Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gorillapod Focus is the highest of the Joby Gorillapod range.
It can take a max load of 5kg.
For the Joby pods, I have confidence in it. Personally won't screw my equipment on any other third party gorillas...
Cathay Photo is the sole agent. Won't say it's good deal lah, but I just buy it from them lor.
The second level in the range is the cheaper $90 Gorillapod (can't remember the model name) but this one can only hold up to 3kg.

How much does the Gorillapod Focus cost at Cathay?
What is its weight and height?
Are you able to set it on the ground for landscapes or night scenes?
Thanks.

How much does the Gorillapod Focus cost at Cathay?
What is its weight and height?
Are you able to set it on the ground for landscapes or night scenes?
Thanks.

It is going at Cathay Photo for $211.
Can set on the ground no problem.
As for the exact height and weight I can't find it in the insert from the box.
Let me check on that and get back to you...

Ok. got it.
It weighs 500gm
And it is 29cm in height.
Very comfortable to carry or hang around my belt with lens pouches.

I love my Gitzo GT1541T for traveling... Light and easy to carry around.

Thanks, limwhow.
I saw the website.
Most likely I will get the SLR-zoom with ballhead.
I saw that it can take 70-200 and I wouldn't have any lens heavier than that. :)

I dun really lug around a laptop except for trips further than kl/jakarta and of course business trips.

I guess when u travel, esp with the family, (and two lil kids!) its best to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the place. We've worked so much, let alone spend time with the kids. When I travel, its time to live life. So no time for laptops or iphone apps, lol. ;)

As for reviewing pictures (on a large screen), that'll have to wait till we get back. For now the lcd would suffice.

For Convenience:
1) 10-22
2) 24-105

For "Creative" mode ;):
1) nikon FM
2) 50 f1.8
3) 20 f2.8
4) LX3

And the gorilla pod zoom is tempting.

light set up for me

5D
EF 24 F2.8
EF 50 F1.4
Sigma 150 F2.8 maco
430ex/270ex
sliksprint pro tripod(abt 700-800 grams?)

the 2 primes weigh next to nothing and the 150mm macro acts as a macro + tele lens. Slik is a good travel tripod with its lightweight, and if you are travelling light set-up wise, it is able to support the weight of your gear.

1. 5d2
2. grip
3. 24-105 IS
4. 50mm 1.8
5. 580EX 2
6. four folds carbon fiber tripod
7. EeePc laptop

Wat about a student going to australia to study for min. of 1 year?

Do I need to bring a dry box over to store my camera gear? as australia has 4 seasons, so I'm not sure what it will do to my camera if I just leave it in the bag all the time.

if i really wanted to travel light, i would use a d40x/d90 along with a 18-200 VRII from Nikon. Canon wise I would choose a 450d and 18-200. and maybe an ultra wide angle zoom like the 10-22 or 12-24.

Light means different things to different people. It is mostly a comparative thing.

I think it depends on what kind of long trip and the kind of photography one is interested in. I split the weight category into several types.

<500g - Suitable for traveling with family (with lots and lots of kids), business trips, bulk averse ladies/gentlemen, or as a backup camera. Apart from the GF-1 the other PnS are not comparable to dSLR in terms of image quality

Canon S90 - 175 g
Fujifilm F200EXR - 175g
Panasonic LX3 - 229g
Canon G11- 355g
Panasonic GF-1 - 315g + 150g(14-45 OIS lens) = 465g

500g-700g - Suitable for family trips (with a few kids), business trips with a bit of tolerance of weight and individuals who are demanding on image quality
Panasonic G1 - 360g + 150g(14-45mm lens) = 510g
Panasonic GH1 - 385g + 150g(14-45mm lens) = 525g
Olympus EP-1 - 355g + 150g(14-42 M.Zuiko lens) = 505g
Olympus E450 - 426g + 190g(14-42 Zuiko lens) = 616g

700g-1kg - Suitable for business trips, family trips and individuals who are particular about image quality and who are quite tolerant of a little bit of weight

Mostly entry level dSLRs with kit lens
Canon 1000D - 502g + 200g(18-55 IS) = 702g
Canon 500D - 520g + 200g(18-55 IS) = 720g
Pentax Kx - 580g +225g(18-55 AL) = 805g
Olympus E620 - 515g + 190g(14-42 Zuiko lens) = 705g
Nikon D3000 - 536g + 265g (18-55 VR) = 801g
Nikon D5000 - 590g + 265g (18-55 VR) = 855g
Nikon D90 - 703g + 265g (18-55 VR) = 968g
Sony A230 - 490g + 210g(18-55) = 700g
Sony A380 - 519g + 210g(18-55) = 729g
Sony A500 - 630g + 210g(18-55) = 840g
Sony A550 - 632g + 210g(18-55) = 842g
etc...

