Timing for sunset and sunrise timelapse

RyanKhoo

Apr 6, 2008
Can I check with all timelapse experts here, if we were to do sunrise & sunset timelapse, what is the duration in real time required ? and what interval you usually set ?

Q1. That means how long do we need to be in the field to shoot:

(a) sunset
(b) sunrise ?

Q2 What is the interval you normally set the camera to for:

a) Sunset
b) sunrise ?

Thanks so much

Experiment laaaaah. That's part of the fun and joy of photography. Try different settings, timings, etc, whatever fits your own "creative vision". This also means not just copying what someone else did, or asking for a magic formula.

Experiment laaaaah. That's part of the fun and joy of photography. Try different settings, timings, etc, whatever fits your own "creative vision". This also means not just copying what someone else did, or asking for a magic formula.

Hello Rashakae, I asked because I wanted to estimate the time to calculate the memory space ... the last thing I want is to capture the timelapse halfway thru and the memory card is full ...

Btw, I like the word you used, "magic formula" ... Hahaha :bsmilie:

Cheers

The length of sunrise and sunset varies during different parts of the year, and is highly dependent on the weather conditions.

Some people like to do it in 30 sec intervals, some like to do it in 1 min intervals. Some like to stick around from 5am to 9pm, some know their favorite spot inside out and thus will only be there at the right time.

I do not understand your issue. If you have fears of memory space, then simply get a larger memory card. I don't see why a 64GB card is insufficient.

for me, time is usually around an hour or so for sunrise / sunset, but arrive at least 15 mins earlier to set up
e.g. sunset today is 18:55, so reach around 18:00, start shoot at 18:25 and end around 19:25 (by this time, you would find that the metering doesn't move much anymore)

my intervals are usually around 5-10 seconds ... so, if 10 second interval, result would be about 360 shots for the whole sequence = 12 seconds clip on 30fps playback

You can work backwards using what you intend to achieve...
Assume you wanna produce a 10 sec clip at 30fps = 10x30 = 300 shots
Say you intend to shoot a 30min interval from 6:45pm to 7:15pm = 30min x 60sec = 1800sec
Therefore, 1800 / 300 = 6sec interval.

Storage requirement for JPEG: 300shots x 5MB = 1.5GB
(Assuming 5MB is the average JPEG file size)

Something like this will give you a feel of the requirements... :)

Getting right exposure will be more challenging tho.

other the length of sequence, you also need to consider the focal length of your lenses you are using, for wide angle lens, you need longer interval time to see the subject is moving across the frame. for telephoto lens, will need shorter interval.

hope this help.

Regarding exposure change during sunrise sunset, there are several methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Personally i use Aperture priority, and deflicker it with LRT +/- Gbdeflicker.
Bramping has requires alot of trial and error to come up with a formula that is very much location/lattitude/season dependent and takes alot more knowhow that I can never get right ( esp when shooting overseas )..

Ryan