This picture here is proof that camera equipment helps a lot in your pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last edited:
Gee.. I thought the photo was at best interesting for the content but seriously I can not get over the horric distortion on the blue taxi. And I think a little over play of Lightroom or PS is added for the final look. But that's just me. heh

By the way, no offend, I don't know what new insight or argument has been "refreshed" to this classic over debated subject. One camera type that has proved beyond doubt a good photo is not always about the best gear but the creative technique, subject and composition as interpreted by the photographer... LOMOGRAPHY.

Just a thought.....

Last edited:
I agree also. My iPhone 6 is the best camera I used even better than the high end DSLR. :) The pictures below is proof also ;p

Your comment, Mr. Chng, regarding the iPhone 6's camera, carries weight. I've attended your birding session presentation at CS & seen your photos taken with high end equipment. I agree with you that the iPhone 6 gives good photos. In my recent trip, 1/4 of my photos & videos were taken with the iP6 (the slow motion feature is very good); another 1/4 by the G1X-II and only half by the DSLR compared with earlier trips when I used a DSLR mainly. How times have changed. And all photos turned out to my satisfaction regardless of which camera I use during the trip.

Capturing a moment in time to preserve the memory in the way one wants to frame it is key. A good camera helps. When I see Henri C. Bresson's photos, read about him in many varied articles and watch videos of his interviews, I appreciate his insights regarding those moments in time that he has photographed. A photograph is an art form which can be appreciated by many from different angles; but the photographer's angle is the original one with regard to intent & purpose.

Last edited:
Also, one tip for Rexer here, who seems to have multiple accounts posting his works in different parts of the forum. Even though you make your photos private, they still can be traced. The photo ID gives it away.

You have two accounts - one to post your 'usual stuff' under Rexer Ong, the other to post shots from your Sony QX100. Here's a tip in case you would want to troll again in future - use different Flickr accounts. They can be traced easily. :)

All these done by simple Googling. Reported.

Wah you managed to conclude that Subatoyo and Soulblade88 are the same person? I don't think so, judging by the drastic sytles of their posts.

Anyway back to the topic, photography books never ever start by mentioning you need a very good camera to be able to take good photographs.

There are so many fantastic photos taken using smartphones out there.

ya dun think they're same person. it seems soulblade88 just anyhow posted subatoyo's pic on this thread. nice try anyway :bsmilie:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8570/16685226946_dfd5bbc2f3_b.jpg

You look at the photo the main subject should be the golden tooth temple but you see cars, pedestrians, cyclists all in the picture and on top of that there are trees and other buildings all vying for the person's attention. There are really so many elements in the picture frame and if this was posted in the critique section i think all of these would be mentioned. Yet all because of his camera and also because of the photo editing software used the picture does look good. The people, buildings all have a luminated like quality on them that you won't see were you to say use a cmaera phone to take and just post here without editing with software. Try using say a lower quality camera and take the same exact picture by standing at that spot and people will say it doesn't look nice but they won't comment on the camera used at all but on the skill of the picture taker.

Noob me thinks that its 50% photography skills, 40% moment (right place at right time) and 10% equipment.
if talking about IQ, then i would say equipment plays a big part. :lovegrin:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/the-tale-of-the-weasel-and-woodpecker#.imGq3EL6p

Last edited:
Better equipment gives you better resolution, cleaner high iso pictures and sharper picture.

So if the phototaker who usually shoots garbage upgrades his equipment. He will shoot cleaner and sharper high resolution garbage.

Any picture can prove anything... i can show you wonderful pictures shot with lousy equipment too.

We are not facing the real world if we are always using such extrema argument.....

May I ask you, what camera are u using? Do you always want to see the latest camera/gadgets... etc....

Let be honest with ourselves and with technological advances....

somehow this discussion has escalated to a point where I want to say, good photos are about having an eye for the moment--the question is "do you've the right equipment to capture that fleeting moment?" in this case, a good smart phone would have the basics of capturing what our eyes would perceive.
or are you the one who creates such a moment? more of a still life or studio photographer that recreates a vision they have into reality.

would you rate yourself a good photographer if you took good photos with your phone rather than your camera? its not the tools in your hand that makes you who you're but rather what you could do with the tools that makes you the photographer.

a simple question, how would your photograph a photographer and portray him as a photographer within your shot? have him hold his camera? or at least of similar element within the frame?

there are those who have the creativity to see things that we don't but lack the technicality to achieve it. there are those with the skills but lack the eye for such opportunity. those with both would be the one who would bloom into an artist that creates photos that would evoke emotions.