It seems like the A230 with 18-55 is the lightest kit around - apart from the olympus E450. Note that the E450 does not have in body IS. Up to this point I have to say that, on paper at least, the Panasonic GF-1 is unparalleled in terms of weight vs image quality...

>1kg - The options are quite limiteless. Suitable for photography trips. Enthusiats, prosumers, semi-pros and professionals. I did not include the kit lens weight as most users of this range of cameras would probably not stick with basic kit lenses...

Nikon D700 - 1074g
Canon 5D2 - 850g
Canon 7D - 860g
Olympus E3 - 890g
Olympus E30 - 665g
Nikon D300(s) - 938g
Sony A900 - 895g
Sony A850 - 895g
Sony A700 - 768g
Pentax K7 - 750g

Last edited:
in that perspective, this is my 'light' gear:

5D Mark II body
17-40mm f/4
50mm f/1.4
70-200mm f/2.8 IS
400mm f/5.6
Induro c-013 Carbon Fibre tripod with Manfrotto ball head(i think its the biggest ballhead they have)
Macbook Pro 17"
lots of filters and accessories
All this inside the Lowepro Computrekker bag

as for my 'heavy' gear.. it includes stuff like Horseman L45 large format view camera - you dont wanna get me started :bsmilie:

travel light = 5D, 17-40, 35/2, and a 85/1.8. maybe the carbon fibre tripod as well. if feeling stronng then maybe the 100 macro as well

found that i dont really shoot anything beyond 100mm, so the 70-200 usually stays home.

On a long trip (~6 months), you really don't want to lug a lot of stuff around.
Don't forget, you may have to pack summer + winter wear too = a lot of basic stuff already.

What photographic gear would you bring if you really must minimise weight?
Tripod and flash going along?
I am cracking my head deciding what to bring.
Sighhhh...... Any advice/ recommendations?

(P.S. Do note this thread is slightly but significantly different from the other thread asking what people bring. Emphasis here is travelling light for a long trip).

A camera body+50mm f1.4lens and a Compact Ricoh GRDIII

It will cover your trip:)

6 months??? where r u going?

for long trips on the go (though i've not been on one, though working i've been for more than that), other than weight, you should consider backups too as the places that u go may not have replacement.

the following is what i do, as i crack my brain for every trip. they are still heavy for me but i compromise little for my usage. the below is listed in terms of priorities.

1. camera body
- confirm bring DSLR?
- consider bringing backup DSLR body, get a 2nd hand entry level DSLR cost you only S$400-800. without the lens, you can buy one of those hard plastic food containers (like lock-lock) and fit it snugly within. chuck into check in and if anything ever happens to your main DSLR, you still can use the same lens, cards and batteries (check compatibility).
- some people bring compact along with DSLR. the compact is useful for concerts or other places where DSLR is too loud, or if the compact is weather proof or water resistant to superficial water eg rafting, replaces the DSLR. however, the need for different charger and accessories can make bringing an additional compact system heavier than an extra DSLR body.

2. camera lens
- at least two lens, same reason as above - backup.
- what lens to bring varies greatly on your usage
- maybe one of them can be a 18-200mm that fits all
- the other can be one that u can potentially survive on for all your pics, for me more than 1/2 my pics are on ultrawide, so i'll bring my 10-20mm. some survive a whole trip on 50mm f/1.8.
- if you dun want to bring a 18-200mm, bring the 2nd most frequently used lens
- if a third lens considered, that can be a light prime. e.g. 50mm f/1.8
- is there occasions that you die-die must bring a fast-tele? drop this idea if there are none as such lens weighs far more than a kg. occasions that fast tele is very useful, other than sports and safari, is crowded festival locations or stadium with fixed sitting locations. alternative of fast tele-zoom is fast tele prime. if nikon, 180mm f/2 is an option.

