Torn btw Sony Nex-5N & Samsung NX200

I should increase F under wat circumstances?

F-stop number n Aperture size...
the F/8 is F-stop number? What is it?

For Aperture, the bigger it is the more light can enter?

F-stop number n Aperture size...
the F/8 is F-stop number? What is it?

For Aperture, the bigger it is the more light can enter?

more light can enter, but Depth of Field will decrease.

smaller F-Stop number (1.4, 2.8 etc) means larger Aperture Size.

why don't you google "Aperture" or take up the free class?

at least you'll learn more than just wait for the answer

1. Please read the newbies guides to photography. It explains aperture, shutter speed, etc.
2. Read your MANUAL. It also explains these.
3. You have a free class from Sony. Go to it.

In the meantime, shoot in Auto till you have an understanding of the basics.

FYI: Your problems are basic and elementary. It's not unique to the NEX, you'll have the same problems with all cameras because your basic, fundamental skills are lacking. Please read up and learn first.

bruggink said:
You may have an eye for the perfect framing and composition but if you use the wrong aperture and shutter settings, do you still think the picture is well taken? The main thing of photography is not just about composition. Photography = Exposure + composition. Both equally important.

Tell that to Chia Aik Beng.

Anyway, TS, congrats on the new purchase. It's a great camera. Have fun with it!

With regard to your questions, they are very very basic. I suggest you pick up Scott Kelby books (super cheap), your NEX user manual and a cuppa joe. :)

Last edited:
It's quite difficult for me to accept that someone is considering mirrorless systems when he/she shows "exceptional interest" in photography. :)

If you are really into photography, I would suggest your first camera to be a DSLR. That's when you learn the most. If you just wanna take pictures and don't want to be bothered by all the basics and theories, then that will be a different story. Just my 2 cents.

in the past: film went, digital comes (although for pro work, film stays)
in the future: DSLR went, mirrorless comes (although for pro work, DSLR stays)

I should increase F under wat circumstances?

Bigger aperture (smaller f-value) = thinner DOF (this mean less area in a scene are in focus)
Smaller aperture (bigger f-value) = deeper DOF (this mean more area in a scene are in focus).

DOF = depth of field (which mean the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in your picture to remain focused.)

So you might want to understand the distance between yourself and your subject and taking that into your calculation for the aperture. For me... I don't actually do the physical calculation (too much hassle), I trial and error a number of times to get a aperture value that is more or less what I want for a given subject and the distance between myself to the subject.

So in one word - practice more.

Also note that if you are using a smaller aperture, less light will be allowed through your lens to the surface of your sensor, so more time is needed for the shutter to remain open so that the picture is properly exposed, or the sensitivity of the sensor to light needed to be increase (increase in ISO)... for the former, if you have a steady hand and can hold the camera long enough without shivering, shaking and stuff and your subject could hold still for that given amount of time your shutter are open, then you can get a sharp and crisp and almost noise free picture (ISO preferably below 800)... the latter, would definitely increase your shutter speed, but you will get pretty noisy picture, because your ISO is too high (as was demonstrated by your photos).

So one way is to use a tripod, nail your subject to the ground and make sure he or she don't move at all... or use a flash... that would definitely increase your shutter speed... but that would also bring you to another learning level (flash photography).

Hi TS. I had the same question 3 days ago. I was torn between the nex5n and nx200.

I choose the nex5n as I like how it feels on my hands, design and everything. If you want a more "professional" feel in my opinion nx200 would be better as there are more control dials and buttons compared to the nex5n. Both I believe are great cameras won't go wrong with any. Don't worry too much on specs wise, both are around the same, go with which feels more comfortable in your hands and eyes. :)

PS: nx200 is a newer release compared to nex5n

i thought you were referencing some obscure euphemism for something else altogether :bsmilie:

Oops didn't saw u alrdy for ur cam. Welcome to the nex family :)

in the past: film went, digital comes (although for pro work, film stays)
in the future: DSLR went, mirrorless comes (although for pro work, DSLR stays)

That is sooooo wrong.

In the past: Film went. digital come? Even up till now or in any forseeable future, both will still exist together.

And even nowadays, a digital sensor can produce pics that is of the same quality as the film and most professionals had change to using digital rather than film. While we are still finding large number of people still playing with film that are not professionals.

In the future: DSLR went, mirrorless come? that is sooooo wrong too. All was base in assumption. Like film (in the past and present), both DSLR and mirrorless will co-exists... and not to mention there are other formats such as DSLT and GX. So who say DSLR will go? While the market became mirrorless?

That is sooooo wrong.

In the past: Film went. digital come? Even up till now or in any forseeable future, both will still exist together.

And even nowadays, a digital sensor can produce pics that is of the same quality as the film and most professionals had change to using digital rather than film. While we are still finding large number of people still playing with film that are not professionals.

In the future: DSLR went, mirrorless come? that is sooooo wrong too. All was base in assumption. Like film (in the past and present), both DSLR and mirrorless will co-exists... and not to mention there are other formats such as DSLT and GX. So who say DSLR will go? While the market became mirrorless?

i hope that mirrorless fanboy doesn't come in here

Those are HIGH ISO setting, definitely come with noise, esp the 1. its only 1/6 secs, slight handshake will make the pic blur.
try play more with manual and understand the iso, f and shutter speed. have fun :)

1. f/3.5, 1/6secs, iso3200
2. f/3.5, 1/40secs, iso3200
3. f/4, 1/60secs, iso3200
4. f/8, 1/10secs, iso6400

egosite,

you really need to start by understanding the interacting relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed in exposures (as a start). A year ago, i didn't know an f-stop from a bus stop, and whilst it seemed intimidating at first, once you get the hang of things, it is much easier.

once you understand ISO,f-stop and shutter speed and how the camera meters, then you can understand what sort of recommended settings are preferred or prioritised in various types of photography like landscape, portrait, low light, etc.

If you just understand these simple things you will be able to understand why your pictures do come out right or wrong. And when they are wrong, you will also learn how to adjust your settings so it will come out better.

All the information is available on the internet if you search.

Its a journey that is very rewarding so i urge you to take it and learn :) Enjoy!