the met

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuanzai

Jul 28, 2008
3367675581_21040c5eda.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

My main issue is with the cropping. I took this in a portrait orientation but cropped it square.

Anyway here is the link to the full size original image.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28998320@N03/3371100024/

And perhaps any other comments on the post processing would be nice.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took this at the Metropolitan Museum in nyc and i was pretty much intrigued by the space and the glass. Went back home and realised that what was behind the glass was equally intriguing. I just wanna show the contrast or the world outside the glass.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Er.. I think its nice? But it sort of lacks something. Tried to crop but still feels lacking.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

My main issue is with the cropping. I took this in a portrait orientation but cropped it square.

Anyway here is the link to the full size original image.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28998320@N03/3371100024/

And perhaps any other comments on the post processing would be nice.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took this at the Metropolitan Museum in nyc and i was pretty much intrigued by the space and the glass. Went back home and realised that what was behind the glass was equally intriguing. I just wanna show the contrast or the world outside the glass.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Er.. I think its nice? But it sort of lacks something. Tried to crop but still feels lacking.

what do you intend to show here?

i see a group of people, with a messy background behind the glass, i'm not sure what you intend to show , but it is probably not that. maybe another angle might be better, because the huge mess of elements behind the glass are seriously too cluttered to make this anything very glamourous or enticing to look at.

when in doubt, simplify.

Basically you have achieved what you wanted to show...

* the size of the slanting glass facade in contrast to the human scale.
* the world outside also can be clearly seen

so what is lacking ? Perhaps you can include part of or a piece of the exhibit ( if any nearby ) Large size one, not the small piece.

Can see some trees without leaves, maybe you want to tell outside is very cold comparing to inside, just a guess.

Last edited:
At times, you are being presented with a scene. You were inspired and formulated a proposition to photograph it but you have to pass a judgement on whether if the photo will look good. Strange but true, what appeals to your eyes might not end up good as a photo. Its could be the way you photograph it, the angle you took the photo, the lighting, etc.

As a photographer, you should be looking at different ways to photograph your subjects. Paying attention to the most minute details. You said something was missing from the photo. Have you explored other ways of taking it?

From another point of view?
Considered what to include and exclude?
Did you take the photo with the best lighting available?
If your intentions were to capture the grandeur of the space, do you have to capture the entire scane from floor to ceiling? Or would it be more effective to capture part of it, throw in a few figures for sense of scale? I'm actually thinking of just capturing part of the window straight on for a simpler composition.

Its absolutely critical to watch and control your perspective because lack of control will make your photo appear sloppy. This is evident as your floor is tilting upwards.

Don't rush into taking a photo. Exercise some judgement and formulate a design intent then work from there. You've got to have an idea of how to take that photo. Take it that your photo is a tool you use to realise an idea, not just a shot you took because you like the feel of the space. If you can go beyond that, you will get better instantly.

I personally very much like the subjects in the picture, they all look so pensive! Coupled with the brooding background outside there is very nice, dark mood to the image.

The cropping does not agree with me, since you have cramped up the space with the square crop. I took a look at the original one on Flickr and that one breathes far better! It has a better gradient in terms of tones as well and the composition naturally lends itself into a play on triangles, which is wonderful for interior spaces.

This image -> Alright.

Original image -> Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

I realise the question here is what am I trying to show. In general, and not specific or pertaining to this picture only, I feel that I don't really know what I am indeed trying to show. Most of the time its just instinct on what would be nice and what is interesting. Sometimes when i review my photos after a day's worth of shooting, I find somethings which are interesting(this photo is one of them).

I feel that this is the bigger issue at hand apart from this picture. I totally did not anticipate the background outside to be so striking until i viewed the photo on my computer. At best, this was unintentional, and the worst case, I was just myopic. I have to agree with night86mare that this photo in retropect is quite cluttered and messy and I do agree with Kit that this piece is quite sloppy and not thought through.

I guess I did rush into taking this picture and did not realli spend a moment thinking about the what could have beens. Thanks for the comments guys, I feel that it did answer a question that I have always been asking myself - what is lacking and how to improve in general.

oops... sorry... its the metropolitan museum of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.