I prefer for them to comment on my skill of course but my point is that some of us don't own that kind of cameras or software to produce some of those types of high quality pictures so we need to work much harder to get a nice pic.

The pic you showed looks artistic but in my opinion i don't think it looks anything special.

That pic is one of the most well known picture from street photographer Henri Cartier Bresson...

We are not facing the real world if we are always using such extrema argument.....

May I ask you, what camera are u using? Do you always want to see the latest camera/gadgets... etc....

Let be honest with ourselves and with technological advances....

Extreme argument?

I am using higher end equipment now only because I am shooting in conditions where technology can help me attain what I want easier. And the biggest reason also is now I can afford it.

New technology can allow you to do more, faster, better and easier. It will open up more possibilities for the user. BUT it will NEVER make a lousy photographer suddenly shoot wonderful pictures.

But history has already shown... many great pictures are shot with very old equipment.

Take a look at Ansel Adams, Henri Cartier Bresson just to name 2. Their equipment is old and terrible by today's standards. But their pictures are still awesome by today's standards. People take classes in photography schools just to analyze their picttures even today.

It is a simple fact. If you use top end equipment, but do not know how to compose or shoot properly, your results will still be garbage. Is it extreme? No....

Sharing a couple of pics I shot with very old equipment many years ago... all with point and shoots at least 10 years old. back then top ISO available was 400. These cameras are not even half as good as an iphone6 or current day $100 point and shoots. Do a search online... you can find many more better examples too...

Fuji S9000
3407636320_a45bbf80cc_z.jpg

Fuji S9000
3580493418_fe0792a896_z.jpg

This one is shot handheld with 5MP mini point and shoot from 2004. Doesn't even have RAW capability。 Fuji F450
3385286966_4d23b3d062_z.jpg

Last edited:
Your comment, Mr. Chng, regarding the iPhone 6's camera, carries weight. I've attended your birding session presentation at CS & seen your photos taken with high end equipment. I agree with you that the iPhone 6 gives good photos. In my recent trip, 1/4 of my photos & videos were taken with the iP6 (the slow motion feature is very good); another 1/4 by the G1X-II and only half by the DSLR compared with earlier trips when I used a DSLR mainly. How times have changed. And all photos turned out to my satisfaction regardless of which camera I use during the trip.

Capturing a moment in time to preserve the memory in the way one wants to frame it is key. A good camera helps. When I see Henri C. Bresson's photos, read about him in many varied articles and watch videos of his interviews, I appreciate his insights regarding those moments in time that he has photographed. A photograph is an art form which can be appreciated by many from different angles; but the photographer's angle is the original one with regard to intent & purpose.

Bro, you missed one point in Mr Chng's presentation. His equipment, especially the cameras he used to capture the pictures shown in the talk, are terrible performing cameras by today's standards. Skill bro, skill.

somehow this discussion has escalated to a point where I want to say, good photos are about having an eye for the moment--the question is "do you've the right equipment to capture that fleeting moment?" in this case, a good smart phone would have the basics of capturing what our eyes would perceive.
or are you the one who creates such a moment? more of a still life or studio photographer that recreates a vision they have into reality.

would you rate yourself a good photographer if you took good photos with your phone rather than your camera? its not the tools in your hand that makes you who you're but rather what you could do with the tools that makes you the photographer.

a simple question, how would your photograph a photographer and portray him as a photographer within your shot? have him hold his camera? or at least of similar element within the frame?

there are those who have the creativity to see things that we don't but lack the technicality to achieve it. there are those with the skills but lack the eye for such opportunity. those with both would be the one who would bloom into an artist that creates photos that would evoke emotions.

Well said...

Bro, you missed one point in Mr Chng's presentation. His equipment, especially the cameras he used to capture the pictures shown in the talk, are terrible performing cameras by today's standards. Skill bro, skill.

Sorry Albert that I didn't write clearly. What I meant was when Mr. Chng said his iPhone 6 is his "best camera," I can believe him because he has used good or much better cameras & gears before to take his birding photos, not that he uses a smartphone for his photo-taking only. Thus what he said carries weight. If a young person who has not produced good photos with good gears said his or her iPhone is the "best camera," I wouldn't have agreed so readily without questioning further.

