The smallest of them all, the Sterna albifrons ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Following skfoo's inspiring post "Fish Delivery" of the Little Tern (Sterna albifrons), this sea-bird is no longer a stranger to the community.

Terns?
The Terns, a species of sea-bird that is a close cousin of the gulls. These birds are often related to many astonishing records for migration over great distances. The Arctic Terns, for example, are recorded to travel up to 11,000 miles (over 17,500km), that is pole to pole per trip (they make another trip back to their winter home after they breed).

A little on the "little"
The Sterna albifrons or Little Tern, the smallest species in its gene (22-24cm), is one of a few breeding migrant terns that grace our shores. Nesting along our sandy beaches, it feeds on ample supplies of small fishes and crustaceans from the sea.

Presenting thee, a mini series of my humble shots of this fabulous subject ...

2005-06-littleterns-00a.jpg

Food! Spotting its mate, the female tern sparks in excitement

2005-06-littleterns-00.jpg

Returning with its catch, this little tern homes in to hungry mate

2005-06-littleterns-01.jpg

Flapping its wings exuberantly, this hungry female is expecting nothing less of a good meal

2005-06-littleterns-02.jpg

Passing on its catch to its mate, the male proves itself capable of the art of a good hunt

Threats of extinction
The Little Tern is listed as an endangered species in many countries (eg. Australia). Like many other species of avian out there, their natural habitats are fast dwindling in our island state. Many of our costal shorelines are currently under the threat of construction/excavation work, leaving behind vast stretches of inhabitable beaches for these sea-birds. To add, human pollution of water sources and beaches are not doing much to help this struggling species too.

I hope that by capturing these images, me and my fellow nature-loving photographers will be able to do our part in educating the importance of conserving nature habitats so that our future generations can too enjoy the beauty of this bird and learn to respect nature more.

For your comments and viewing pleasure. :)

You people just cant leave the birds alone. Hehe... superb catch! You must have been eyeing on this bird for a long time I guess. Great effort. Cheers!

Simply stunning captures. :thumbsup: Good action captured with clean background. The last 2 pics get my vote. Well done my friend!

Great photos!!!

superb!!!! very nice catch......are u waited for so long for this shots? wish to how long u take to get those shots, mind to tell? thanx

SUPERB!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wow........... great shots.........

wk/hamzee/garion/sumball/walker/benchang/will03:

Thank you. It took us some time to get this accomplished but it is well worth the effort. Your input is greatly appreciate. :)

Oh man, don't know what to say. WOW!, I guess that's the only word when seen these pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.