thinking of getting a canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently 400D has 10 mega and has just about everything u see in 30D plus sensor cleaner.

Damage? $1370 w/o kit at CP

yes there is a 85 L . Will cost u a cool $3xxxx.
Also u need a 580Ex for fill light...etc unless u want to go ambient

I have meant well all along but I just wanna say it is costly to change system. I am sure those who has had changed to Canon to Nikon vice versa can attest.

I am sure you will consider the factors thoroughly

holy moly.30k?so ex ah?

no no no, i'm NOT changing system.i love my nikon.i just want to try canon.that's all.
the last time i tried canon was film days.

i mean to say, i'm hoping to get a range from 50-200, but that'll most prob be more than 1 lens.sorry i didnt make myself clear.:embrass:

so 30d,400d all are FF or cropper?
and why ff is a diff ball game other than the crop factor?any diff in image quality?

30D and 400D have a 1.6x crop factor. 5D is full frame. The perspective would be different I guess. 50mm would really be 50mm and 200mm is really just 200mm. Have toyed with my friend's 5D, but haven't actually gone on a real shoot with it. Noise control as far as I know is excellent. No visible noise at iso 800. I heard that the colours are also different. Best to check with 5D users.

If you want to try Canon, go for the 5D. Don't bother with 30D or anything below. It's not that they are no good, but your D200 will probably as well or better.

BC

If you want to try Canon, go for the 5D. Don't bother with 30D or anything below. It's not that they are no good, but your D200 will probably as well or better.

BC

bc, are u a canon user?
damage of a 5d?

Think there was a typo. The 85 1.2L is $3K+.

30d,400d, 5d.

which one have fill flash?
and can the 580ex speedlight fire wirelessly like the sb800, using build in flash to trigger?

they told me 'for capturing skin tones and colors', canon is the way to go.
24-70L sounds good.but would prefer something from 50-200 2.8, and good bokeh.

PS ALL:i WANT TO STRESS...i'm not here to contest which is better.i jsut want some recommendations relating to canon system.PERIOD.

Skin tones and colors...:think:

It does not matter to me, since I adjust the color anyway during post processing. Sometimes preference for colour and tones is subjective.

BC

Skin tones and colors...:think:

It does not matter to me, since I adjust the color anyway during post processing. Sometimes preference for colour and tones is subjective.

BC

dont forget i'm not a pp expert.so i was advise to get it right in the first place.
u adjust based on your gut feeling or is there a good workflow to follow?can share?

bc, are u a canon user?
damage of a 5d?
Last I heard its about 4.5k now? For brand new warrantied set. What is your total budget btw?

I would suggest, get a used 20D (many popping up at CS buy sell section), can be had for as little as 1.1k now. Excellent body and close to the 1.5x crop factor of your D200. Then spend majority of your cash in lens. Perhaps a 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 (great lens and much cheaper than f1.2 version). And if you have enough change to spare, a 70-200mm f2.8 (IS or non IS up to you) and 580EX flash to complete the portraiture lineup.

Actually, if I were in your shoes and contemplating a good body for portraiture, I would wait for the S5Pro. :)

dont forget i'm not a pp expert.so i was advise to get it right in the first place.
u adjust based on your gut feeling or is there a good workflow to follow?can share?

Hi Jeanie,

There are excellent tutorials in the "Digital Darkroom" on adjusting skintones. Honestly, if you really want to try a Canon, try borrowing/renting one first. Canon's color tones tend to be more "neutral", which you can get on your Nikon by putting the saturation to -1.

As for capturing the skin tone, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax all perform about the same, with the Nikon and Sony capturing a slightly warmer skin tone unless you change the saturation (which is good, imho).

What is "right" in the first place?

The only thing absolute is when you use a colorimeter and colour standards to measure the colour output. However, most of us photographers are not concern with that but how the photograph appear to us. I would say some will prefer the colour rendition of the Canon and some Nikon. Some will tweak the settings (contrast, saturation, etc) and others upload custom curves into the camera. It's all down to how the photographer wants the photo to appear.

Usually, I adjust the colour based on feeling. However, if I were to produce a series of photos, I will try to make sure the the skin tones is consitent across the photos. Sometimes, I don't even want a neutral skin tone.

BC

Last I heard its about 4.5k now? For brand new warrantied set. What is your total budget btw?

I would suggest, get a used 20D (many popping up at CS buy sell section), can be had for as little as 1.1k now. Excellent body and close to the 1.5x crop factor of your D200. Then spend majority of your cash in lens. Perhaps a 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 (great lens and much cheaper than f1.2 version). And if you have enough change to spare, a 70-200mm f2.8 (IS or non IS up to you) and 580EX flash to complete the portraiture lineup.

Actually, if I were in your shoes and contemplating a good body for portraiture, I would wait for the S5Pro. :)

my budget is 5k.slightly more ok.
the 70-200 with or without IS, is there a significant diff other than the vibration reduction like nikon?focusing speed and such.are they the same?(is vs non is).

4.5k is rather ex for body only.

Hi Jeanie,

There are excellent tutorials in the "Digital Darkroom" on adjusting skintones. Honestly, if you really want to try a Canon, try borrowing/renting one first. Canon's color tones tend to be more "neutral", which you can get on your Nikon by putting the saturation to -1.

As for capturing the skin tone, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax all perform about the same, with the Nikon and Sony capturing a slightly warmer skin tone unless you change the saturation (which is good, imho).

i tried the tutorials.it really isnt that great imho.and only 'works' for certain pics imho.i may not have done it spot on 100% though so it may be PLBK(keyboard).:bsmilie:

She has money and time. Let her try another system. Beside Canon, you can try Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Leica, etc...

Regards,
Arto.
:bsmilie: she can try leica and skip the rest. :thumbsup:

anyway since you just shooting portrait, i think a 350D or 400D would do... doubt you need those extra features from a 30D or 20D.. with the rest of the $ you can get an extra lens or a good L lens.

i tried the tutorials.it really isnt that great imho.and only 'works' for certain pics imho.i may not have done it spot on 100% though so it may be PLBK(keyboard).:bsmilie:

Jeanie,
If you don't mind to use a second hand camera then look for 2nd 30D/20D. I could find many good cam at the BnS thread. Er..I think if you post a thread that "Canon will rule over all" then for sure many people here would borrow you a 70-200 f2.8 IS. Sorry I don't have but if I had had it, I would have lended to you..The damage only about 1.5k only..Er..don't waste your money bah..

my budget is 5k.slightly more ok.
the 70-200 with or without IS, is there a significant diff other than the vibration reduction like nikon?focusing speed and such.are they the same?(is vs non is).

4.5k is rather ex for body only.

interesting thread hmmm ... there goes ur bonus :p

my 0.02 cents : i like the low noise for canon hee

just rent one first... Save $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.