Torn btw Sony Nex-5N & Samsung NX200

egoiste

Nov 13, 2011
Recently i've became exceptionally interested in Photography. 10 years ago my friends had introduced me to photography but i was nv interested. 10 years later, here i'm posting and asking qns abt cameras.

My interests might be just a spur of the moment. As i'm going for an overseas trip with my gf this coming Dec, i decided that i want to take picture with better qualities. I have a Sony TX1 but those pictures produce are always not up to standard once they are viewed on PC.

I was reading thru review and the camera that caught my eye was Sony Nex-5n. The outlook is somewhat that i really love. More or less i'm set with Sony Nex-5N, currently just waiting for Sitex to come (Buying it during the show).

Yesterday, as i was reading some tech stuff i chance upon Samsung NX200. Almost the same design as Sony Nex series, same cat (mirrorless) and same sensor (APS-C). Below are some of the details i gathered.

Samsung NX200 Pros
1. NX200 is priced @ abt $900 which is abt 200~300 lower than Nex-5N
2. NX200 has a 20.3mp compared to Nex-5N's 16.1mp
3. Saw sample IQ of NX200 vs Nex-5N, Shots taken with ISO lower than 3200 were better.

Sony NEX-5N Pros
1. Better IQ on higher iso
2. Better battery stamina (450 shot compared to 250 shot on NX200)
3. Faster processing with taking in RAW (7 bust shot on NX200 takes 1 min to proc)
4. More accessories and avail adaptor for other mounting lens.

I've looked thru the NEX picture thread here and i realised that NEX-5N can have other lens mounted on it.
I have seen picture taken with Tammy, Ziess, Sony lens. Therefore i was given the impression that its more flexible.

Qns
1. What is the good part of taking pictures in RAW format?
2. What for filters used for? For Nex n NX they are 49mm?
3. If i were to buy NX200, i'm restricted to just Samsung lens?

I was reading thru review and the camera that caught my eye was Sony Nex-5n. The outlook is somewhat that i really love. More or less i'm set with Sony Nex-5N, currently just waiting for Sitex to come (Buying it during the show).

HORRIBLE choice. Usually the Sitex/Comex/etc shows are just money-sucking stress pits. You'll pay RRP and get a bunch of useless "freebies". However, sometimes, just very very very rarely, there is actually a good deal.

Yesterday, as i was reading some tech stuff i chance upon Samsung NX200. Almost the same design as Sony Nex series, same cat (mirrorless) and same sensor (APS-C). Below are some of the details i gathered.

Even though both are APS-C sized, they are not the same sensor. Right now the Sony sensor in the 5N (shared with the Nikon D7000, etc) is possible the best APS-C sensor out there.

Qns
1. What is the good part of taking pictures in RAW format?
2. What for filters used for? For Nex n NX they are 49mm?
3. If i were to buy NX200, i'm restricted to just Samsung lens?

Your questions 1 and 2 really have nothing to do with your topic... RAW means you have the "digital negative" and can really squeeze the most out of every image. Google for "RAW vs JPEG". Filters are attached to lenses and have a variety of purposes. Google for "Photographic filters". Filter thread will depend on the lens. Samsung uses the NX mount. Not sure if other manufacturers make lenses for it.

Have you read the DPReview preview of the NX200? They compare it to the NEX too.

NX200 is a nice choice if you consider the nice and rather small native primes.
To me this is its advantage over Nex system.

Its a wash if you use the zooms.

Nex5n has better high iso performance.

Adapted lenses on either systems are manual focus only.

NX200 is a nice choice if you consider the nice and rather small native primes.
To me this is its advantage over Nex system.

Its a wash if you use the zooms.
Sorry but I just can't agree with this statement in good conscience from my experience with both these systems.
The Samsung NX 18-55mm and 20-55mm kit lenses and the 50-200mm telezoom lens (all of which I own) are all far superior optically to the equivalent NEX lenses. The NEX lenses released so far are just crap glasses as far as I'm concerned and that's what's holding me back from buying any more NEX cameras until they start releasing some quality lenses.

The forthcoming NX 18-200mm superzoom will even have a Voice Coil Motor which would make it super quiet during focusing and fast zoom tracking and will therefore be ideal for video shooting. Currently only the Lumix GX Power Zoom lenses (not available yet) and Nikon 1's 10-100mm Power Drive superzoom (available) have such quiet motors built-in.

Last edited:
For the Samsung NX200, how long is the warranty?

If i were to buy the NEX-5N, which brand of filter should i buy?
If i were to buy the Carl Zeiss lens which the announce tgt with Nex-5N.. is it worth it?
If not what other lens can i look @ to "enhance"? Using other lens, i will still get AF?

If i were to buy the Carl Zeiss lens which the announce tgt with Nex-5N.. is it worth it?
If not what other lens can i look @ to "enhance"? Using other lens, i will still get AF?

1. Ask Samsung. Or ask a shop.
2. Whichever brand you want. Better filters cost more $$$. But ask yourself first if you need a filter.
3. Up to you. "Worth it" is your own choice. Some will scream "YES!!!" others will scream "NO!!!".
4. You will get AF will all E-mount lenses, and AF if you use the EA2 adapter and the A-mount Alpha Af lenses.

>>Better check with the shop

>> Filter diameter is dependent on lens, not camera.
Other filters like CPL, ND, GND, you better do a read up on them first before buying.
So don't buy any filter for your lens except a protective one if you want one.

>> Worth or not, depends on what you want. Lots of ppl take good photos with CZ lenses.
My advice is not to venture too far and spend too much money first.
Get to know what is what before getting more things.