Without a doubt, Mr. Chng is skillful in his craft as proven in his commercial & hobbyist's work. Thus, his two posted iPhone photos showed clearly to TS and to all of us that when a skillful photographer uses a lower end camera, it can still give good results. Last but not least, for myself, I'm finding that smartphones and better PnS cameras can help ordinary travel photo-takers like me have good keepsake photos besides using a DSLR. Notice that I don't dare call myself a photographer yet :)

Last edited:
Sorry Albert that I didn't write clearly. What I meant was when Mr. Chng said his iPhone 6 is his "best camera," I can believe him because he has used good or much better cameras & gears before to take his birding photos, not that he uses a smartphone for his photo-taking only. Thus what he said carries weight. If a young person who has not produced good photos with good gears said his or her iPhone is the "best camera," I wouldn't have agreed so readily without questioning further.

Without a doubt, Mr. Chng is skillful in his craft as proven in his commercial & hobbyist's work. Thus, his two posted iPhone photos showed clearly to TS and to all of us that when a skillful photographer uses a lower end camera, it can still give good results. Last but not least, for myself, I'm finding that smartphones and better PnS cameras can help ordinary travel photo-takers like me have good keepsake photos besides using a DSLR. Notice that I don't dare call myself a photographer yet :)

;) sorry i misunderstood your post...

Why does TS always stir up such great emotions amongst us all the time?

Because he hits the belief that many many gear hoarders have: that expensive high end equipment will automatically yield great results...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8570/16685226946_dfd5bbc2f3_b.jpg

You look at the photo the main subject should be the golden tooth temple but you see cars, pedestrians, cyclists all in the picture and on top of that there are trees and other buildings all vying for the person's attention. There are really so many elements in the picture frame and if this was posted in the critique section i think all of these would be mentioned. Yet all because of his camera and also because of the photo editing software used the picture does look good. The people, buildings all have a luminated like quality on them that you won't see were you to say use a cmaera phone to take and just post here without editing with software. Try using say a lower quality camera and take the same exact picture by standing at that spot and people will say it doesn't look nice but they won't comment on the camera used at all but on the skill of the picture taker.

You choice of photo really speaks volume of someone who fails to recognise good work, let alone producing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kei1309
I prefer for them to comment on my skill of course but my point is that some of us don't own that kind of cameras or software to produce some of those types of high quality pictures so we need to work much harder to get a nice pic.

The pic you showed looks artistic but in my opinion i don't think it looks anything special.

everyone has his/her own preferences.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Rhein_II.jpg
imho, this photo also doesn't look special. but let's the $$$ talk...

Ah I like guessing games

Would like to invite thread-starter and fellow members to guess if the following photos are taken by
a. Smartphone
b. Point and shoot camera
c. APS-C / Crop sensor DSLR
d. Full frame DSLR

You may also want to explain what is the reason you say so :)

this type of guessing game is pointless. one can shoot using medium format and purposely shake the camera, focus wrongly, add noises, etc....

Permit me to add a few more thoughts of my own concerning photographs. The value of each and every photo which one has taken or kept will in time show its value regardless of its sharpness, colours, framing or type, etc. Why do I say that? Take for example, these that I shared in CS in mid-2013:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283938&p=8519687

These photos are 53 years old today. They are not sharp, not too well framed, not in colour, printed on photo papers much smaller than 4R size; but they are so valuable to me because they captured the moments in time then and can no longer be re-taken in the same way. Thus, we should not be only concerned with cameras and gears alone, or be chasing new gadgets for their own sakes, but to value photo-taking and memories more. Bresson used an apt term, "That Decisive Moment."

Although these old photos were taken by my late uncle, I too have many of my own photos taken with simple cameras over many years. I've travelled far and wide continually over more than four decades and have quite a few thousand film and digital photos. I seldom think of the cameras I use when I see the photos; I only cherish their value of bringing back fond memories of the places I've visited, the events, the food, the company of family members or friends that were with me, etc. Most of the photos were less than stellar in quality but they increase in value (at least to me) as the years roll on. Yes, in the last five years, with the DSLR, the photos taken were sharper, clearer and more vivid in colours than before. Digital ones allow me to safe-keep them in multiple storage places or to print out. But value wise, the principle remains the same as before.

Just a thought; not much more with these comments above. So, the points raised by TS in his first post are not unimportant, but in my opinion, not of primary concern.

yeah, let everyone shoot what they like, dun be busy body. as long he/she happy with his/her own pic, can liao ;p

Last edited:
ya dun think they're same person. it seems soulblade88 just anyhow posted subatoyo's pic on this thread. nice try anyway :bsmilie:

Sorry, mistook him for someone else. I was Googling his pictures and found that he also posted Rexer's photos under his own username in other forums.

Guys 算了吧. TS is prob laughing his head off. Every now and then post a 'meh' picture and subsequently proceed to talk about how great equipment can take great pictures. Then see how everyone 自相残杀. We all have better things to do! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.