TRIPOD brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hee hee, actually I went back to see just..
Price is actually ok for me
But then ar, I don't know much about tripods
Which is why I wanted to go to shop and get a nice uncle to explain to me =D

If my tripod is primarily used for say, landscape photography
a)would i really need a ball head, i think pan tilt head would do, but i don't really know whether eugenep is selling that
b)and which setup would be best, don't want something too heavy, no point buy already muscle pain don't use =D
as always, go with slik if you want something light. ;)
manfrotto ain't exactly heavy (190-series), but when you compared with a slik 330dx... etc, the extra weight is :eek:
manfrotto have light tripod as well, but Im not sure which model =x

as always, go with slik if you want something light. ;)
manfrotto ain't exactly heavy (190-series), but when you compared with a slik 330dx... etc, the extra weight is :eek:
manfrotto have light tripod as well, but Im not sure which model =x
mm, hehe, yar, right now still don't need that sort of tripod with my h2, won't be getting dslr that soon
for sure =D i'm a very stubborn person
nvm, will update you guys
thanks for all the advice

Hi, recently looking for ultra compact tripods (in terms of folded/collasped length) to fit into my crumpler backpack which doesn't have a dedicated tripod holder...

My search criteria revolved around the folded length including the head to be around (or as short as possible) 35cm and fan-out to have the highest possible working height with a min. load of 1.5kg since my typical travel gear will consists of D40 / 18-200mm / SB-400

I looked at the Sprint series from SLIK but was too long folded, Manfrotto only had the 714SHB but is without the head... Then i came about Velbon... any fellow-CSers used or know where to get the Velbon's Ultra-Maxi series ?

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm

Hi, recently looking for ultra compact tripods (in terms of folded/collasped length) to fit into my crumpler backpack which doesn't have a dedicated tripod holder...

My search criteria revolved around the folded length including the head to be around (or as short as possible) 35cm and fan-out to have the highest possible working height with a min. load of 1.5kg since my typical travel gear will consists of D40 / 18-200mm / SB-400

I looked at the Sprint series from SLIK but was too long folded, Manfrotto only had the 714SHB but is without the head... Then i came about Velbon... any fellow-CSers used or know where to get the Velbon's Ultra-Maxi series ?

e tripods have nice design.. :)

eh slik sprint series too long when folded? :sweat:
I find it super short and small already by dSLR-tripod standard. :sweat:

maybe for PnS cam.. or DSLR would be too heavier for the pods le bah..
eh yup, imho slik sprint pro is just barely enough for a consumer dSLR with kit lens...
so I wonder how the velbon maxi will perform since it is even smaller. :confused:

hmm... but correct me if i'm wrong, for my setup a D40 would probably weigh at most 0.6kg, and a 18-200 would weigh in at 0.5kg, so total would be 1.1kg... with sprint or velbon's load capacity (per their respective specs) should be enuff rite?

hmm... but correct me if i'm wrong, for my setup a D40 would probably weigh at most 0.6kg, and a 18-200 would weigh in at 0.5kg, so total would be 1.1kg... with sprint or velbon's load capacity (per their respective specs) should be enuff rite?
try using them when there is moderate wind... the whole tripod will just vibrate.. :confused:
I got a friend who used sprint pro for his d70 + 18-70 kit lens setup, he used to say still "ok" but ended up switching to manfrotto 190prob. :bsmilie:
the slightest touch will induce lot of shake if the tripod is too small/light.

my tripod theory, buy a super cheap one for the moment now, and save up for a really good one. It's a lot cheaper than buying something in between then upgrade and upgrade.

My first tripod was a cheap ~$20 carrefour tripod. a bit short, good for my P&S back then.. upgraded to SLR and continued using it. no prob. till now, i'm still using this cheap and light tripod when i travel.

save up a long time and got myself a tall CF tripod and Foba Superball M1 :thumbsup: ballhead. weighs in at just over a kg and takes 8.5kg loads :D more than enough for a body + 70-200/2.8 and flash combo.

