The NEW Nikon D7000 or Nikon D300s ?

Your choice:

Results are only viewable after voting.

I think the d300s is suitable for people who have bigger hands that need a bigger grip. I prefer the ergonomics of a smaller camera, since i dont have huge hands. The d300s would suit people who love shooting sports, or need lots of convenient controls located outside menus.

not really i think..i've small hands and when i tried the D7000 with the 70-200 2.8 at the clubsnap kopi session, it's quite difficult to grip (too small and feel like plastic). the d300s is a few times better in terms of grip, ergonormics.

if new technology is not a concern and u intend to use the heavier FX lens on a DX camera, i still think D300s is a better choice.

I still love my D300s.
I love Nikon... it don't matter what model :cool:

not really i think..i've small hands and when i tried the D7000 with the 70-200 2.8 at the clubsnap kopi session, it's quite difficult to grip (too small and feel like plastic). the d300s is a few times better in terms of grip, ergonormics.

if new technology is not a concern and u intend to use the heavier FX lens on a DX camera, i still think D300s is a better choice.

Agree with you. For me, the feel, comfort level and balance of the body is very important especially when using it with the heavier FX lenses.:)

Agree with you. For me, the feel, comfort level and balance of the body is very important especially when using it with the heavier FX lenses.:)

70-200 f/2.8 VRII, 80-400 VR, 300 f/2.8 VRII, 200 f/2 VRII, it's heavy :eek:

It would be quite difficult to balanced the heavy lens with D7000, unless it's attached on tripod all the time.

Last edited:
while i maybe using a Nikon now, i hope in time to come, i will try out several of the other makers as well....and in different formats...just to experience what each equipment can bring out of my photographic journey...

take a look at the AF module on this site :

http://www.nicovandijk.net/matrixdamateur.htm

Does it mean that D7000 has a faster focussing speed than D300s?

From specs comparison table inside the link above, it's shown that D300s has AF draft shaft.
D3000, D5000, D3100, and D7000 don't have.

I am not sure what is it, but this additional features would give benefit and more compatibility for D300s user.

Last edited:
btw, an interesting review. if this is true, i'll get the d300s instead lol. need more backup though.

http://robertbromfield.com/nikon-d7000-review-and-impressions/

Second that !
Quote from Robert Bromfield's link:
Cons
* The sharpness of images are definitely an issue.
* Mushy shutter release button.
* Peripheral auto focus points that are not the most sensitive in low light situations.

Second that !
Quote from Robert Bromfield's link:
Cons
* The sharpness of images are definitely an issue.
* Mushy shutter release button.
* Peripheral auto focus points that are not the most sensitive in low light situations.

I think this should be one of the many features that differentiates the D7000 from the D300s and higher end models :)

From specs comparison table inside the link above, it's shown that D300s has AF draft shaft.
D3000, D5000, D3100, and D7000 don't have.

I am not sure what is it, but this additional features would give benefit and more compatibility for D300s user.

Probably has something to do with capabilities for AFD lenses.:think:

I think this should be one of the many features that differentiates the D7000 from the D300s and higher end models :)

for the sharpness issue, since he mentioned that D90 is acceptably sharp but not the D7000, i think this may be a technical issue instead.

Your really make me think over. I am holding a D80 now and am looking forward to buy a D7000. During the session, I find it smaller as compare to my D80. Look good to carry around. I know I am not a professional, I know I don't shot WAH's pictures . That all I know.and I know I enjoy photography but I want a light and good camera to move around comforably.

One thing, I know I will not like is my SB900 will look funny on the D7000. You know, big head and small Body.

Last edited:
for the sharpness issue, since he mentioned that D90 is acceptably sharp but not the D7000, i think this may be a technical issue instead.

I don't know about the others here. I've tried the D7000 and I find the pictures sharp and ISO performance is amazing, almost at par with the older D3. Usability wise D300s is faster to operate, with all the controls placement as well as the user banks for both the shooting menu and custom menu (separate banks for each). But ISO performance of D300s/D90/D5000 is way way way behind the D7000. So for people who need that feel and controls accessibility of a pro style DX body, you will have to wait for the D300s replacement. For others, the D7000 will be a very good buy.

D7000 shot at ISO6400 with 16-35/4 @ F4

D7000 shot at ISO1000 with 35/1.4G @ F1.4

Last edited:
If deciding on D7000 over other models D300s / D90, etc... one must ask if good high ISO-performance is REALLY important to oneself. If you do not require high-speed capture (even if coupled with a fast prime / zoom lens) that requires the back-up of superb high ISO capability, then D300s / D90 is good enough. D300s is better than D7000 in a number of aspects - just not the High-ISO performance (since it's sharing the same sensor as D90). The only way to supercede D7000's overall performance, including ISO, is to wait for D300s' replacement - rumoured "D400".

When D400 arrives, I'll have no doubt, most will look towards D400 rather than D7000 - high chance D400 will share the same ISO performance with D7000 for sure.

At the moment, it's a juggle between D7000 and D300s...like I've said - if ISO performance high on the priority list of considerations - D7000 all the way!

I don't know about the others here. I've tried the D7000 and I find the pictures sharp and ISO performance is amazing, almost at par with the older D3. Usability wise D300s is faster to operate, with all the controls placement as well as the user banks for both the shooting menu and custom menu (separate banks for each). But ISO performance of D300s/D90/D5000 is way way way behind the D7000. So for people who need that feel and controls accessibility of a pro style DX body, you will have to wait for the D300s replacement. For others, the D7000 will be a very good buy.

i would still pick D7000 as my 1st choice and seriously hope that the sharpness issue is an user error or bad copy.

D7000's ISO 6400 looks like ISO 400 or maybe 800 in my D60. :thumbsup:

i think one should factor in the price in making a decision.

still no word on the street price yet?