Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I will not bash you. 5Dm2 is a good camera. Remember to PM me when you do decide to go that route. I would love to buy some 2nd hand stuff from you. :D

I am contemplating about upgrading to 5DMk2 or D700. Spec wise, 5D seems superior than D700. However I cannot say that I like the way a Canon handles. I tried handling a Canon and I must say that it is not as ergonomic as a Nikon.

Beside, I love the CLS for Nikon, although Canon has similar system, this means that I gotta let go of my 2 SB-600 for the 430EX2 if I switch camp.

Let's hope that D700 price drop drastically when the D700x comes out at the end of the year.

Don't keep me waiting, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

No. I will not bash you. 5Dm2 is a good camera. Remember to PM me when you do decide to go that route. I would love to buy some 2nd hand stuff from you. :D

By the way, what 2nd hand item are you eyeing from me? ;)

Love your quote...... yeah! We are the ones taking the photo, not D5000, D90, 5D or any other make/model!

Well these apply to serious photographers like you, but remember, d5k is targeted at more casual photographers like me hence the simpler controls. I just don't see myself buying more then 3 lens in a lifetime, and I am sure I can find 3 compatible lens (nikkor or 3rd party) that would suit 90% my shooting needs. I am sure a lot of casual shooters would do that too.

Please refer to the title of your thread "Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90". So now it is all about your own preference but your title insinuate otherwise. See, I was just making a point that different people have different needs so different levels of cameras appeal to different people. Thanks for stating my point.

To each his/her own.

And, in response to your "casual shooter" point. I am not a pro. I am a casual shooter too. Just that I am a casual shooter that likes to try different kinds of shots. Thing is, why do most people get DSLR? This is because they believe getting a DSLR is on the path to making better pictures. So these people will never learn? Never get better? Never ever want to have more controls? I've have seen people buy a D40x, use it for 2 weeks, improve so much that they sold camera and bought a D200 after. They told me that if they have known better, they would have gone D80 or D200 from the get-go. They did not have the foresight or correct information to make the correct choice. Your post don't really help because the information is biased and inaccurate. So when you posted this thread, what were your objectives? What were you trying to achieve? care to share?

I based this on the COMEX price. d90 sells for 1998, d5k sells for 1299. That's 699$ difference. 35mm is 360$ in cathay. That leaves you 339$. sb400 maybe 200$? 139$ can buy you a cheap 2nd hand zoom lens (nikkor or 3rd party) :bsmilie:

Well you use COMEX price for kits, and "price guide" prices for others. Hmmm.. :think:. You should work in the marketing field. I love how you "make use" of information to your advantage. Good creative thinking there. I understand your desire to make a point. But understand what you mentioned could have easily misled a reader in his purchase decision making process.

They are over rated for a meticulous individual like you. But videos primary purpose for me is to preserve those fond memories. With HD recording, the videos are crisp. For the horizontal scanning, just move the video slowly. I'm actually just pointing out that d5k can also do what d90 can do.

Actually, a mid priced PnS nowadays can do better in video than a D90 or D5000. They have HD too, with higher resolution and higher fps! So you still think D5k/D90's video are underrated? BTW I am not a meticulous person. I record useless videos just like you do. I do not produce short movies with artistic content. The Jello effect really bug me. And, pan slowly??? People who pan slowly are the meticulous movie producers and artistic film makers. Casual shooters (like you mentioned) are the worst lot in video filming, crazy fast pans, running while shooting kids or animals... etc etc... So, let me ask you a question: How can the video be so underrated (as you mentioned), when it is so restrictive that we are forced to make adjustments (pan slowly) to use it?

Bugs me that also, why wouldn't you want it flip down when using a tripod

Because the hinge is below the screen and if your camera is mounted on a quick release plate, the hinge will get blocked by the QR plate or the QR lever, or any other part of the tripod head. And if the quick release plate is so small that the hinge works properly, how are you going to adjust your tripod knobs and levels with the screen down and blocking them. I encourage you to mount your D5000 on a tripod and try using the flipout screen. I would love your first hand feedback on this.

If you have a tripod, you have the luxury of time to properly compose your pic. Better compose it in viewfinder instead. I just dont see any scenario where you need to flip down the screen when in a tripod.

Because not everyone put the camera on a tripod at eye level of a person standing up. Camera on tripod low on the ground, eg macro, landscape shots to get a angle vantage. Camera on tripod with horizontal arm out to get a better angle not possible physically, eg. over a cliff. Camera facing down on subject on a table, eg product shot, macro. Tripod elevated above eye or head level, eg, to shoot over other people's heads.

Do I need to go on? You have to understand that a tripod is used to add stability. Getting the perspective you want is a separate issue from a tripod. A flipout screen is made to help a shooter compose better without lying on the ground, bending down all the time.. etc.. Using a tripod have nothing to do with using a flipscreen whatsoever.