That's right. Dun just look at what you have now. Look further into the future. My theory for anything related to CAMs are as such - buy one that can "withstand" your upgrades in the forseeable future.

As the old adage goes: Your Long pants can be folded to be a pair of Bermudas. But your bermudas cannot be stretch to be a pair of long pants...:bsmilie:

my tripod theory, buy a super cheap one for the moment now, and save up for a really good one. It's a lot cheaper than buying something in between then upgrade and upgrade.

My first tripod was a cheap ~$20 carrefour tripod. a bit short, good for my P&S back then.. upgraded to SLR and continued using it. no prob. till now, i'm still using this cheap and light tripod when i travel.

save up a long time and got myself a tall CF tripod and Foba Superball M1 :thumbsup: ballhead. weighs in at just over a kg and takes 8.5kg loads :D more than enough for a body + 70-200/2.8 and flash combo.

try using them when there is moderate wind... the whole tripod will just vibrate.. :confused:
I got a friend who used sprint pro for his d70 + 18-70 kit lens setup, he used to say still "ok" but ended up switching to manfrotto 190prob. :bsmilie:
the slightest touch will induce lot of shake if the tripod is too small/light.

if add 1 more flash, all the equipment can TIMBER~~~~~~ heehee...

perhaps getting a monopod if on tight budget.. :)

i think not. monopod and tripod serves different purposes and dun really substitute each other.

so far, the common tripods sought after at various quality and price range.
one can start with the PPCP, benro, slik and velbon.
better ones include giottos, manfrotto and feisol.
and gitzo is more favored by some over manfrotto, but it is also priced at a higher rate, esp for its CF.

i think not. monopod and tripod serves different purposes and dun really substitute each other.

so far, the common tripods sought after at various quality and price range.
one can start with the PPCP, benro, slik and velbon.
better ones include giottos, manfrotto and feisol.
and gitzo is more favored by some over manfrotto, but it is also priced at a higher rate, esp for its CF.

agree on your first point.. no point getting a cheapo tripod that cant support the equipment.. n no point gettin a tripod so it fits into backpack.. :)

agree on your first point.. no point getting a cheapo tripod that cant support the equipment.. n no point gettin a tripod so it fits into backpack.. :)

yeah.. if u're using a consumer/prosumer than i'd say it's fine to get a small tripod.. but such tripods can't support the D40.. weight wise some will do well.. but most won't be able to reduce vibrations effectively.. unless u get the Gitzo 1158T...

Just to add, make matter worse if you are using expensive lens like me...I want to make sure it will not topple. Actually I use the Gitzo 1325, a bit heavy and expensive but one for life under any environment - No regrets!

Also getting a good ball head is equally important too...

Just to add, make matter worse if you are using expensive lens like me...I want to make sure it will not topple. Actually I use the Gitzo 1325, a bit heavy and expensive but one for life under any environment - No regrets!

Also getting a good ball head is equally important too...

get is the suitable tripod for the equipment has no regrets.. hee

there is a few ways of looking at it. one can either get one tripod and live with its plus and minus, ie. heavy tripod but able to take current/future upgrades. or get two or more tripod and choose different tripod for different purposes, that is if you can afford and are able to bring out the correct tripod for the expected situation.

contrary to the saying of the berms/pants, there are situations where berms are better than pants, such as the beach or in the water. so pants is not always better.

my advice is get what is suitable for you now, i.e. the heaviest most stable tripod you are willing to carry around (ie. it cannot be too heavy depending on your fitness and willingness) for your current equipment, and depending on how likely you are going to upgrade, provide some reservations if very likely to very heavy additions. also look at the type of photography (e.g. when you add flash, you may not use tripod for some situations, so adding of flash may be a non issue) and the venues you are going. sg isn't that windy, but if you are doing highlands and coastal overseas, you probably need a more steady one. so it varies.

Status
Not open for further replies.