The most newbie newbie =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurarensu

Aug 8, 2006
Bukit Batok
Hi guys, i'm new here. hope you all don't find me irritating. i'm very interested in photography.. i wanna learn photography.. can any kind soul teach me the first basic thing? what is the affordable cheap good camera can i get? i'm only a student ;)

Anyway i live in the west(bukit batok), hope some kind friendly soul can teach me patiently.. hee :cool:

what kind of st uff do you want to shoot? and what kind of camera do you wish to have or can afford? :dunno:

ExplorerZ said:
what kind of st uff do you want to shoot? and what kind of camera do you wish to have or can afford? :dunno:

hmm now u ask i then realise what i want to shoot :D
ok basically i wanna shot more on artistic shots like those buildings, objects, cars, etc..? and also like photos of friends(group photo kind?)

for what i wish to have i really have no idea.. becus i noe nothing abt cams so i'm here to seek your professional advice :lovegrin: as in what i can afford gotta depends.. i'm a 17yrs old student wif low income.. gotta see whether can afford anot..

Welcome to CS! Perhaps explain a little bit more on what inspire your passion for photography..and the budget range you are comfortable with for a camera. As for learning photography, you can join some of the outings and learn from those oldbie..in CS we all share with one another..

Enjoy your stay..;)

Hi...hi. Firstly, welcome to the big family. You can rest assured that you will learn alot from our seniors and big brothers and big sisters here. Like you, I'm a newbie and still learning about photography too. For a start, you may want to get a 35mm film camera first. They are so cheap and allow you to explore into the different lenses available when you can afford one in the future. But generally, the kit lens is quite a good walk-about lens. Before you consider which camera to purchase, you have to first be aware of the different equipments you would need to get once you are into the system. For me I choose a Minolta system cos I am able to keep the len when i upgrade to the digital next time, hence, will save me some money for other lenses. You may wish to note that the basic equipment along with the camera body would be the lenses, filters, flash and tripod. But I do not own a tripod yet. :D You may want to consider the Minolta 505si which is what I am using now also. It's a very and reliable camera which can produce great pictures. In the B&S section, you can find a few CSers selling them at a very low price as they have upgraded their 35mm cameras to the digital ones. You can grab one from there. Most CSers take well care of their equipment so you don't have to worry about the quality of the cameras.

Let's start learning together. :thumbsup:

you have to be more specific about your budget... its all very well saying you are a poor student with low budget... but some "poor student" budget might be 1k, some might be $100...

personally, i would not recommend film camera for a beginner when you can get a cheap point and shoot digicam. the learning experience is so much faster with a digital because you get immediate feedback on what you shoot and you can then make on the spot adjustments to improve the photo, instead of paying $$$$ to develop film and waiting 1 week later.

in the old days, when we had no digital, then film was of course the only way to go. but i think people have to accept that new technology has really made photography a much easier art form to get into.

so going back to my advice, if your budget is a couple of hundred bucks, any 3 or 4mp P&S will get you started...

if you can stretch to 400-600, then i would suggest a prosumer camera that allows more manual control., and assuming you have no issues with carrying a bigger body.

if you can stretch to $800 and up, i would consider a 2nd hand DSLR body.

kurarensu said:
ok basically i wanna shot more on artistic shots like those buildings, objects, cars, etc..? and also like photos of friends(group photo kind?)

for what i wish to have i really have no idea.. becus i noe nothing abt cams so i'm here to seek your professional advice :lovegrin: as in what i can afford gotta depends.. i'm a 17yrs old student wif low income.. gotta see whether can afford anot..

go for a entry level dSLR if you know you will be taking up photography more and more... recommandation would be Nikon d50, canon 350d. the kit lens should do fine for shoot which you said above. (d50 = 1.1k wif kit lens, 350d = 1.5k with kit lens or 800 and 1200 as a 2hand set)

if budget is a problem, you might want to look at the fuji f30, canon 700/800 IS, panasonic fx01 (all ranging around 600)

kurarensu said:

Welcome to the club.

FYI, we have 17 yr old students here that have gears that even we as working adults cant afford. I'm dont shoot buildings and group photos so cant help you much.