So why even release a flip out screen so flawed in execution. And, why are you raving so much about it when it is executed so badly to the point that it is handicapped. This is no rocket science as this has been done so nicely on Olympus and Panasonic or a long time now?

No I dont keep it on all the time, I used it all the time to change setting because it does not have top lcd.

Bingo!!

Ok you're right, maybe I went strongly on that. Apologies for that, to each his own as they say.

My point from the start.

Yeah thanks for replying, this is actually good so newbies can see both sides and be presented with these arguments. Keep 'em coming..

You are welcome. I felt compelled to respond because I do not want newbies or others to get inaccurate, untrue and biased information from your post. Everyone should know the facts so they can make good informed decisions on their purchase. It is the attitude, tone, and type of "information" apparent in your opening post in this thread that give rise to the "bashing" you so dislike in the first place.

Maybe someone should start a thread with the title: " Top ten reasons why you'll choose the Olympus over the D5000"

Last edited:
By the way, what 2nd hand item are you eyeing from me? ;)

Love your quote...... yeah! We are the ones taking the photo, not D5000, D90, 5D or any other make/model!

The flash. :p I am building up my flash collection to start doing strobist stuff.

And of course the Tokina 116.

Last edited:
The flash. :p I am building up my flash collection to start doing strobist stuff.

And of course the Tokina 116.

I can see that you are indeed someone who knows his stuff....... Only eyeing on the best thing I have on hand... Lucky I have yet to purchase a SB-900.... haha..

Will let you know if I am letting go any of the items I have on hand.

Anyway, enough of the bashing and debate. This thread is getting stale. Everyone here get his/her ideal body for whatsoever. If the TS likes his D5000 so much, let him live in his own world. Meanwhile, I shall enjoy my D90 in the coming SIN 09 this weekends. Free access for me throughout the expo as the assigned photographer for a company.

See you there if you guys are going~ Cheers~

Please refer to the title of your thread "Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90". So now it is all about your own preference but your title insinuate otherwise. See, I was just making a point that different people have different needs so different levels of cameras appeal to different people. Thanks for stating my point.

To each his/her own.

And, in response to your "casual shooter" point. I am not a pro. I am a casual shooter too. Just that I am a casual shooter that likes to try different kinds of shots. Thing is, why do most people get DSLR? This is because they believe getting a DSLR is on the path to making better pictures. So these people will never learn? Never get better? Never ever want to have more controls? I've have seen people buy a D40x, use it for 2 weeks, improve so much that they sold camera and bought a D200 after. They told me that if they have known better, they would have gone D80 or D200 from the get-go. They did not have the foresight or correct information to make the correct choice. Your post don't really help because the information is biased and inaccurate. So when you posted this thread, what were your objectives? What were you trying to achieve? care to share?

err..maybe I should change my title to "Top 10 reasons.....from a noobs perspective" :bsmilie: my initial objective was to rant out, and let the noobs decide if they can relate to it

Well you use COMEX price for kits, and "price guide" prices for others. Hmmm.. :think:. You should work in the marketing field. I love how you "make use" of information to your advantage. Good creative thinking there. I understand your desire to make a point. But understand what you mentioned could have easily misled a reader in his purchase decision making process.

ok so i'll edit number 5 and put "2nd hand zoom lens"

Actually, a mid priced PnS nowadays can do better in video than a D90 or D5000. They have HD too! So you still think D5k/D90's video are underrated?

yes, take note that d5k and d90 have interchangeable lens, shallow DOF etc...

Because not everyone put the camera on a tripod at eye level of a person standing up.

Camera on tripod low on the ground, eg macro, landscape shots to get a angle vantage. Camera on tripod with horizontal arm out to get a better angle not possible physically, eg. over a cliff. Camera facing down on subject on a table, eg product shot, macro. Tripod elevated above eye or head level, eg, to shoot over other people's heads.

Do I need to go on? You have to understand that a tripod is used to add stability. Getting the perspective you want is a separate issue from a tripod. A flipout screen is made to help a shooter compose better without lying on the ground, bending down all the time.. etc.. Using a tripod have nothing to do with using a flipscreen whatsoever.

So why even release a flip out screen so flawed in execution. And, why are you raving so much about it when it is executed so badly to the point that it is handicapped. This is no rocket science as this has been done so nicely on Olympus and Panasonic or a long time now?

ok so i'll add "not good if you use in the tripod" in number 6.

