The need for a Flash (gun)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethidine

Feb 7, 2003
Singapore (Northern)
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a newly registered member. Although new, I've been reading posting here since April 2002.

Anyway, would like to hear advices from people here if a standalone flash unit (e.g. Canon 420 EX) is essential/necessary.

I am using a Canon EOS 33 SLR camera. It already has a build-in flash.

I am considering should I spend a few hundred dollars buying a flash unit, thinking that a flash unit may help when using my 70-210mm lens. Would like to stop spending on equipments but to spend a little more $$ on taking and developing photographs (to improve).

Erm.. I've just started this hobby of photography and basically will take photograph of almost anything (since still in learning stage).

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I am considering should I spend a few hundred dollars buying a flash unit, thinking that a flash unit may help when using my 70-210mm lens.

From the above, it sounds as if you would like an external flash unit for the extended coverage range. Yes, most Canon / third party speedlites would do the job better than your internal flash.

An external flash would be the next upgrade route to go when you find the internal flash inadequate for your needs. In anycase, it would also be easier to modify the flash output somewhat with an external flash as opposed to a pop-up internal.

eg. diffuse the output with omnibounce / bounce card, add colour gels, tilt and swivel the flash head, and at some stage, use it with a sync-cord to use the flash off-camera etc.

I'd say that if you are unsure whether if you need the external flash now, you can try looking for a cheap used unit first, and spend the savings on film and development.

From the above, it sounds as if you would like an external flash unit for the extended coverage range. Yes, most Canon / third party speedlites would do the job better than your internal flash.

Ermm.. not really extended coverage range, but rather to use it as a fill-in when doing shots.

I was wondering if it is advisable to spend the money for the flash now, or perhaps later when i "really" need it.

I do face problem where the flash applied is too hash. Also, under/overexposing (compensation) the build in flash is sometimes a bit difficult (need to press the Func button...etc..).

For 3rd party flash, can I still do bouncing, ETTL (??), diffuse?

Any recommendation for a "cheaper" and "good" flash other then Canon 420 EX?

Please advice....

For 3rd party flash, can I still do bouncing, ETTL (??), diffuse?

Any recommendation for a "cheaper" and "good" flash other then Canon 420 EX?

Flash gun is an important accessory for photography IMO. It is very versatile and you would need it both in day and night shot eg. fill flash, highlights etc.
Get the gun from Canon as it is synchronised. the only decision is whether you need to buy a more powerful gun.

Hi again,

So can I say, I should invest in a flash gun?

As for getting a flash the is powerful for most needs, I guess 420 EX should be OK rite? I don't think I need a 540 EX rite?

Don't really have much experience with Flash guns as most of the time, just fire the flash away (build in one). Only occassionally I compensate the flash for fill-ins.

Originally posted by pethidine
Hi again,

So can I say, I should invest in a flash gun?

As for getting a flash the is powerful for most needs, I guess 420 EX should be OK rite? I don't think I need a 540 EX rite?

Don't really have much experience with Flash guns as most of the time, just fire the flash away (build in one). Only occassionally I compensate the flash for fill-ins.

Do you use your built-in flash often ? As the primary light source or as fill flash. If you use if as a primary light source, then a external flash will definitely give you better results. You can bounce the flash for much more natural and softer results, and do away with red-eye. But if you are only using it for the occasional fill flash, then I would suggest you save your money till you really need it ( maybe there'll be a cheaper better version ? ).

So, depends if you actually use it.

Apart from Canon, you can try 3rd party ones. They are of course not as good, but are definitely cheaper. The Sigma EF500 Super is highly regarded, although there are reports of it not working well with digicams ( which you are not using anyway ).

If you go for Canon, the 420EX is probably a good bet, since you can make most flash related adjustment on your EOS 33 body, so that makes the extra control on the 550EX less compelling.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably go for the 420EX.

Status
Not open for further replies.