>> As long as the lenses are native AF lenses, you will get AF.
As mentioned above. Don't just jump in w/o knowing what is what. Get the basic kit, then move on from there.
You can also use the camera to test out any new lens you want to buy, eliminating question like is it AF, is it good and such.

If you're interested in Manual Focus, then the Nex is a great choice for the peaking feature. Note thought that any camera will allow you to manual focus. Even Samsung.

However if you want autofocus, maybe it's better looking at Samsung or even the micro four thirds... I love manual focus, but sometimes I get lazy and then it is GREAT to have small/ good IQ lenses in my Olympus system.

Personally, the Nex CZ 25mm prime's size and weight makes it a no-go for me...

As for your questions:

1. Raw conserves more information, and so is the choice for people (like me) who post-process everything.
2. There are so many filters, each doing different things. Some people like simple UV (transparent) filters because it protects the lens; some think that it degrades image quality. Then there are other filters that make your image look different (the most common act like sunglasses so you can take darker shots when it's bright).
3. No, you can use manual focus lenses too. But for auto focus, you're stuck with Samsung.

Sitex is end of this month. No wonder I got people whom I know, asking me which cam is good.
Anyway, why Samsung or Sony DSLR? :dunno:

The accessories and stuff are not widely see in S'pore market.
As what Rashkae said, Sitex "offers" are mostly giving you those "useless freebies". Most of the time, it's wasted and in the dustbin.

Personally, the Nex CZ 25mm prime's size and weight makes it a no-go for me...

yea the AF's not very quick on the NEX. it's still using CDAF. however...

the CZ 24mm (not 25mm) is pretty light at 225, considering it's an ALL METAL construction. plus it's a CZ lens. and it's pretty small. what size are you comparing it to? MFT primes? for a fact, MFT primes can be really small.

Sitex is end of this month. No wonder I got people whom I know, asking me which cam is good.
Anyway, why Samsung or Sony DSLR? :dunno:

why not Samsung or Sony? must everything be Canikon or MFT?

Samsung Pros: good lenses, compact lenses
Samsung Cons: sensor can be better, interface... to me it's all gimmicky

NEX Pros: compact, lightweight and intuitive UI, and practically everyone's making mount adaptors for the e-mount, inclusive of the LA-EA2 which allows PDAF with all A-mount lenses, Screwdrive even
NEX Cons: Lenses can be better in terms of IQ, CDAF is pretty slow

It's quite difficult for me to accept that someone is considering mirrorless systems when he/she shows "exceptional interest" in photography. :)

If you are really into photography, I would suggest your first camera to be a DSLR. That's when you learn the most. If you just wanna take pictures and don't want to be bothered by all the basics and theories, then that will be a different story. Just my 2 cents.

It's quite difficult for me to accept that someone is considering mirrorless systems when he/she shows "exceptional interest" in photography. :)

If you are really into photography, I would suggest your first camera to be a DSLR. That's when you learn the most. If you just wanna take pictures and don't want to be bothered by all the basics and theories, then that will be a different story. Just my 2 cents.

everyone starts somewhere, everyone has their learning curve.

just because you learnt from using a DSLR doesn't mean someone will learn the same way.

i learnt how to use Manual Mode from using my old Fuji S7000, and the basics of how shutter speed and ISO work too.

don't belittle the little cameras.

Well... tat was really old school... if you are looking it that way, then I would think that many photographers would have tell you, they cannot accept someone who is considering DSLR system when he/she show "exceptional interest" in photography. If you are really into photography, then you should start off with a old film camera, stay hours in the dark room and stuff like that. DSLR? That is really kid's toys.

But not for me. I find that you can learn photography from any cameras with some manual control... or doesn't even need to have manual control... knowing ISO, knowing aperture setting and knowing shutter speed is one thing... learning how to frame your picture, how to compose your photos... well... that is the main thing of photography... at least according to myself.

Why not? The topic is not even DSLR :confused:

why not Samsung or Sony? must everything be Canikon or MFT?

Samsung Pros: good lenses, compact lenses
Samsung Cons: sensor can be better, interface... to me it's all gimmicky

NEX Pros: compact, lightweight and intuitive UI, and practically everyone's making mount adaptors for the e-mount, inclusive of the LA-EA2 which allows PDAF with all A-mount lenses, Screwdrive even
NEX Cons: Lenses can be better in terms of IQ, CDAF is pretty slow

I think you guys got my intention wrong. I wasn't against this topic.
I was asking TS whether he had looked at other brands also?

I think you guys got my intention wrong. I wasn't against this topic.
I was asking TS whether he had looked at other brands also?

He's not looking for a DSLR, he's looking at mirrorless. Specifically, he wants an APS-C mirrorless. As such, what other brands are there (except maybe a Leica M8)?

Well... tat was really old school... if you are looking it that way, then I would think that many photographers would have tell you, they cannot accept someone who is considering DSLR system when he/she show "exceptional interest" in photography. If you are really into photography, then you should start off with a old film camera, stay hours in the dark room and stuff like that. DSLR? That is really kid's toys.

But not for me. I find that you can learn photography from any cameras with some manual control... or doesn't even need to have manual control... knowing ISO, knowing aperture setting and knowing shutter speed is one thing... learning how to frame your picture, how to compose your photos... well... that is the main thing of photography... at least according to myself.

You may have an eye for the perfect framing and composition but if you use the wrong aperture and shutter settings, do you still think the picture is well taken? The main thing of photography is not just about composition. Photography = Exposure + composition. Both equally important.