What's to bingo?hehehe i just answered your question ''Do you keep your main LCD on all the time when you shoot?"..i said i do not keep it on all time, i use it to change setting coz it doesnt have top lcd then all of a sudden you bingo...oh nvm.oh btw d60 and d90 menu does not flip 90 degrees, that's what i was talking about on number 8

You are welcome. I felt compelled to respond because I do not want newbies or others to get inaccurate, untrue and biased information from your post. Everyone should know the facts so they can make good informed decisions on their purchase. It is the attitude, tone, and type of "information" apparent in your opening post in this thread that give rise to the "bashing" you so dislike in the first place.

all right i came too strong and aggressive, my initial intention was to bash back d90 because i was a sour grape that found the d90 too expensive hahaha but i didn't expect to get this response so i think i'll just edit my top ten and have it in milder tone and correct the inaccuracies to put out what i think are valid points to consider when you are undecided between d5000 and d90..cheers..

I can see that you are indeed someone who knows his stuff....... Only eyeing on the best thing I have on hand... Lucky I have yet to purchase a SB-900.... haha..

Will let you know if I am letting go any of the items I have on hand.

Anyway, enough of the bashing and debate. This thread is getting stale. Everyone here get his/her ideal body for whatsoever. If the TS likes his D5000 so much, let him live in his own world. Meanwhile, I shall enjoy my D90 in the coming SIN 09 this weekends. Free access for me throughout the expo as the assigned photographer for a company.

See you there if you guys are going~ Cheers~

Actually, I am going to pass on the SB900. I am thinking of going for the Nissin Di866 instead.

Have fun at SIN. I will not be there. I am not into shooting at women not related to me. LOL. I like landscape more. But that is just me.

Ya. No more debates. I think I already said enough for readers to have a good understanding of where the TS is coming from.

all right i came too strong and aggressive, my initial intention was to bash back d90 because i was a sour grape that found the d90 too expensive hahaha but i didn't expect to get this response so i think i'll just edit my top ten and have it in milder tone and correct the inaccuracies to put out what i think are valid points to consider when you are undecided between d5000 and d90..cheers..

Ahhh... now the true purpose of this thread shows itself. Now we all know where this is headed. So I am going to stop wasting my time replying to a bashing thread.

Congrats. You just became what you were complaining of (bashers). Don't that make you all proud?

All the valid points for any one undecided between D5000 and D90 are better presented in the following link. This thread is just emotions talking and bash talk.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

Actually, I am going to pass on the SB900. I am thinking of going for the Nissin Di866 instead.

Have fun at SIN. I will not be there. I am not into shooting at women not related to me. LOL. I like landscape more. But that is just me.

Ya. No more debates. I think I already said enough for readers to have a good understanding of where the TS is coming from.

Saw the Nissin Di866, pretty impressive and low priced with all the CLS features. Do let me know if you get one. I was thinking of that flash for the commander. However, the thought of 3rd party flash with possible firmware issue with newer bodies really worries me.

If all goes well, Di866 for me as the commander flash!

Once again, you have great taste for stuff...... :thumbsup:

Ahhh... now the true purpose of this thread shows itself. Now we all know where this is headed. So I am going to stop wasting my time replying to a bashing thread.

Congrats. You just became what you were complaining of (bashers). Don't that make you all proud?

All the valid points for any one undecided between D5000 and D90 are better presented in the following link. This thread is just emotions talking and bash talk.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

check back my new top ten :D

Your new list is not really a Top 10 reasons why you'll choose a D5000 over a D90 anymore. I don't know what the point is anymore, after reading it. You're not arguing a point.

Anyway, your information is still not correct. Point #5
It's cheaper. The price difference can already buy you a 35mm,a 2nd hand zoom lens, sb-400.

Daredevil123 has already pointed out the flaw in your comparison. The d5000 kit comes with the 18-55VR lens. The d90 kit comes with the 18-105VR lens. If you want to compare prices of bodies, don't bring the lenses into the equation. The difference in body price is only about $300. Can't even buy the 35/1.8DX with that money. How to get 35DX + 2nd hand zoom + SB400?

Saw the Nissin Di866, pretty impressive and low priced with all the CLS features. Do let me know if you get one. I was thinking of that flash for the commander. However, the thought of 3rd party flash with possible firmware issue with newer bodies really worries me.

If all goes well, Di866 for me as the commander flash!

Once again, you have great taste for stuff...... :thumbsup:

Well, I usually take a long to consider before buying. Took me 7-8 months of consideration before I took the plunge to replace my D40x with the D90.

I have been thinking about a UWA for months, and I starting thinking of getting an additional flash to complement my SB600. I still haven't bought either. LOL.

So far, everyone I talked to has given good feedback on the Di866. It is actually slightly more powerful than the SB900, and it has another smaller flash bulb to complement a upward tilted bounced flash. Good for avoiding raccoon eyes in subject when bouncing.

