The Risks Street Photographers Take

Locally I've had a bottle of rice wine thrown at me, thank god for my cat like reflexes, ducked & bottle few over my head.

Lately in Hanoi, I got surrounded by 4-6 communist policemen :bsmilie:
as you can see, they weren't really happy boys
39434_466654812451_663132451_6016582_1519139_n.jpg

I'm one of those guilty people of being highly intrusive. You can see from this picture how close I get when I shoot
5290184315_04ec0fb93c.jpg

Not only do I get near, like in this reflection, still kneel down to get a better picture :bsmilie:

Uh-oh... I smells trouble :sweat: Especially the policeman on the left...

That's really impressive for you to go so near to your subject O_O

The most dangerous/embarassing encounter for me is when I took a shot of this burly dude inside the train. I used a 10-20mm on him.:nono: He got so pissed that he kicked me on the foot just before he got off. It didn't hurt, but what did was the faint whispers and snickers of other commuters.:cry: I was so humiliated I got off the next stop (Serangoon MRT) and just took the next train straight to my destination (Sengkang).:bsmilie:

Here's Mr. Personality:
DSC06462b-1.jpg

Moral lesson: There's bold and there's TOO bold. Don't be the latter because it might kill you.

This photo screams "wanted"! Pretty bold to post a picture of someone you had an alteration with and hope it doesn't get any worst!

Uh-oh... I smells trouble :sweat: Especially the policeman on the left...

That's really impressive for you to go so near to your subject O_O

Yea, got stopped by these guys & more policemen came out from the police station to confront me! haha!

Apparently, I didnt learn my lesson, headed to ho chi minh mausoleum after getting confronted & took pictures of policemen playing with iPhone :bsmilie:

Yep, I get pretty near. Using 35mm on full frame. My camera doesnt have zoom ;)

Yea, got stopped by these guys & more policemen came out from the police station to confront me! haha!

Apparently, I didnt learn my lesson, headed to ho chi minh mausoleum after getting confronted & took pictures of policemen playing with iPhone :bsmilie:

Yep, I get pretty near. Using 35mm on full frame. My camera doesnt have zoom ;)

Steady! But for good photos... up sword hills, down hot oily pans also must! :bsmilie:

The most dangerous/embarassing encounter for me is when I took a shot of this burly dude inside the train. I used a 10-20mm on him.:nono: He got so pissed that he kicked me on the foot just before he got off. It didn't hurt, but what did was the faint whispers and snickers of other commuters.:cry: I was so humiliated I got off the next stop (Serangoon MRT) and just took the next train straight to my destination (Sengkang).
Here's Mr. Personality:
DSC06462b-1.jpg

Moral lesson: There's bold and there's TOO bold. Don't be the latter because it might kill you.

lol amazing shot haha though i hafta agree it looks like a "wanted" poster or something hahaha tho a great pic for a small kick seems like a good settle haha jkjk lol

Locally I've had a bottle of rice wine thrown at me, thank god for my cat like reflexes, ducked & bottle few over my head.

wow toiled but def nt in vain :) cool pics haha did all the policemen in the pic go after you?

??

how close is close?

I think I was only 1.5meters away. The reflection makes me seem further I guess.

Any nearer, I cant get a clear picture. My 50 year old lens focus down to 1 meter only :cry:

There are good street photographs that were taken with FE. Post them up sometime. Just saying, it's all relative.

Close or not, is not important. What's important is the concept and the idea behind the street photograph. If you can somehow make it all fall into place.. Close, far, sharp, unsharp, who the hell cares. :)

Just the other day I was trying to get a pic of ppl fishing WW. Over there u can fish but cannot use bait. So when I whip out my camera, some started to leave and their face like si beh unhappy. So I saw this uncle quickly ride his bicycle gg past me, so I took a snap of him cycling. after that he not happy and show his hand like "Wth?!" many times. I just make myself look dumb and he sped off. lol

Just the other day I was trying to get a pic of ppl fishing WW. Over there u can fish but cannot use bait. So when I whip out my camera, some started to leave and their face like si beh unhappy. So I saw this uncle quickly ride his bicycle gg past me, so I took a snap of him cycling. after that he not happy and show his hand like "Wth?!" many times. I just make myself look dumb and he sped off. lol

something like this? :bsmilie:

IMGP7558.JPG

There are good street photographs that were taken with FE. Post them up sometime. Just saying, it's all relative.

Close or not, is not important. What's important is the concept and the idea behind the street photograph. If you can somehow make it all fall into place.. Close, far, sharp, unsharp, who the hell cares. :)

yep yep, agree on that..

Er.... btw, what is FE ah?

if you are shooting upclose, be prepared to get stared, scolded, chased away

Very well said :thumbsup:

Personally I think it's rude to stick a camera in someone's face and take their photo even though you knew clearly they are uncomfortable with it. i know photography is an intrusive medium. But then, there's a fine line between being bold and being rude.

if you are shooting upclose, be prepared to get stared, scolded, chased away

Sometimes if too close and get stared at sharply, just ask and speak nicely. If they refused, walk away. If already taken and they insist on grabbing your gear, just delete that shot in front of them in order not to offend further.