To top up and get into semi-pro, or just leave it at entry level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bsmilie: You've certainly planned everything out for me!

Guess this is what I'll be getting:

500D Kit I - $1,180 (J316, inclusive of 8GB card and a bag.)
50mm f/1.8 II - $120
Dry cabinet - Can I have a price for this..?
Lens blower kit $6

Just curious, for the UV filter, will both of them be the same for both kit lens and prime lens? Or are they of different diameter?

Also, can the dry cabinet be bought at the shop itself? Or must I go somewhere else?

Don't save on a $12 filter. Even if its the same size, you should have a filter on each lens you own anyway 24/7 to protect the front element. If you were changing filters and your hands slipped you will end up with a nasty scratch on your lens.

While bodies tend to depreciated a lot faster than lenses i.e every month or so, isn't the lenses the one we're changing more often compared to the body? ><

I was thinking I should stick with my kit lens (possibly the 50mm prime) for the time being, and then decide on what lens I want to get after a year or so. :dunno:

Do not under estimate the importance of dry cabinet. The T&H here is very high which make it very suitable for fugus to grow including the body (especially the rubberised parts). Yes, regular usage can help bec of frequent contacts. However, this is not the case for the internal parts, especially the lenses.

Dry box with silica gel will help, but you may be surprised how fast the gel gets 'wet' even one seldom open the box to access to the camera. One must be very disciplined to 'fry dry' the silica gel regularly. If not is it no diff even with dry box.

Hence, before you talk about expanding yr lens collection, you should provide good protection of yr existing equipment asap with any extra money.

If you are worry about body depreciation, then 2nd hand body is your answer. I sold my 40D to a guy almost a year ago with 2 years extended warranty and I noticed he sold the body again within 6 months. The difference is only -S$100.

If you are not sure how to check 2nd camera body, try to find one that still has local Canon warranty.

Hi there to all CS-ers!

I'll just make a slight introduction for myself first. I'm 15-to-be next year, and have been having an interest in photography for sometime, thus finally deciding to get a DSLR this school holiday. I managed to liaise with my mother that for the DSLR, $1000 will be coming from me, and a couple of hundred dollars from her, which ended up being $400. So after working for almost a month, I've managed to accumulate $1000, along with my savings from the rest of the year, which is IMO, a rather great milestone for a 14-year old, since my allowance is nothing beyond average. ;p

So currently, my budget is $1400, and a 500D Kit I costs $1180, meaning that I'll have around $220 unspent. I'm then starting to consider 50D, which price I'm awaiting from a price quote for J316. Assuming that it's around $1600, would it then be wise to top up that $200 to get a semi-pro body? My understanding here is that bodies are generally not replaced until their limitations are maxed, meaning that most bodies last for a few years.

Will definitely need advice from you all! :)
i think it would be better that you get a 2nd hand Canon 400D/450D than a new body... even 20D/30D..

then spend the rest on lens like a Tamron 17-50f2.8.

Don't save on a $12 filter. Even if its the same size, you should have a filter on each lens you own anyway 24/7 to protect the front element. If you were changing filters and your hands slipped you will end up with a nasty scratch on your lens.
Yup, just sent a whole list of items for a quote not too long ago! Thanks for your help. :D

Do not under estimate the importance of dry cabinet. The T&H here is very high which make it very suitable for fugus to grow including the body (especially the rubberised parts). Yes, regular usage can help bec of frequent contacts. However, this is not the case for the internal parts, especially the lenses.

Dry box with silica gel will help, but you may be surprised how fast the gel gets 'wet' even one seldom open the box to access to the camera. One must be very disciplined to 'fry dry' the silica gel regularly. If not is it no diff even with dry box.

Hence, before you talk about expanding yr lens collection, you should provide good protection of yr existing equipment asap with any extra money.
Hi there, I'm getting a dry cabinet along with my kit after a very kind forumnite helped me list out the things I should get with a budget like mine.

If you are worry about body depreciation, then 2nd hand body is your answer. I sold my 40D to a guy almost a year ago with 2 years extended warranty and I noticed he sold the body again within 6 months. The difference is only -S$100.

If you are not sure how to check 2nd camera body, try to find one that still has local Canon warranty.

i think it would be better that you get a 2nd hand Canon 400D/450D than a new body... even 20D/30D..

then spend the rest on lens like a Tamron 17-50f2.8.
I'm not really worried about body depreciation, but more of the fact that if I could get a better body just by topping up around 200, why not? Since my initial calculations did not include the 50mm prime lens or the dry cabinet as I felt I could do without it, I felt that the $400 wasn't exactly well spent. However, the forummer whom helped me list out what I could/should get helped me made up my mind fast. :)

I agree with everyone has been saying about buying a camera body second-hand. I did just that; and that's probably been where I've saved on most in my photog-related spending. You might be able to get a fairly decent second-hand set for 50-75% of what it costs first-hand; just take a look at the personal classifieds here. And as others have pointed out, bodies depreciate faster than lenses; you might very well decide to replace the body after 1-2 years.

Having said that, buying second-hand, as you're aware, comes with its risks. Here's some things to consider if you do decide to go the second-hand route:

1. Do your research.

Go to shops, ask whatever models you're interested in, and play around with them. Ask a friend with that camera model to let you put it through its paces.

Consider renting the camera, even; it shouldn't cost more than 50-70 for 2-3 days.

Familiarize yourself with the camera's idiosyncrasies -- is there a certain part, for example, that is particularly susceptible to wear and tear over time?

2. Ask your more knowledgeable friend to check out the camera with you before buying.

3. Ask for at least a week's worth of personal warranty.

Good luck!

