thinking of getting a canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
i have many friends who tells me when shooting portraits, canon is the way to go.
i'm not trying to start a dispute as to whether nikon or canon is better in whatever ways.
but it kind of got me curious,so i'm speculating on getting a canon system to try it.

question is, which canon dslr should i get?not the top of the range mkii or whatsoever please.

what's the equivilant of d200 for canon cameras?
i'm only thinking of getting a(ONE) portrait lens for the canon dslr.

please advise?

no cockadoodledoo talk please.

30D with 50 :thumbsup: lens

since i'm getting 1 lens, would probably go for a zoom range.

30D how many MP ah?and roughly cost?

i have many friends who tells me when shooting portraits, canon is the way to go.
i'm not trying to start a dispute as to whether nikon or canon is better in whatever ways.
but it kind of got me curious,so i'm speculating on getting a canon system to try it.

question is, which canon dslr should i get?not the top of the range mkii or whatsoever please.

please advise?

I'm sure your current camera can do nice portraits too. Like the pros said, "it's the person behind the equipment that matters."

I'm sure your current camera can do nice portraits too. Like the pros said, "it's the person behind the equipment that matters."

please lah.this is not the point.:confused:

since i'm getting 1 lens, would probably go for a zoom range.

30D how many MP ah?and roughly cost?

30D has 8 mega pix. cost now is $19xx at CP. Good enough to print A8 size. I personally never use 8 mega or even 10 mega for photog shoot.

Zoom lens? u can choose 24 70 L or 70 -200 L

Damage: Min of $4350.

I am sure u can afford it ;)

She has money and time. Let her try another system. Beside Canon, you can try Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Leica, etc...

Regards,
Arto.

30D has 8 mega pix. cost now is $19xx at CP. Good enough to print A8 size. I personally never use 8 mega or even 10 mega for photog shoot.

Zoom lens? u can choose 24 70 L or 70 -200 L

Damage: Min of $4350.

I am sure u can afford it ;)

on the contrary, i always shoot at the highest res in case i need to do some cropping.
does canon have any that's 10mp?
IIRC, canon has a 85 1.2?

i can afford it, but only 1 lens and 1 body.:sticktong

You could get a 2nd hand 20D, It's essentially similar to the 30D. There are many on sale now in B&S.
As for lens, depends on your budget. if you want the best zoom lens, get the 24-70 2.8L.
You like got a lot of $$$ hor... trying everything there is... :p I wonder what u work as...

Actually the only D200 on a Canon that i can think of is an EOS 5D.

please guys, last thing i need now is sarcasm.
if intend to cockadoodledoo, do it in kopitiam.

TIA

please advise?

May i know the reason as to why Canon is better for portraits?I just changed my whole Canon system to Nikon & honestly speaking,i don't see a difference in terms of image quality wise.If you really wanna get one,can consider a 30D with maybe a 24-70L.On the 30D,it would become a 38.4-112mm which i consider a nice focal length for portraits plus it's f/2.8 ;)

May i know the reason as to why Canon is better for portraits?I just changed my whole Canon system to Nikon & honestly speaking,i don't see a difference in terms of image quality wise.If you really wanna get one,can consider a 30D with maybe a 24-70L.On the 30D,it would become a 38.4-112mm which i consider a nice focal length for portraits plus it's f/2.8 ;)

they told me 'for capturing skin tones and colors', canon is the way to go.
24-70L sounds good.but would prefer something from 50-200 2.8, and good bokeh.

PS ALL:i WANT TO STRESS...i'm not here to contest which is better.i jsut want some recommendations relating to canon system.PERIOD.

PS ALL:i WANT TO STRESS...i'm not here to contest which is better.i jsut want some recommendations relating to canon system.PERIOD.
IMHO, you should ask on Canon forum lah...

Regards,
Arto.

IMHO, you should ask on Canon forum lah...

Regards,
Arto.

arto,
reason i didnt, was i somehow knew it will go way 'offtopic' eventually thread locked.:embrass: :dunno:

No worries,i can't be bothered about the contest either.Both are equally good system,i changed system because of my own preferences.Why not u rent a 30D and a lens you like and try it out first?If you really do see a difference then you can consider getting one,if not don't waste money lor :)

There's no single lens that covers the 50-200 f2.8 range as far as I know. What you can do is get a 70-200 f2.8, IS or not up to you. Then get a 50 1.8 or 1.4 to complement that.
Since you're using a camera with crop factor already, I don't suggest getting the 5D unless you want to try full frame for a change. Hmm.. or maybe if u have the cash, you should. It's a different ball game altogether.

on the contrary, i always shoot at the highest res in case i need to do some cropping.
does canon have any that's 10mp?
IIRC, canon has a 85 1.2?

i can afford it, but only 1 lens and 1 body.:sticktong

Currently 400D has 10 mega and has just about everything u see in 30D plus sensor cleaner.

Damage? $1370 w/o kit at CP

yes there is a 85 L . Will cost u a cool $3xxxx.

Also u need a 580Ex for fill light...etc unless u want to go ambient

I have meant well all along but I just wanna say it is costly to change system. I am sure those who has had changed to Canon to Nikon vice versa can attest.

I am sure you will consider the factors thoroughly

No worries,i can't be bothered about the contest either.Both are equally good system,i changed system because of my own preferences.Why not u rent a 30D and a lens you like and try it out first?If you really do see a difference then you can consider getting one,if not don't waste money lor :)

can elaborate the 'preference' part?i'm sure there are factors.if inconv,pm me.

There's no single lens that covers the 50-200 f2.8 range as far as I know. What you can do is get a 70-200 f2.8, IS or not up to you. Then get a 50 1.8 or 1.4 to complement that.
Since you're using a camera with crop factor already, I don't suggest getting the 5D unless you want to try full frame for a change. Hmm.. or maybe if u have the cash, you should. It's a different ball game altogether.

i mean to say, i'm hoping to get a range from 50-200, but that'll most prob be more than 1 lens.sorry i didnt make myself clear.:embrass:

so 30d,400d all are FF or cropper?
and why ff is a diff ball game other than the crop factor?any diff in image quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.