The D3 and D3s

You won't look back at smaller cams once you handled with big boys like the single digit D series....

=D I handle D3/D3s/D4 for work! most of the time D3(s) for the past 4 years+. Each time i will have 2 on my shoulders, 1 mount with 70-200 and 1 mount with 24-70.

I'm proud to say i keep on look back! hahaha!

I have my personal D700 with grip initially. After awhile the D700's original grip just stay at home. =)

Having lighter weight and yet able to achieve similar image quality.

You will feel happy to climb a mountain with 2 x D700 than 2 x D3. (if you need a backup body)

Last edited:
First you want a D3/D3s, yet waiting for a D600, next you thought of getting a D700 but peeking at D7000. Since you are already prepared to spend over 3k and yearning for megapixels – Get a D800.

this one i agree! since D800 is ard 4.1k or lower. why not.

You won't look back at smaller cams once you handled with big boys like the single digit D series....

I'm looking back now! If the rumoured D600 comes out, i'll be the first to pre-order it :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, just out of curiousity whether D3 and D3s are still competent in nowadays? I am actually thinking of getting a used D3 in near future. What I am looking at is a FF camera, just want to know what you guys think of these 2 camera. The upgrade won't be so soon because the rumoured D600 might just appear so I am still doing research now but I need bros who have experience with these camera to give me some advice.

May i know how much you would like to pump up into D3s?

I'm looking black now! If the rumoured D600 comes out, i'll be the first to pre-order it :)

looks like i'm not the only one that look back~ hahas!

yes! i will preorder that too =D

I am looking for a FF camera and just saw used D3 for like around 3k so thought it's a pretty good deal and with the robust body but there comes the D600 which was rumoured. I just want to check whether the D3 is still competent enough to stay working for like 2-4 years? I usually do landcape +night shot probably going into portrait also but usually landscape and nightshot. As for moving to FF will be in the near future but I just want to check the copetency of the D3 because if the D600 really came out, the price would be high also.

Don't want to spend too much X.x

Now you see the price is slightly higher than D700 and consider to get this and after D600 more power than D3 then how ?
do you consider to sell it?

If you wanna play for longer like D3 & D700 in between the range i will prefer you consider the D700 for more common ppls can afford this, even sell in B&S still got many ppls to look at this.

Nobody can guaranty you buy now and after 3 months later you feel very heavy and boring to bring out from your house or dry cabinet and think to let go it.

Here comes the confusion for me, D700 i saw in BnS are usually range around 2500 and above, wouldnt it be better to top up a little and get a D3 with pro body and robust? are there so many different between D3 and D700? both have 12mp also and is it because of the metering system? or dynamic range?

How does these 2 compare to D7000 then? because I heard alot of good reviews from people about this camera.

The D7000 just like BMW 3 Series at 2.0CC and the D700 is 5 Series and D3 is 7 Series,
Even D7000 can be win the D700 in higher MP and New ISO Range and you think it is FX? not right still is a DX family.
For D700 is a entry level in pass time and now on, if you compare to D3 in term of handing and faster speed, longer batt life for overall still is the winner,
But i will prefer the D3 level is a 2nd body or play for fun only, due to the weight and huge size, maybe you wanna be reconsidering again.
IF get for business camera that's no comments.

MP issue? 12mp is plenty...for most shooters(hobbyists) who hardly print..any extra is a waste...and 12mp can print pretty big already...

on the other hand, you can add a grip to d700 to make it more "robust"....

Even for most professionals 12mp is also enough...

The D7000 just like BMW 3 Series at 2.0CC and the D700 is 5 Series and D3 is 7 Series,
Even D7000 can be win the D700 in higher MP and New ISO Range and you think it is FX? not right still is a DX family.
For D700 is a entry level in pass time and now on, if you compare to D3 in term of handing and faster speed, longer batt life for overall still is the winner,
But i will prefer the D3 level is a 2nd body or play for fun only, due to the weight and huge size, maybe you wanna be reconsidering again.
IF get for business camera that's no comments.

If you guys can describe the cameras as like rain5533 i can understand more easily xD. I will mark your word rain5533. TQ

D3 is a more robust camera. But no matter what it is quite an old camera because it has been replaced with the D3s for a while now. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very good camera and still very capable. The problem is for any single digit camera model, the parts are a lot more expensive when you need to replace them. From what I heard from friends, after several years, most of them develop problems with their AF module. So if you are buying a used one, please check it properly. And it is not cheap to replace. Shutter assembly for the D3 also cost more, so you might want to factor it in as well.

D700 on the other hand, is still selling new up to today. So the chance of getting a much better condition and newer 2nd hand piece is a lot easier than a D3. So in the end, you might end up getting more mileage from a used D700 than a D3.

As for ruggedness, I find D700 very tough as well. Both D3 and D700 are both pro level cameras aimed at different target segments. They both used the same sensor, and IQ is pretty much the same. Also do not discount the cost of accessories as well. D3's battery cost around 160-180 a piece. D700's battery cost $49 a piece. And D700 can fire CLS flashes remotely. For the D3, you will need a SU800 which will cost you quite a bit more...