Get the 500D, use the balance for other things or save it for a rainy day.
500D is a competent camera. In terms of image capture, difference between 500D & 50D probably not that great. Difference is in the handling.
If you know what you are doing, a 500D can probably get a picture as good as a 50D

That being said, you're only 14+ yrs old. The 50D might be a bit heavy and discourage you from bringing it out.

Please use some money to get a dry box/cabinet for your camera. Once fungus sets in, it's good bye $1k

Have fun. Welcome to the world of photography

Get the 500D, use the balance for other things or save it for a rainy day.
500D is a competent camera. In terms of image capture, difference between 500D & 50D probably not that great. Difference is in the handling.
If you know what you are doing, a 500D can probably get a picture as good as a 50D

That being said, you're only 14+ yrs old. The 50D might be a bit heavy and discourage you from bringing it out.

Please use some money to get a dry box/cabinet for your camera. Once fungus sets in, it's good bye $1k

Have fun. Welcome to the world of photography
Yup! I've pretty much everything worked out already!

Wait, can't fungus be.. cleaned?

EDIT: SLR Revo and J316 both currently have 500D out of stock until next year.

This is disaster. :(

Last edited:
New 450d ! (its a great camera)
With 18-55mm kit lens!
Add dry cabinet!
Add cleaning set !
Get library membership card! -> borrow books to read about exposure / composition / post-processing !!
Should be about $1k +/- $100

There is no need to spend all the $$ in the budget just because it is there.
The remaining $300-$400 can be saved for other purchases at some other time ;)

Just my humble 2cents worth :)

btw pixel-peeper has great pictures of the 450d + 18-55mm combo !!

Yup! I've pretty much everything worked out already!

Wait, can't fungus be.. cleaned?

EDIT: SLR Revo and J316 both currently have 500D out of stock until next year.

This is disaster. :(

Fungus can be cleaned, but it has the habit of re-visiting :sweat:

For those NEW to photography, even if you shoot every weekend its highly unlikely to max out the capabilities of your dslr within 2 yrs so dun :nono:get the 50d, fast lens or whatever external flash like some has suggest. Most likely they been hit by the BBB virus :bsmilie: Just buy 450d or 500d kit with cleaner kit, uv filter, tripod if its included in the package and your good to go.

The true joy of photograhy comes from the images you take not the gears you buy abeit no doubt you will need to upgrade further down the road in order to progress. For the dry cabi, its good to have if within budget else get dry box with silica gel will suffice for the time being like others suggest. Good wishes in your photography and may insights be with you from time to time.

My view on this is to get a decent entry level camera with its lens. Whatever lens it may be. Also get a cheap decent flash to go along with it. Any other thing comes secondary. Used equipment is a good thing to start because you will be changing equipment once you have a grasp of the basic fundamentals (because you are on a budget).

You do not need to spend all your money on your equipment. Get only the necessary and spend the rest of the money travelling around shooting landscapes or join model shoots. Do not be a gear head. There is no point in having good equipment when your images cannot even be on par with what you have.

I am only holding onto my Nikon D90 and my kit lens.

By the way, I don't think you are as young as you claimed to be, judging on the way you are writing and replying on your threads. :)

For those NEW to photography, even if you shoot every weekend its highly unlikely to max out the capabilities of your dslr within 2 yrs so dun :nono:get the 50d, fast lens or whatever external flash like some has suggest. Most likely they been hit by the BBB virus. Just buy 450d or 500d kit with cleaner kit, uv filter, tripod if its included in the package and your good to go.

The true joy of photograhy comes from the images you take not the gears you buy abeit no doubt you will need to upgrade further down the road in order to progress. For the dry cabi, its good to have if within budget else get dry box with silica gel will suffice for the time being like others suggest. Good wishes in your photography and may insights be with you from time to time.
Thanks for the tip! Due to budget constraints, I'm sticking with a 500D for now, along with the 18-55mm kit lens, although a 18-200mm IS does really sound awesome.

True joy of photography for everyone is more or less the same, and for me, it's just taking nice looking pictures and receiving favourable comments! ;) I'm just hoping that my pictures will eventually turn out decent, and will be able to receive praises in the future. Thanks for your wishes!

My view on this is to get a decent entry level camera with its lens. Whatever lens it may be. Also get a cheap decent flash to go along with it. Any other thing comes secondary. Used equipment is a good thing to start because you will be changing equipment once you have a grasp of the basic fundamentals (because you are on a budget).

You do not need to spend all your money on your equipment. Get only the necessary and spend the rest of the money travelling around shooting landscapes or join model shoots. Do not be a gear head. There is no point in having good equipment when your images cannot even be on par with what you have.

I am only holding onto my Nikon D90 and my kit lens.

By the way, I don't think you are as young as you claimed to be, judging on the way you are writing and replying on your threads.
'Only' is pretty much an understatement here, don't you think so? :) A D90 is a semi-pro compared to an entry level 500D! The only different is that the kit lens has twice the focal length of a Canon's one, which makes things rather regrettable. As for the flash, maybe it'll take some time for me to go into indoor/low-light photography, so I'll just keep those flashes at bay.

Regarding the age, I'll just take that as a compliment! :bsmilie:

Bro, go for 50d..i can sell you $1290 with 3 months warrenty from CSC.
sms me at 91183331 for bob.

Sorry, but I've already exceeded but budget as it is, and have no plans of exceeding it further, seeing how there is almost no difference between the 500D and the 50D. A penny not spent is a penny saved to be spent in the future! :)

Last edited:
Your choice clear; get the entry level dSLR and safe the leftover for future. You are 15 years old and have lots to time to develop your skill. And by the time you turn 22, your dSLR would probably be worn out and obseleted. If it doesn't, it means under used.

I think you can take heart in the fact that 18-55 IS resells very easily with almost no loss in value and you can pick up a lens that fits your growing needs in the future :D Congratulations on arriving on a decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.