3. lens cap & protective filters
- you dun have to bring one for each lens even if different thread size
- buy a step-up rings for each size, all up to 77mm, reason rings are much lighter and easier to carry
- then bring 1 extra 77m cap. (if you kiasu, 2)
- likewise same for UV filters, buy the cheapest ones for backup
- put into rounded hard plastic food containers (like lock-lock) and fit it snugly within. you can find more of these food container options at big supermarket - like carrefour.
- yes, these containers do weigh, but not too much, and you can check them in with no worries, which to me is worthwhile

4. batteries and charger
- 2 to 3 bat should be safe. if you really want to cut down, at least 2 bat. 3 is if your DSLR need 2 bat power a day. 2 if your DSLR or daily shoot is low on consumption
- bring >1 charger? i take that risk with only 1 charger as spoilt charger is so rarely heard of.
- plug convertors? if u going to only one location with a single type of plug, i'll try to see i can get that for my charger instead of using the UK 3 rectangular pins and the universal convertor, which can be loose on the socket due to the weight. but i'll still bring a universal convertor as backup. shop around for a light one (put on your hand and estimate) as some universal convertor are super heavy. for some plugs, there is also options but not so easy to find, i know the 2 flat pin us-japan-taiwan plug can be easily converted to 2 round pin euro plug by a flat convertor instead of the block-like univesal convertor
- extension cords can be considered. go DIY shop and feel for the lightest 3 socket set. ask the DIY shop if they can help you shorten the rubber cord to 1m. it saves a lot of weight and 1m is usually more than enough for the wall plug to the bedside table. of cos, this cord adds up weight, but it is convinient when you need to charge laptop, handphone and DSLR battery - unless you bring less than that or dun mind the hassle of checking the power and change it when one device is powered up (affect your sleep).

5. cards, laptop and storage
- now with cheap cards, brings lots of them that will last you for a day (or more if you are hiking without your main luggage).
- you obviously cannot only use cards as u r out for 6 months.
- u also need to worry abt spoiling of storage as you r out for 6 months.
- plan 1-2 locations of storage. considering if cards only for temp storage
- for me, i use a netbook (asus eee PC 910), a OTG, a portable HDD (ok, i know that is heavy).
- consider a netbook instead of laptop becos the charger and cords used by the netbook is also smaller and lighter. however, netbook may be limited in functions (no photoshopping) and internal HDD size.
- an OTG is on the go card reading portable HDD. it can read cards and transfer (picture viewing is more expensive and not-easy-to-browse though safer, i'm not sure how much they cost now over non-pic-viewing OTG), and can be attached to laptops/netbook as a portable too. OTG can spoil too, like laptop. but if i bring both netbook and OTG, then i still can save pic even if one of them spoilt or lost. the weight of a 2kg laptop + 500gm charger/cord can still be heavier than a 1kg netbook + 200gm charger/cord + 400gm OTG/charger
- as i said above, my ASUS netbook dun have enough internal storage, so i bring an extra portable HDD. they are light and affordable nowadays.
- if you are tight on weight and willing to compromise on a little safety, netbook + non-OTG portable HDD weighs about 1.5kg (1.0 + 0.2 + 0.3)
- if you ever come across the elecom brand USB cord (mini-B to B), buy it. the cord is less than 15cm long. it won't save much weight, but is less messy to use. many elecom items are made in japan, and they dun fail as often as the made in china accessories which i experience. yes, usb cord can fail.
- protection for OTG and portable HDD? they are usually safe in clothes padded bags. if you kiasu, can consider buying buffalo branded casing (more sturdy, but $$) or get some special padding (peninsula level 2 and shaw tower got some of those camping/travelling shops. they are near cathay and TK, so is quite convinient).

