Tips on automobile photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkTan89

Jun 30, 2007
Boon Keng
I'm a beginner in dSLR photography and I would like to know take those nice still car pics I've seen in this forum. Like what settings should I use to be able to acheive such cool-looking pictures. Thank You !

How do I access the EXIF information ? I'm still a noob here ;p

Which pics are you talking about? The static ones are simple in terms of settings. You basically just need enough Depth Of Field, so stopping the aperture down to f/8 helps quite a fair bit. Getting a location requires a good eye for lighting, natural or otherwise, distracting elements in the foreground and background. Also, having a good compositional sense helps.

For the motion shots, practice is needed. What you can do is sit by the roadside and try taking photos of cars that pass, just to practise following the movement of a car. The idea is to have a shutter speed of around 1/60s, then set your aperture to a value that will render a good exposure. When a car drives by (and you can start simple), make sure it's centered (for starters, having an off center car in the frame is slightly harder) then pan your camera as the car moves by, and try to follow the car's speed with your pan.

Yeap, here's my advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.