Anyway, I will let you know if I get it.

Your new list is not really a Top 10 reasons why you'll choose a D5000 over a D90 anymore. I don't know what the point is anymore, after reading it. You're not arguing a point.

It's cheaper. The price difference can already buy you a 35mm,a 2nd hand zoom lens, sb-400.

Daredevil123 has already pointed out the flaw in your comparison. The d5000 kit comes with the 18-55VR lens. The d90 kit comes with the 18-105VR lens. If you want to compare prices of bodies, don't bring the lenses into the equation. The difference in body price is only about $300. Can't even buy the 35/1.8DX with that money. How to get 35DX + 2nd hand zoom + SB400?

Why bother bro? :dunno:

nyawn~~~

Honestly... which self-respecting serious photographer would buy a DSLR for it's video-recording features? Sure for those occasional videos, but you're always much better off getting a handycam which costs as much as one of your lenses.

Ultimately, the best way to help a friend decide is to let him loan both models for a test run and explaining to him the difference while he is exploring. Different people have different preferences.... I was deciding between nikon and canon for my first dslr, but arguably the most compelling reason I chose canon (among other reasons) was that my main P&S was an ixus that lived with me for 8 years. Hence I have a preconception of brand reliability and quality.

If you really want to ensure your friend buys a "better camera", then by all means bombard him with specs and stuff... but if you want him to enjoy the process of doing so, let him ride the boards and respect his decision while "nudging" him towards your recommendation. Ultimately, if he buys and it's his choice, he'll be happier anyway.

Cheers =)

(argument based on body only, lenses and stuff are another topic altogether)

http://www.bootstrike.com/itfairsg/...-D3000-D5000-D90-D300-flyer-brochure-leaflet/

they don't usually allow d5k body only..they charge much higher if you want body only, so better buy the bundle..
d5k setup($1299+$360+$200+$129): 18-55kit, 35mm, sb400, 55-200 2nd hand
d90 setup($1988): 18-105kit

Last edited:
http://www.bootstrike.com/itfairsg/...-D3000-D5000-D90-D300-flyer-brochure-leaflet/

they don't usually allow d5k body only..they charge much higher if you want body only, so better buy the bundle..
d5k setup($1299+$360+$200+$129): 18-55kit, 35mm, sb400, 55-200 2nd hand
d90 setup($1988): 18-105kit

i give up... you still don't see my point... sigh...
You should be a lawyer or marketing person, the way you can present "facts" in such a way as to support your point of view.

Last edited:
i give up... you still don't see my point... sigh...
You should be a lawyer or marketing person, the way you can present "facts" in such a way as to support your point of view.

:bsmilie: He is probably one of those ignorant people who choose to buy a camera during COMEX. Can't blame him. He probably do not even know the D90 can also be bought with the 18-55 VR lens and that D5000 can also be bought body only.

From the Nikon price guide:
Nikon D5000 Body Only
$1,050 (OP, May09 - surefire)

Well, I usually take a long to consider before buying. Took me 7-8 months of consideration before I took the plunge to replace my D40x with the D90.

I have been thinking about a UWA for months, and I starting thinking of getting an additional flash to complement my SB600. I still haven't bought either. LOL.

So far, everyone I talked to has given good feedback on the Di866. It is actually slightly more powerful than the SB900, and it has another smaller flash bulb to complement a upward tilted bounced flash. Good for avoiding raccoon eyes in subject when bouncing.

Anyway, I will let you know if I get it.

Good for you. I am more of the impulsive type. Changed to D90 3 months after I got my D40. Now you got me tempted again.... Maybe I should drop by and check out the Di866.

:bsmilie: He is probably one of those ignorant people who choose to buy a camera during COMEX. Can't blame him. He probably do not even know the D90 can also be bought with the 18-55 VR lens and that D5000 can also be bought body only.

From the Nikon price guide:
Nikon D5000 Body Only
$1,050 (OP, May09 - surefire)

Come on.... Who cares if D5000 or D90 is better? You still can't take any good photo if you are a lousy shot...... Or you forgot to take off the lens cap..... ROFL :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Good for you. I am more of the impulsive type. Changed to D90 3 months after I got my D40. Now you got me tempted again.... Maybe I should drop by and check out the Di866.

If you are interested, should drop by at OP to check it out. It looks really cool with the color LCD with orientation sensor. They sell it at $400, cheaper than the online sites and MO. Plus OP lets you try out everything with no pressure to buy. If you can wait, the Di622 will also be upgraded to be compatible with Nikon CLS wireless TTL. It will be able to set as a slave like a SB600. The new firmware is announced to be released in Oct-Nov timeframe. Plus the 622 is quite cheap, much cheaper than a SB600.

Am I infecting you yet? LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.