The question you always thought but never dare ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonfire

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
For me, I have always wondered why contax stuff are so expensive. Maybe someone can answer my question.

Pricing, Marketing, Branding.

Why Canon's 300/2.8L IS so expensive ($7K+/-), same thing. Contax just did not want enter a market which might "degrade" the image they created.

theITguy said:
Pricing, Marketing, Branding.

Why Canon's 300/2.8L IS so expensive ($7K+/-), same thing. Contax just did not want enter a market which might "degrade" the image they created.

But Contax is not even in the same league as Canon or Nikon. Different image?

I think its more economies of scale. think assembly line and marketing..

Contax is expensive because of the glass.. zeiss lens.. wat do u expect.. ;)

It's also because of demand and supply factors. Contax stuff are relatively expensive in Singapore, because of the small clientele. Back in Japan, Contax is actually a popular choice amongst photo enthusiasts, so it's slightly cheaper there.

bonfire said:
But Contax is not even in the same league as Canon or Nikon. Different image?

Contax is using Carl Zeiss lenses and the quality is :thumbsup: !
Nikon and Canon is mainstream camera that most pros and hobbist use.

read somewhere long ago a comparison done with 2 sigmas, 1 canon L lens & a contax. the contax came out top follow by canon & sigma last.

u pay a lot for optics precision, lens design, build quality & special coatings. same goes to Leica. :)

u very tempted to go high end? :D

contax expensive? are you sure?
I saw that second hand market for lens is almost the same as nikon n canon (for the same focal length lenses).

For the camera body, you can always use yashica body :D

The reason why I didn't go for contax system is because there's not many users in Singapore. So buying/selling lenses and accesories is difficult :D

popeye said:
contax expensive? are you sure?
I saw that second hand market for lens is almost the same as nikon n canon (for the same focal length lenses).

For the camera body, you can always use yashica body :D

The reason why I didn't go for contax system is because there's not many users in Singapore. So buying/selling lenses and accesories is difficult :D

Quite true as some of the 2nd hand Contax lenses are very affordable (same price as Nikon or Canon). Especially the G-series lenses and body are affordable too! :)
Do remember a camera is just a tool and choose the system that works with you best and dun just blindly follow others!

tan131 said:
Contax is expensive because of the glass.. zeiss lens.. wat do u expect.. ;)

Sony also used zesis lens in their camera, but they are not as expensive as contax.

bonfire said:
Sony also used zesis lens in their camera, but they are not as expensive as contax.

i beg to differ, i read somewhere that sony uses the zesis name and lens design but they manufactor their own lenses.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i beg to differ, i read somewhere that sony uses the zesis name and lens design but they manufactor their own lenses.

You mean Sony manufacte their own lenses?

bonfire said:

okie.. i do not know whether sony produces or manufactures it own lens and bought the rights to use the carl zeiss branding.. anyway.. if u compare the size of the glass and especially the quality.. u will know why.. ask any contaxt user.. and he/she will probably swear by it.. same goes for the leica users..

anyway.. leica and contaxt are probably for the serious hobbists.. they do not appeal to many users.. then again.. they always have a loyal following.. anyway.. do not judge the popularity base on the local market.. u will be taken aback on how popular they may be elsewhere.. ;)

tan131 said:
okie.. i do not know whether sony produces or manufactures it own lens and bought the rights to use the carl zeiss branding.. anyway.. if u compare the size of the glass and especially the quality.. u will know why.. ask any contaxt user.. and he/she will probably swear by it.. same goes for the leica users..

anyway.. leica and contaxt are probably for the serious hobbists.. they do not appeal to many users.. then again.. they always have a loyal following.. anyway.. do not judge the popularity base on the local market.. u will be taken aback on how popular they may be elsewhere.. ;)

Yeah, agree! Most Singapore hobbist uses a Nikon or a Canon. :)

XXX Boy said:
You mean Sony manufacte their own lenses?

oops, sorry, i dun think sony manufacte their lenses, but i read somewhere the sony lenses that slaps the CZ lenses are not actually made by ziess themsleves.

bonfire said:
For me, I have always wondered why contax stuff are so expensive. Maybe someone can answer my question.
WHY BMW 1.6CC CAR IS ALWAY EXPENSIVE THAN JAPANESE CAR / FUEL CONSUMPTION HIGHER THAN TOYATA POWER ??? HAVE DIFFERENCE NOT BETTER ....wHY?????M I ANSWER YR qUESTION , DIFFERENCE BUT NOT BETTER....

boopoo said:
WHY BMW 1.6CC CAR IS ALWAY EXPENSIVE THAN JAPANESE CAR / FUEL CONSUMPTION HIGHER THAN TOYATA POWER ??? HAVE DIFFERENCE NOT BETTER ....wHY?????M I ANSWER YR qUESTION , DIFFERENCE BUT NOT BETTER....

Cool man! You seems like shouting or your keyboard's cap-lock key spoilt?!
I would say that most Japanese product their aim is to make it more affordable for the mass so you can see alot of cost-cutting in their products...plastic parts, aluminium body instead of brass coated with chrome (cosina voigtlander) and etc.
European products are mean for lasting quality.
This is what I feel, I might be wrong. Pls forgive me and dun flame me! ;)

XXX Boy said:
Yeah, agree! Most Singapore hobbist uses a Nikon or a Canon. :)

But then popularity or sales volumes have no direct relation to quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.