To start: Entry Level or Mid Level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacatcher89

Oct 29, 2007
hey can any professionals here help me out with my question?
should i buy a 2nd hand DSLR or a first hand for an amateur start?
any recommended nikon cameras?
what are their differences and where can i get them?

THANKS PEOPLE!:D

Hi dacatcher89,

For me i would say probably get a camera body that you can afford, work out ur budget. Theres so much items to get as soon as you get ur first body and lens. Eg. MORE Lens, Remote Flash, Dry Cabinet, Tripod, Camera Bags, Camera Strap, Storage cards, Filters, remotes and many other things... Unless money is not a problem for you. =/ . you can check out the rough pricing for camera body at Clubsnap's Nikon Price Guide.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458315 ( it also has a Dealer list at the lower part of the thread )

you can go to this website - http://www.dpreview.com/ , it has a buying guide, camera body comparision section and also has lens reviews. Its good to read up and know more about your camera and lens, before buying one. Also after deciding on the few ideal models, Visit the NIKON Showroom at Fuji Xerox Towers, to get a feel of the camera body before you head down and get your camera. That way you wont reget!

For me, i feel getting a first hand camera for starters, might be a better idea. =D

Its jus my view, hope this helps. For me, i started with Nikon D300 + 50mm F1.8 though, decided to go with a mid range so can learn as i progress deeper into photography.

Last edited:

If you're new to DSLRs and photography in general, my advice is to buy new. It may cost a little more but you can be sure about getting a decent product. Look for the shops and dealers mentioned in the price guide.

Later on when you know more about cameras and lenses and how to check them for defects and test them, then you can venture into buying used gear. Not all gear sellers are out to con you but there's always a risk when buying secondhand - more so when you're a newbie and don't know what to look out for.

The only time when a beginner should buy secondhand is IF you know the seller very well and trust him/her completely. That way you can be sure that you won't be conned!

Cheers!

if new to photography, buying entry level will let you explore...
the mode dials will help when you are learning...
disclaimer: i am not saying that TS should be using mode dials all the way
explore first then use A or S mode later...

if you want to start with aperture or shutter priority, might need some reading before you start...
depends on your knowledge level and your comfort level...

computer show coming, so can go there and ask around then choose later...

Ans: Most real professionals are busy making better photos.

Ans: Depends...

Ans: Depends......

Ans: Google. Shop. Online.

No problem.

i suggest you buy a bnew set! :thumbsup:

do ur research...first...learn and then go buy 2nd hand!
i bought 2nd handed on my first dslr..and have used it comfortably. look for those still have a couple months of warrenty left.

entry or mid level depends alot on u.

note also that entry level (d40, d60 d5000) does not have build in motor - meaning u can only use the newer lens or those with in build motor (shouldnt be a problem for most people).

and wats ur budget? lots of things to research on!

I recommend you rent first.

there are people who buy dslr but leave on Full Auto most of the time and do not make use of the other modes.

as for the differences, visit Nikon website.

Professionals will charge you, that's how they make money. But ehre are many hobby photographers here as well. Hope you don't mind them answering as well ;)

That's a different question that in your subject line. So what's your question now? Answering subject: entry level .. well it's named for a certain purpose and intention, right? Hope that explains. As for 2nd hand vs. new: that's personal liking. Some people are maniacs and need everything brand new. Other can live with equipment that has been used already. Keep in mind: cameras are electronic devices, they age in the same way as computers when it comes to market value. Lenses are more stable in value. Not talking about resale value here. Many older lenses can still be used on today's bodies. Whether you need to hunt the newest camera model every 2 years is your call. But exposure hasn't changed since nearly 200 years, light hasn't changed ... since eons...
Nikon Entry Level
Differences: see Nikon website and the varuous and numerous review websites like dpreview.com.
Where to get? See Consumer corner for list of reputable shops.

What is ur budget?

I am disqualified cos never make money with my photo
You should borrow! Go to IT show on first day or something like that and... buy CF card and SD card if you dont have and take sample shots from those camera, but never buy!

Why nikon?
er, model number? price? serial number?

LOL

man go and spend some time to read! First read wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography
learn some term so not to be cheated by shop salesman. Learn now!

your welcome

computer show coming, so can go there and ask around then choose later...

Based on my past experiences with PC/IT shows ... you won't get good service if you are trying/testing there ... the people there are more keen to close quick sales and most of them are part-timers who can only tell you the product specs. They may not even know how to hold a DSLR properly. ;p

Anyway, you are unlikely to get good deals in shows like this ... as a newbie, I suggest you go to the reputable shops like AP, CP, etc and get them to recommend to you. Most of them are willing to let you test and try before you buy. It's better than going to Nikon showroom as you can also test other brands like canon as well. :)

May I humbly air my views for what you are looking for. Have been guiding students of photography for more than two decades with excellent success for their decisions.

1. You should buy second hand DSLR instead of a new one to save a couple of hundred dollars. Use the savings to purchase the most essential accessories like a good solid tripod, filters, electronic flash and grip.

2. You can only go towards this direction if you have an honest reliable experienced photographer or teacher to guide you when you are making the purchase.

3. Now coming to selecting either an entry level or mid level DSLR, you will rest assure that going for the mid level will be the right path.

4. No one will tell you that your photography knowledge will improve in a couple of months and by that time the entry level DSLR will not give you what you want. A mid level camera will definitely be able to meet your shooting requirements for a year or two maybe longer depending on your shooting skills and frequency of using the camera.

5. You must have done your research to choose the Nikon system and it is not necessary to pinpoint the details here, however depending on your choice and availability in the used market the D80, D90, and D200 will be your best bet. If you desire 5 frames per second, then go for D200 or the slightly slower D90. The D80 is the slowest with 3 fps.

6. Get yourself familiar with the different models by going to dpreview.com and you will be surprised to find plenty of used equipment at the Personal Classfied section of this forum.

----------------------------------------------------------
Know that you are like no other
being ever created since the beginning
of time, you are incomparable.

:)

Last edited:
Hmm, entry level might be better, cause as your still learning and do not know much. But whatever it is, make sure you do your thorough research. My first camera WAS going to be the canon 450D but because of my lack of research and the cunning salesperson, he managed to trick me into getting the olympus e-410, which no offence, is'nt as good as my original plan.

Saw a uncle recently still using a 300D taking photos for the whole school and earn money.

Saw a uncle recently still using a 300D taking photos for the whole school and earn money.

i seen a studio taking pictures for toddlers with a D50, and still producing amazing pictures.

its not the gear. it juz makes the person holding it feel good. its the user at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.