Hi,

First, welcome to the club.

Next, look around the forums, lurk around (like I do :)), decide what sort of camera you want to get.

Then wait patiently at the Buy-and-sell forum (keep hitting refresh every few mins ;)) till a good deal comes along. then BUY :bsmilie:

The rest, as they say, would be history.

Regardless of what approach you take -- just remember to have fun :thumbsup:

kurarensu said:
Hi guys, i'm new here. hope you all don't find me irritating. i'm very interested in photography.. i wanna learn photography.. can any kind soul teach me the first basic thing? what is the affordable cheap good camera can i get? i'm only a student ;)

Anyway i live in the west(bukit batok), hope some kind friendly soul can teach me patiently.. hee :cool:
Check this out: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=214420

hmm.. actually i thinking of the nikon d50 cam.. i dont want to play with those flim one.. cos developing flim cost alot.. haha.. if always develop.. my father got one nikon cam i duno issit a SLR or what.. but it has interchangable lense, uses flim.. need to noe more abt the types of cameras.. btw what's SLR stands for? and what abt the P&S?

kurarensu said:
hmm.. actually i thinking of the nikon d50 cam.. i dont want to play with those flim one.. cos developing flim cost alot.. haha.. if always develop.. my father got one nikon cam i duno issit a SLR or what.. but it has interchangable lense, uses flim.. need to noe more abt the types of cameras.. btw what's SLR stands for? and what abt the P&S?

SLR = Single Lens Reflex
P&S = Point and Shoot

Welcome to CS! D50 is a very good camera if you can afford one.

i just realise the cam i haf @ home is a F50? kinda old one.. duno how to use it's full functions =) issit good to start with? i got a AF NIKKOR 35-70mm, 1:3.3-4.5 lense

The F50 is not that old SLR, though its an older model. If you are really interested, check out the basic photography courses at Photographic Society of Singapore or SAFRA (Mt Faber) and sign up for their basic course, which I think still can allow you to use film photography for the basics from shooting to developing. Find out more. After learning the basics, you would have a good idea on what you would like to do, and then decide on a digital format camera that suits your budget and needs.

Still spending some time here will give you more info.

kurarensu said:

mostly student i know have a D200 to 1D here...they have equipment that we can say wah...

your cheap can be like $10000...so state your budget...

DeSwitch said:
Welcome to the club.

FYI, we have 17 yr old students here that have gears that even we as working adults cant afford. I'm dont shoot buildings and group photos so cant help you much.

i have seem one student with 350D with grip...mum drive hirm to ste for shoot...dad cari the solid tripod for him follow behind...wonder where's the maid...cari lunch box maybe..;) just kiding.

Welcome, I'm a newbie too, joined just 1 month :)

kurarensu said:

first of all, consider the weight you can bear with when shooting and next the budget. the mood/willingness to bring around a certain weight is the single most important factor into what kind of camera system you go into, the next is whether you can afford it.

if you are willing to spend about $1500, you can go into a entry level DSLR and basic accessories. otherwise consider a prosumer or a good compact.

1st basic things to learn?

concept of light capturing by a sensor
- yes, most recommend understanding exposure by bryan peterson.
- this will enable you to move beyond mindless snap and take more into control
- pick up this text and understand it well, you can do that before you actually choose and got your camera. of cos this concept will be most useful when you got a DSLR

next thing is to understand lens properties

the basic steps in shooting when you have the camera include knowing
1. how to see (creative visualisation)
2. how to frame
3. how to meter
4. how to alter the shutter duration, aperture size, ISO, EV to achieve desired effects
5. how to focus
6. how to stabilise pressing and gain support to reduce camera shake
7. how to use filters
8. how to use flash (i dun know yet, frankly)
9. how to plan and choose your subject (photography involve actively hunting for your interested subject, e.g. old houses, models, insects)

kurarensu said:
i just realise the cam i haf @ home is a F50? kinda old one.. duno how to use it's full functions =) issit good to start with? i got a AF NIKKOR 35-70mm, 1:3.3-4.5 lense

in general, F stands for film, D for digital.

gd thing abt digital is how fast you can learn from the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.