The Eight Legged..

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaper3075

Jul 13, 2007
Jurong West
emuted.multiply.com
Hi, very new here. And very new in photography too. Hope to get some constructive critiques. Currently using a Panasonic Lumix DMX-FZ8 and still learning the ropes. :)

here's a picture of a spider i took at Labrador park.

the web was in the middle of some bushes, and i was unable to get a good angle where i could get a good shot of the spider from its top. Instead, i got it from its side. but after reviewing it, it seemed a pretty good angle.

In my view, this angle shows how delicate the spider is, how its thin legs are able to stick so strongly on its web.

settings used: in AP mode, F3.3, 1/10, ISO 100, tripod, 2sec timer. cant recall the exposure value.

I think the spider is abit out of focus.. probably because of the wind which kept the web swaying. and probably because of wrong settings? camera limitations? do comment.

here goes:
spidey.jpg

spidey.jpg

i'd prefer doing this type of composition instead. althou you have seen your spider in your original view, does not mean you can't change its orientation.

color abit washout, mine abit over, but overall you should get the idea, push it for a more vibrant effect.

focusing wise, try to use the smallest aperture for macro shots, cos most of the time if you shoot wide open, its a hit & miss issue, for newbies, try to get everything sharp, of course, you will need to shoot with flash and such.

recommended setting.

F8, iso 400-1600 depending on your camera. try to have at least 1/60 for sharp pictures if wind is a consideration
tripod (since most likely it will not be moving)

thanks for the reply.

yeah, after seeing the edited pic by urself, the colors seems much better.

will take note of that :)

btw, when u recommend the smallest aperture for macro shots, is F8 the smallest? i was using f3.3.. i'm abit confused here.. still lost with the numbers. pls enlighten me?

thanks and regards.

thanks for the reply.

yeah, after seeing the edited pic by urself, the colors seems much better.

will take note of that :)

btw, when u recommend the smallest aperture for macro shots, is F8 the smallest? i was using f3.3.. i'm abit confused here.. still lost with the numbers. pls enlighten me?

thanks and regards.

aperture, the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture... the smaller the number, the wider the aperture...

so f1.4 is wider than f2.8.

a prosumer camera, normally max out at f8... a dedicate macro lens on DSLR can go as small as f32...

aperture, the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture... the smaller the number, the wider the aperture...

so f1.4 is wider than f2.8.

a prosumer camera, normally max out at f8... a dedicate macro lens on DSLR can go as small as f32...

yeah, mine max out at f8. but at f8, is the depth of field smaller or bigger?

with reference to my spidey pic, if taken at f8, will everythin be more focused?

yeah, mine max out at f8. but at f8, is the depth of field smaller or bigger?

with reference to my spidey pic, if taken at f8, will everythin be more focused?

yup, more sharpness thru out.

sometimes, you have to trial & error. try to take a ruler, place it vertical before you, probably larger number further away, smaller number nearer, and you try to shoot at different angle, different distance, and see the sharpness on each aperture setting. then you will know what i am talking about.

yup, more sharpness thru out.

sometimes, you have to trial & error. try to take a ruler, place it vertical before you, probably larger number further away, smaller number nearer, and you try to shoot at different angle, different distance, and see the sharpness on each aperture setting. then you will know what i am talking about.

brother.. i thank you for taking the time to answer my queries. will try it out. hope to produce a better picture in future. :)

also hope for more comments from others here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.