Hi quelfala, your first step is to decide WHEN you wanna move into FX system (bodies n lenses). If yr timeline is say a year or longer, who knows what's available by then?

I shoot mostly travel, landscape n children portraits. I have been using D700 for over 4 yrs. Had D3 concurrently. Later replaced the D3 with a D3s; still kept the D700.

I find the IQ for both so so similar.

I normal travel w 2 bodies w lens mounted. D700 w AF-D 35/f2 for general n street shooting. I hv the AF-S 70-200/f2.8 mounted on the D3s so I am ready if I wish to zoom in to capture children shots from a distance. Good to note that the D700 w the AF-D 35/f2 is so handy. I sometimes use the D700 built-in flash just for filling in the shadows.

I carry a AF-D 20/f2.8 for the really wide landscape shots.

I m perfectly happy with this setup n I m likely to keep this combo for many years to come.

12+ mp on a FX sensor is good for almost all hobbyist needs unless you are shooting for really large prints.

Cheers,
Fred

I am using both D700 n D3s. The 12mp is enough for a print of 12x24 with 190% crop with setting at JPEG fine(L) from D700 with a 105 micro.

If I am going for photo shoot, I will normally bring 2 bodies, but for family holidays, just the 700 as it is lighter n I just make use of the build in flash for fill in.

Beside considering the bodies which one to get.... lenses are very important too. If you can afford and like zoom, nikon 24-70 and 70-200 will be a great match n serve most of your needs from landscape to portraits.

D700 + grip with AA or enel 4a and you are ready to go for sports. Although the af is not as fast as the D3s, but it's enough for sports n safaris. (Complete with fast lenses)

so i shot the d3x and d3s for 2+ years, currently sold both and use the d800e. to be honest. i miss my d3s the most.

12MP is *enough* for large prints. I know this sounds weird/non-intuitive, but having shot both cameras for the same scene and then sending the "wrong" sized "files" in for large printing... and not realizing that they were D3S files and then coming out looking mighty good. I think no worries.

for myself, it is less about the megapixel count, what count is flexibility under a variety of light conditions - from bright daylight outdoors to indoor scenes lighted up by a birthday cake. the d3s excels. Its AF is strong, the weight is great (its lighter than the d3), battery life is phenomenal, the 9 fps useful in a pinch if you happen to shoot sports/events. the low light ISO is easily 2 stops better than the D3 (cos my brother uses a D3/D700 and its easy to compare at home)

i actually regret selling mine. even though its nice to have a small 36MP camera in the house, with plenty of room for cropping, the D3S is easily one of the finest cameras Nikon has ever made. The new D4 is amazing too, but I think probably about just half to 1 stop better at high ISO, handling, and the rest, remain the same. And as a person who shoots a lot of ZF lenses on the side, 12MP is a lot more forgiving than 36.

also, on a side note, a lot of the nikon glass cannot keep up with the d800e sensor. its resolving power is immensely strong. it amplifies all lens and technique flaws with the greatest of ease. 12MP D3S is much much more forgiving with older and newer lenses. Take the 28/1.4 AF-D for example, the D800E completely outresolves it, showing all the spherical abberations at 100%

with the D3S, the image still looks sharp and happy! :) I would buy back my D3S today if I could, but will most likely trade out my 800e for a D4 in another 12-18 months time.

the d3s is a very good camera to begin with... all the bros keep praising about it so u can't go wrong with it

recap said:
also, on a side note, a lot of the nikon glass cannot keep up with the d800e sensor. its resolving power is immensely strong. it amplifies all lens and technique flaws with the greatest of ease. 12MP D3S is much much more forgiving with older and newer lenses. Take the 28/1.4 AF-D for example, the D800E completely outresolves it, showing all the spherical abberations at 100%

with the D3S, the image still looks sharp and happy! :) I would buy back my D3S today if I could, but will most likely trade out my 800e for a D4 in another 12-18 months time.

Oops sound sad, near your feedback on D series bodies just like playing toys.

Hey guys, just out of curiousity whether D3 and D3s are still competent in nowadays? I am actually thinking of getting a used D3 in near future. What I am looking at is a FF camera, just want to know what you guys think of these 2 camera. The upgrade won't be so soon because the rumoured D600 might just appear so I am still doing research now but I need bros who have experience with these camera to give me some advice.

Errr.... of course in fact the D3S Sensor is still better than the D4 at high ISO.... Case closed - the D3S is MORE than a competent camera... it was a game changer ( unlike the D4 ).

Also buy whats available, don't buy a rumour.

Errr.... of course in fact the D3S Sensor is still better than the D4 at high ISO.... Case closed - the D3S is MORE than a competent camera... it was a game changer ( unlike the D4 ).

Also buy whats available, don't buy a rumour.

So its a toss up between a new D600 or a D3S depending on how deep your pockets are but I personally will get the D600 for value for money, newer tech and i still get change to buy better lens to accompany the FX sensor. :cool:

The majority of hobbyist own gear way over their skill/need levels, even I myself.
So its now its not a comparison of how good the gear is.
Its a question of how good we are.