The Big Shot photography competition by MediaCorp

upon reading their clause, i have issues with the producers.

if you are indeed nurturing these aspiring photographers, then why are you taking away ALL their rights to the images?

They are not nurturing photographers...just need puppets to help keep the ratings up, otherwise the show won't last the next season.

They are not nurturing photographers...just need puppets to help keep the ratings up, otherwise the show won't last the next season.

this is a business not a charity ....of course they need participants/actors (who are the intended 'stars' and not puppets? I'm sure they will have off-camera talks and coaching sessions to make sure surviving participants are prepared for the challenges thrown at them and put out good results.... like Singapore Idol ?)

its a trade-off or 'price' of participation no ? Win or dont win, you get TV exposure on a TV programme while the producers get rights to the images shot during the course of the production contract period

...they make money, participants get TV time, audience gets entertained .... everyone happy (hopefully) .

Last edited:
interesting

will all participants get to use mediacorp's 1D Mark IV/D3S? or will they have to use own equipment?

keen to try (not for the prize but for the experience) but sadly i am out of sg during that period... :cry: and also cannot take long leave even if i am singapore.

2. You must be completely available for filming during the period of October 10-27, 2010 and be able to live away from home for the course of that stipulated period. You must also be subsequently available for additional filming and appearances, if required, for publicity, follow ups and all other purposes as deemed necessary by the Producers.

So need to take leaves for 17 days, from 10-27th of October 2010 !

As I am a serious hobbyist photographer, and still have a main job. It's almost impossible for me to participate.

:cry:

interesting

will all participants get to use mediacorp's 1D Mark IV/D3S? or will they have to use own equipment?

Nikon is the main sponsor if I'm not wrong. My guess is that contestants will be allowed to use their own equiptment, if not it will be Nikon cams.

keen to try (not for the prize but for the experience) but sadly i am out of sg during that period... :cry: and also cannot take long leave even if i am singapore.

2. You must be completely available for filming during the period of October 10-27, 2010 and be able to live away from home for the course of that stipulated period. You must also be subsequently available for additional filming and appearances, if required, for publicity, follow ups and all other purposes as deemed necessary by the Producers.

Rats... my baby should be 30 days old during that time...

And I think I will be rejected anyway, being too old, and too ugly..

So need to take leaves for 17 days, from 10-27th of October 2010 !

As I am a serious hobbyist photographer, and still have a main job. It's almost impossible for me to participate.

:cry:

Ya I agreed. Not many will have the luxury to have so many annual leave....some lucky ones have 20 or 21 days as maximum, while some only have 14 days...how to participate?

i'm a student

but yea.... having to commit so many days for the shoot is kinda a turn off

Just receive a call from Mediacorp saying that I am selected for the interview. Anyone else got the call?

Congratulation for your call. Hope that everything is going smoothly !
Just inform us who is the host or judge of the show ?
A professional photographer ?

:think:

Congrat! I got a call from them yesterday. When's your interview session? Mine is this wed afternoon.

Can I ask you: Did they say to meet at the mediacorp reception? Is there only one reception at mediacorp at caldecott? Anything to bring along? (sorry ah, cos I was out and cannot hear the caller well).

Congrat! I got a call from them yesterday. When's your interview session? Mine is this wed afternoon.

Can I ask you: Did they say to meet at the mediacorp reception? Is there only one reception at mediacorp at caldecott? Anything to bring along? (sorry ah, cos I was out and cannot hear the caller well).

Same here. I have no idea what to bring. LOL. Wanna go there together?

Geez. I got a call from them just now for an interview for tomorrow. I told them I could not make it coz I'll be in camp, and the person on the line just went :"Thank You, Bye!":(

erm just bring camera phone... and a whole of of confidence

Dear Flydance

there is only one main reception at Mediacorp.
The convenient way is to go to Bishan or Marymount Train Station and take a cab (save ur walk up the hill).

Just bring your IC

and IsenGrim is right... bring a cameraphone (make sure u charged ur handphone as well)

Best of luck to all the participants... 8)

tks all for your replies to my queries.i guess it went quite ok. but when i heard need to use phone camera, i was bit 'sian' cos i only got with me a lousy low resolution and old samsung phone. but hope my composition and creativity of the shoot is still ok ba. (hope :p)

by the way, I asked and they said need 2 weeks to get back to us if selected.

wish everyone of us all the best.

tks all for your replies to my queries.i guess it went quite ok. but when i heard need to use phone camera, i was bit 'sian' cos i only got with me a lousy low resolution and old samsung phone. but hope my composition and creativity of the shoot is still ok ba. (hope :p)

by the way, I asked and they said need 2 weeks to get back to us if selected.

wish everyone of us all the best.

Dear Flydance

I have a very old Nokia candybar phone with a 2mp camera. It drains battery life very fast and I am unable to render colors properly unless under strong daylight.

That is precisely the beauty of photography and any creative process.
You are always the decision maker based on the resources available.
You can choose to work on the strengths or focus on exploiting the weaknesses.
The more tools in your arsenal means greater ease but does not translate into better works. In fact the less you have to work with, the more you drill in to the possibilities.

regardless of outcome, hope you enjoyed your experience.

all the best

well said SebastianSong,
btw when I was there, I saw some guys shoot with Long white barrel "C" Lens lol eventhough they told us to shoot the flower with camera phone... :)

Dear Flydance

I have a very old Nokia candybar phone with a 2mp camera. It drains battery life very fast and I am unable to render colors properly unless under strong daylight.

That is precisely the beauty of photography and any creative process.
You are always the decision maker based on the resources available.
You can choose to work on the strengths or focus on exploiting the weaknesses.
The more tools in your arsenal means greater ease but does not translate into better works. In fact the less you have to work with, the more you drill in to the possibilities.

regardless of outcome, hope you enjoyed your experience.

all the best