Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
On a long trip (~6 months), you really don't want to lug a lot of stuff around.
Don't forget, you may have to pack summer + winter wear too = a lot of basic stuff already.

What photographic gear would you bring if you really must minimise weight?
Tripod and flash going along?
I am cracking my head deciding what to bring.
Sighhhh...... Any advice/ recommendations?

(P.S. Do note this thread is slightly but significantly different from the other thread asking what people bring. Emphasis here is travelling light for a long trip).

Specific to my needs, would be

1) 40D
2) 17-55
3) 70-200 F4IS
4) cleaning kit
5) tripod (benro)
6) laptop

Think should be sufficient for me.

camera + 1 lens + small flash + small tripod/table pod + spare battery + lots of memory cards + notebook + chargers

make no difference if a 3 day or 3 months trip...... except maybe bring along a cleaning kit, a backup camera and a larger capacity memory storage device for a trip longer than a week

1) Camera body
2) 17-55 or equivalent
3) cleaning kit
4) tripod
5) laptop
6) PnS for back up.

I'm thinking whether to bring tripod or not... and flash too.
The tripod was a pain during my last trip in terms of being a troublesome bulky stick and the weight. The weight of my gear was a pain on my last trip as I had brought tripod, big flash, 3 medium lens + 1 big lens + 1 body.
I realise I would not want to carry so much weight (don't forget I have own luggage too) so I'm thinking of how I can reduce the stuff that I bring.
On the other hand, I worried of not bringing something that I would need. Sighhhh...
I am considering not bringing my tripod, macro lens and flash.
And just to take body + 3 small-medium lens (UWA, medium prime, telezoom) + the extras like cards, battery, cleaning kit, etc.
Also, since it is a long trip, I would be bringing my laptop and that is already 2 kg!

Where will you be going?

Tripod is essential to me cos i will like to capture night scenes of those countries..
For me, flash is less essential than tripod...

Mine would be
> D700
> 24-70mmf2.8
> 70-300mm f4-5.6VR
> SB800 ( maybe pending on activites/counries)
> Xpan n film
> Vosonic portable storage
> lightest tripod ( a pain to bring but if there's not much chance to use then don't)

No laptop because if going for long trips,it's the biggest headache to lug one along because with the various chargers,backpack will be damn heavy and security will be compromised. Security because leaving it at the hostel inside the backpack will be iffy plus there will be lotsa transport to be taken so can't store it in the main backpack as it may get crushed.

Cheers

18-200mm and a wide angles lens is okay, plus the 50mm 1.8 is so small that you can actually put inside your pocket. hehehe a gorillapod and a flash.

LX3 or I would get m4/3

Ahhh... gorillapod! That's an idea!

... yes. And I would sincerely suggest that you get a good one while you are at it.
You are not going to risk your multi-thousand dollar setup crashing onto the floor as a result of a sub-standard quality gorillapod...
My very very humble recommendation.

... yes. And I would sincerely suggest that you get a good one while you are at it.
You are not going to risk your multi-thousand dollar setup crashing onto the floor as a result of a sub-standard quality gorillapod...
My very very humble recommendation.

Of course will get the original one.
Even this already looks risky enough, but at least it is reputable.

Of course will get the original one.
Even this already looks risky enough, but at least it is reputable.

Haha...:bsmilie: I totally agree with you, WuffRuff.
Actually, the Gorillapod Focus isn't too bad. Strong and tough. Can cling on to lots of things as its legs are well capable of contorting into all angles.
My equipment weighs around 4-5kg, and they are held well by this pod.
I've decided to bring the Gorilla instead of my tripod for my upcoming trip...

Haha...:bsmilie: I totally agree with you, WuffRuff.
Actually, the Gorillapod Focus isn't too bad. Strong and tough. Can cling on to lots of things as its legs are well capable of contorting into all angles.
My equipment weighs around 4-5kg, and they are held well by this pod.
I've decided to bring the Gorilla instead of my tripod for my upcoming trip...

Wahh! You are brave to put 4-5 kg on it!
My equipment weighs even less so it should be even safer and more stable. :)
Yeah, I think I'm gonna take this too instead of my tripod... I kinda haven't got over the pain of lugging my tripod around on my last trip!
Where got good deals for this?

Wahh! You are brave to put 4-5 kg on it!
My equipment weighs even less so it should be even safer and more stable. :)
Yeah, I think I'm gonna take this too instead of my tripod... I kinda haven't got over the pain of lugging my tripod around on my last trip!
Where got good deals for this?

The Gorillapod Focus is the highest of the Joby Gorillapod range.
It can take a max load of 5kg.
For the Joby pods, I have confidence in it. Personally won't screw my equipment on any other third party gorillas...
Cathay Photo is the sole agent. Won't say it's good deal lah, but I just buy it from them lor.
The second level in the range is the cheaper $90 Gorillapod (can't remember the model name) but this one can only hold up to 3kg.

Darn.... in the beginning i thought u guys was just kidding about bringing the gorilapod.

gorillapod is a must...

however i have not much experience in long trips (On what to bring)

but my dad went on a 4 mth trip to italy and this is what he brought,

D200
18-200
50mm f/1.4
Quite a few cf cards
Thinktank speed freak

gorillapod is a must...

however i have not much experience in long trips (On what to bring)

but my dad went on a 4 mth trip to italy and this is what he brought,

D200
18-200
50mm f/1.4
Quite a few cf cards
Thinktank speed freak

Haiyah... I finally still decided to bring both my tripod as well as my Gorilla for my coming trip. Weight is not an issue. Can leave the tripod in the vehicle. But will carry the Gorilla when I walk around.

Haiyah... I finally still decided to bring both my tripod as well as my Gorilla for my coming trip. Weight is not an issue. Can leave the tripod in the vehicle. But will carry the Gorilla when I walk around.

In japan, weight is no issue as well cos home is only an hour away from wherever i go in tokyo

but anywhere else, i wouldn't bring too many things.

the gorillapod is still ok

Status
Not open for further replies.