The Zitting Cisticola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Introduction - The Zitting Cisticola, Cisticola juncidis, is a member of the 40+ species strong Family Cisticolidae. A tiny bird that is only about 10cm in length, this species of Cisticola sports a brownish crown and upper-part marked with thick black streaks and buffed white under-parts. It is also known as the Fan-tailed Cisticola or the Fan-tailed Warbler (supposedly an English name).

2005-zitcisticola-2.jpg

The Zitting Cisticola or Fan-tailed Warbler

Origin and habitat - It is believed that the Zitting Cisticola originates from the continent of Africa where the majority of this large family populate. While it is not known to be migratory, some species in Eastern Asia are known to avoid harsh winters by moving to warmer regions. This species favors open grassy lands, scrublands and the likes. It can be found in many scrub and grassy regions in Singapore.

The Name - The name "Zitting Cisticola" is derived from the bird's habit of fanning out its tail in flight with an insect-like rhyme that goes "zit-zit-zit". Its is fond of flying in a circular flight pattern that makes it seem to be hovering in the air but its small physique makes it hard for one to spot it when it is flying in an open sky. Well, one will almost hear it flying first before you can spot it. Interestingly, it is coined "the helicopter bird" by a couple of my fellow nature photographers.

Photographer's note - Extremely skittish and active, the Zitting Cisticola is not an easy subject to tackle in the field. Its irregular flight path and small size makes it hard to track in an open sky. It is this day when this particular Cisticola decides to land for a rest that I finally manage to get a clean, clear shot of it in its wholesome goodness. I hope you will enjoy its beauty as much as I do capturing it ;)

2005-zitcisticola-1.jpg

A snap-second before it took off, the Zitting Cisticola bathed in the morning sun

For your comments and viewing pleasure. :)

At such a close range, an amazing catch indeed :thumbsup: !

Nice lightings and beautiful background. It's not easy to get close to this fella. Well done! :)

nice catch of a fast-moving bird :)

Good close-up shots of this little cutie Avatar :thumbsup: Simply love the pose of the subject and the cosy bg of both pics.

Cheers

Stunning captures, especially #2, lovely background!! :thumbsup: Thanks for the informative write-up too. So this is the famous tiny "helicopter bird" which makes those "zit zit" noises. :) Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.