Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
John 316 is selling this lens at $900??
anyone tested their full frame cameras with this lens?

Alamak, read the posts carefully. The S$900 price tag was derived from MS Color's quote. I didn't say anything about John 3:16's pricing because I didn't ask about it. ;)

Saw a Nikon mount at John 3:16 today too. Didn't check on pricing, but honestly for a f/2.8 UWA with optical performance of that calibre, I think a S$900 pricetag is pretty reasonable.

This is in stock at MS Color; 2 pieces (Nikon mount). Selling for $895 including GST.

anyone tested their full frame cameras with this lens?

it's a DX lens. you know that right? think KRW mentioned that you can use 15-16mm for FX.
not sure about other brands though.

it's a DX lens. you know that right? think KRW mentioned that you can use 15-16mm for FX.
not sure about other brands though.

If you mount it on a D3, the D3 will auto-crop. In any case, it doesn't make sense to buy a DX lens that goes from 11-16mm only to use it at 16mm, unless at 16mm f/2.8, it is tack sharp with little optical fault.

I just got this lens a couple of days ago.

I shoot a lot in low light so the 2.8 performance is important to me.

The sharpness at 2.8 across the range is true to what the reviews have said (i used on both D80 and D300)

Its a very good buy.

where and how much did you buy it for???

ani who has the tokina 12-24 to compare
is this worth the buy over the tokina 12-24 which is selling at ard 200 bucks cheaper?

ani who has the tokina 12-24 to compare
is this worth the buy over the tokina 12-24 which is selling at ard 200 bucks cheaper?

Simple.

Depends on your needs. If you need f/2.8, go for the fast glass. If you just need a mainly outdoor-purpose UWA lens, go for the 12-24 and save some dough.

to those who happen to own both lens or have used both b4, is there a significance difference in the IQ shot b/w tis 2 lens, pertaining to sharpness

I just got this lens a couple of days ago.

I shoot a lot in low light so the 2.8 performance is important to me.

The sharpness at 2.8 across the range is true to what the reviews have said (i used on both D80 and D300)

Its a very good buy.

hey, dun mind u can share the link of the pictures shot using this lens, thanks in advance.

btw , u used ani filters?
also is the filter thread 77 mm or 84mm
because on the tokina webpage http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx116prodx-b.html it states it is 84mm

but on ken rockwell webpage http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm it states 77mm

Filter Size is a 77mm.
Just got mine a couple of days back. Great optics i must say. Only problem as mentioned as well by KenRockwell is that there is a greenish flare when taken with bright sunlight

Filter Size is a 77mm.
Just got mine a couple of days back. Great optics i must say. Only problem as mentioned as well by KenRockwell is that there is a greenish flare when taken with bright sunlight

can't wait to see the shots.. :thumbsup:

Walking around in T3, so happen to just shoot. ha
Settings: Focal 14mm, F5.6 ISO 320.

Ard town, (A bit dark as i did it on purpose hence become like that)
Settings: Focal 11mm, F11 ISO 100

Just some shots. Still learning so yah. I know the shots dont do justice.:)
Second image u can see a green speck flare.

Erm resized it as the image file size was too large. No pre processing, just only resized. Photos directly from cam.

Walking around in T3, so happen to just shoot. ha
Settings: Focal 14mm, F5.6 ISO 320.

Ard town, (A bit dark as i did it on purpose hence become like that)
Settings: Focal 11mm, F11 ISO 100

Just some shots. Still learning so yah. I know the shots dont do justice.:)
Second image u can see a green speck flare.

Erm resized it as the image file size was too large. No pre processing, just only resized. Photos directly from cam.

cool bro... :thumbsup: thanks for sharing your shots, appriciated for the effort.

If there no post processing, then I should say that the corner sharpness looks good. distortion not much, infact... very minimum liao. The green flare is there because you are shooting directly into the sun, for wide lens, it is very difficult to remove that. Sometimes, I find these flare actually very nice to have ;)

well, the only concern here is the range, this is only able to operate from 11-16mm, quite limited actually ( more like a prime to me ).

cool bro... :thumbsup: thanks for sharing your shots, appriciated for the effort.

If there no post processing, then I should say that the corner sharpness looks good. distortion not much, infact... very minimum liao. The green flare is there because you are shooting directly into the sun, for wide lens, it is very difficult to remove that. Sometimes, I find these flare actually very nice to have ;)

well, the only concern here is the range, this is only able to operate from 11-16mm, quite limited actually ( more like a prime to me ).

Looks to be a bit of compression on these. I think they probably were sharper out of the cam. Nevertheless, very impressive performance.

Waiting for one to be readily available in John 3:16 so I can drop by and test it on the 1D. If I do, I'll update you, kang.

Looks to be a bit of compression on these. I think they probably were sharper out of the cam. Nevertheless, very impressive performance.

Waiting for one to be readily available in John 3:16 so I can drop by and test it on the 1D. If I do, I'll update you, kang.

;) thanks in advance.

The green flare is there because you are shooting directly into the sun, for wide lens, it is very difficult to remove that. Sometimes, I find these flare actually very nice to have ;)

Looks like the Canon 10-22 lens is still the most flare resistant ultra-wide lens out there. :)

As regards to the focal length, it's not an issue for me. My 17-55 lens is on my camera 95% of the time, so when I need something wider, I just put on the ultra-wide. I never really care about focal length restriction due to the ultra-wide lens.

Hi, I kinda did some compression to suit the size to upload. so yup. haaa. Will try to post some landscape shots for comparison.
Cheers!

Ya, I do agree that the focal range is more like a prime considering its abt a 50% increase. But I'm kinda fine with it as I love to shoot Ultra wide.
I guess the D300 does a pretty good job. haa :)
THanks for the comments too.
:)

Any thoughts about this lens vs the canon 10-22mm? The canon has a wider range, but it's f/3.5-4.5, and around $150 more expensive. I don't have any lens wider than 28mm so the wider range of the canon is tempting but so is the f2.8 of the tokina!

Status
Not open for further replies.