6. cleaning kit
- blower + lenspen
- blower: i use made in japan UN jumbo hurricane (look like this) as it is light, easy to press and still relatively power. some blower are plain big, or small and weak, or simply so hard to press that your hypothenar muscles (the part of palm at the side of the little finger) will ache after some use.
- lenspen is cheap and good and easy to carry around. cost about $10+

7. camera bag
- ok, bag also weighs although most ppl dun remember this.
- you need one check-in bag and backpack is the way to go.
- next consider, your check-in-bag, daypack, and camera-bag. - can they be the same bag?
- for me, due to multiple lens and fast shooting pattern, i use holster for my camera bag. i've just got black rapid side sling for cam body (not tested for overseas trip yet) and it will probably complimemnt my thinktank unpadded waist belt with 3 pouches for lenses, accessories and a lonely planet if needed (only if flatter versions). i do not use daypack on the go.
- for check-in, i go beach road army market and get the lightest deuter daypack (10-15L).
- i also have an optechusa chest strap which is light enough for a back-up. but just like charger, i won't recommend a backup as the strap is not likely to spoil.

The above is my essentials. the below is what you may consider to bring.

1. flash
- when do you use flash? on the go? do you flash human subjects? do you use flash for night markets or night streets?
- i dunno how to use flash well plus i dun like to flash on strangers, so i dun bring one or when i bring one, i never use it. i find the occasions that i need a flash is so rare and not impt. but it is up to you.
- if you use nikon, how abt the smaller sb400?

2. tripod
- tripod might be more commonly used than flash. but with better ISO nowadays, tripod is more for really night and long exposure, e.g. waterfall, coastal, traffic trails, star trails. and for some, self shooting. but how often would you bring it out is another concern.
- lighter options include gorrilapod, cheap lousy tripods that rattle like a rattle snake, or if you can afford good tripod head and legs. a 1.1kg gitzo leg and a 300+gm markins head sounds great but i'm not going to mention the damage on your wallet. i got a 0.8kg gitzo but find it a little light for tele.

hope this is useful. it is not comprehensive of cos... and to save weight, you got to most imptly consider your needs and be cautious abt it. of cos, $ can save weight too, but how much you will spend really depends. i have personally experience damages and see other with damages, so extra body, extra lens (anyway u may bring more than 1), extra bat, extra sstorage, extra filter/lens cap are not far-fetched considerations.

i'm not sure if insurance is worthwhile considering for your duration. most ppl dun becos of the high cost, hassle and limited returns, but dunno if that is the same for long period of travel.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write out such a long and detailed reply.
It has been most helpful and thanks to the others for their contributions too; also helpful.

For filters, which are the most essential ones, besides the default UV filter?
I'm thinking ND filters but I don't want to bring too many - which ND filter is the most useful/ widely used?

On power issues, since I will be going all over the place, do you know where I can get those universal power adaptor cum converter? I mean something that not only is able to fit multiple socket head but converts the electrical voltage as well. I've come across something that does this on the net but it is expensive. Wonder if can find it around here for cheaper.

I have 8Gb + 8Gb + 2 Gb CF cards. Thinking if I should get another 8Gb.
How much CF card memory do you bring.
I'll bring my laptop along.
Thinking of getting an OTG in case something happens to my laptop.
You have any recommendations? I don't need to be able to view photos since I have my laptop.
These OTGs, the good ones are expensive, the cheap ones, I feel that they look flimsy and unreliable.
What do you think of the cheap ones? (forgot the brand but its common).

The Elecom USB cord is a good recommendation. I'll get it.
Don't get what you mean by clothes padded bags or special padding from camping shops.

Using waist belt with pouches when travelling is convenient for shooting, but doesn't it make it too obvious that you've got expensive lenses in them?
I'm a bit worried about screaming that I'm a photographer and have expensive camera gear with me when travelling, though I like this idea.

Wah, 10-15L bag ok for you?!? I'll definitely need something bigger.

Yeahh, the flash is the first thing I decided NOT to bring.
Seldom use when travelling and not essential anyway.
Actually I use flash for macro but I don't foresee doing that much of that on this trip and it's not worth the weight.

Tripod is the one that I had been in a dilemma. I have the 1.1kg Gitzo and 300g Markins that you were talking about but this adds up to almost 1.5 kg which is quite a lot of weight in my opinion. I do foresee that it will be frequently useful but I don't want to lug that extra weight around. In the end, I decided to get a Jobi Gorrilapod but I haven't gone to the shop to see yet. What do you think of using this? I'm worried that it may be difficult to use, in terms of being able to find things that it can attach to.

Agree about backups... definitely will bring backups.

I always get insurance for travel but I haven't found anything that is good and fairly economical. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.