the bad english thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JediForce4ever said:
huh....still got pepople using pager meh??..anw...when was this shot??

I think doctors still use pagers, I've seen them carrying pagers at some of the hospitals. Could be b'cos it doesn't interfere with their in-house medical equipment.

redstone said:
I wonder how come many people still think 'cooked food' is alright? :eek: :eek:

i wonder why u have such a strong reaction towards "cooked food".

red blood is not bad english-
impure blood is dark bluish/greenish red and hence the colour of the veins.
red blood is also used while talking of blood corpuscles.

cooked food might not be right english, but it is certainly not as redundant as watery water or clear transparent. cooked food is used to distinguish itself from pre-cooked food/ ready to eat food (like in army rations) and instant food. the term is also used while describing well cooked food.

kashi

Let's face it there is no Bad English leh.

There is only one type of English.

It is Singlish or Malaysian English which is endearing and understoodable.

"Good English" sounds bad lah. :bsmilie:

Sion said:

that would be the Queen's English but it never come across as sounding bad :)
let's not criticise Singlish. American English is different from Queen's english as well.
So what's makes a language tick? Follow your heart i say :)

Sion said:

so you wouldn't mind reading something like;

"Let feces it there bo Bad England lah.
There si onli one tip of Engald.
It Stinklish or Melazy England which si undoing and unstinkable.
"Good England" slouch bed leh...."

:bsmilie:

windmill said:
that would be the Queen's English but it never come across as sounding bad :)
let's not criticise Singlish. American English is different from Queen's english as well.
So what's makes a language tick? Follow your heart i say :)

English everywhere is slightly different. Nothing wrong with Singlish but there are areas where informal language maybe shouldn't be used.

redstone said:
Saying 'cooked food' is like saying 'watery water'.

'clear transparent'
'red blood'
'cold ice'

An absolute disgrace!!!!
"COOKED FOOD"!!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't face foreigners....

is it not true that there are also raw food ???

I think we have completely mixed up 2 issues here when we discuss the merits of Singlish.

It is absolutely ok with different accents and usage of words. English from Australia definately sounds different from Queens English, or what about a Canadian and a Texan? The vocabs are different too, the boot of a car in England is the trunk in the US, you queue up in Singapore but you line up in Canada. This is all ok, everyone can understand everyone to a great extend, because the vocabury comes from the same dictionary, and all use relatively standard sentence structures and rules.

Now come Singlish, the Singaporean accent is absolutely fine and understandable, but when it come to true Singlish, throw in the Malays and Hokkien words, using Chinese sentence structures, abbreviating anything in sight, it become it's own language. It's not English, and if it wants to pretend to be English, then it's very bad English. On it's own, it's a vibrant and colorful language, call Singlish.

redstone said:

'clear transparent'
'red blood'
'cold ice'

An absolute disgrace!!!!
"COOKED FOOD"!!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see anything wrong about the 'cooked food' ,in singapore where majority will only understand that. In business term, this are good english,:thumbsup: if put something pure and majority don't understand what is the purpose of advertising.

Why disgrace? You depend on foreigner to make a living? You facing them everyday?:sticktong

That's our style, singapore style, nothing to be disgrace. Be proud of our singlish, it's one of a kind.:lovegrin:

Whats wrong with cooked food? There's raw food too.

vince123123 said:
Whats wrong with cooked food? There's raw food too.

i agree. one of my university classmates from cameroon used to tell me that back home he used to pluck flying locusts from the air and eat them as a snack. :cool:

soma said:
That's our style, singapore style, nothing to be disgrace. Be proud of our singlish, it's one of a kind.:lovegrin:

yes, let's all be proud of singlish!

let's cancel all english classes in school!

let our students ace their english exams using singlish!

Deadpoet said:
I think we have completely mised up 2 issues here when we discuss the merits of Singlish.

It is absolutely ok with different accents and usage of words. English from Australia definately sounds different from Queens English, or what about a Canadian and a Texan? The vocabs are different too, the boot of a car in England is the trunk in the US, you queue up in Singapore but you line up in Canada. this is all ok, everyone can understand everyone to a great extend, because the vocab comes from the same dictionary, and all use relatively standard sentence structure and rules.

Now come Singlish, the Singaporean accent is absolutely fine and understandable, but when it come to true Singlish, throw in the Malays and Hokkien words, unsing Chinese sentence structures, abbreviating anything in sight, it become it's own language. It's not English, and if it wants to pretend to be English, then it's very bad English. On it's own, it's a vibrant and colorful language, call Singlish.

Nice post. I wasn't thinking of Singlish in its fullness.

redstone said:
'clear transparent'
'red blood'
'cold ice'
An absolute disgrace!!!!
"COOKED FOOD"!!!!
AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what's wrong with "Cooked Food"?? You are in Asia. Shashimi is food but its not cooked. Loh Yu Sheng is also raw.... Saying its cooked food in Asia tells those on the otherside of the world that this is food which is not raw..... Food does not imply that its cooked, esp so in Asia. Hmmm... with the exception of Steak Tartar.... hehehehe.... Consider "Home Cooked Food" also....

Cooked food is definitely not in the same league as watery water...

Hmmm... ice cold its ok. Hahahaha! So is red blood - esp when you consider not all blood is red in this world.

You should know your culture well... do not be disgraced. Hehehe... The English language is not without its flaws....
:)

There is COOKED food and UNCOOKED food.

Eg of COOKED food, pizza, rice, fried beehoon, pasta, etc.

Eg of UNCOOKED food, sashimi (raw sliced fish), fresh vegetables that was eat raw, raw beef, etc.

Food just means that thing(s) (or whatever "edible") human eats.

zaren said:
yes, let's all be proud of singlish!

let's cancel all english classes in school!

let our students ace their english exams using singlish!

ya lo. taiwan 'ah beng' now also very popular what, rite? And a lot of them are very happy when they were call 'Tai Ke'. (taiwan ah beng)

Singlish is in term of speaking not in term of using it in exam, education is international so follow international standard, singlish is for singaporean so we could speak as we like, you can't ask taiwan ppl to take english in hokkien rite?:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

soma said:
Singlish is in term of speaking not in term of using it in exam, education is international so follow international standard, singlish is for singaporean so we could speak as we like, you can't ask taiwan ppl to take english in hokkien rite?:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

correct!

so...for *written* english, good english should always be used.

Deadpoet said:
Now come Singlish, the Singaporean accent is absolutely fine and understandable, but when it come to true Singlish, throw in the Malays and Hokkien words, using Chinese sentence structures, abbreviating anything in sight, it become it's own language. It's not English, and if it wants to pretend to be English, then it's very bad English. On it's own, it's a vibrant and colorful language, call Singlish.

So... how do the French infiltrate the Queen's English with the lingerie, brassiere and camaraderie... or c'est la vie...

Then there is the Latin words in English.... ergo (made famous by the Architect in Matrix:)), a priori (which you would have encountered while in tertiary education), de facto, per capita, etc etc...

Then there is the Chinese words.... chop suey (Cantonese), kumquat, dimsum, typhoon (Dai Fung), tofu, and of course Kung Fu!

How bout a sprinkling of Malay words... satay, batik, sarong.....

The English colonised quite a lot of countries and also did trade with many powerful nations in the past. Of course, it encountered many diverse cultures, customs, items which the English language have no word for. Thus, these are adopted into the English language.

The black Ameraicans like to use "man", "bro"...
"What's happenin man!?"
"What's goin down bro??"
"You're busted man!"
But thanks to popular pop culture and the popularity of rap... we have come to know them in this part of the world....

So in Singapore and some of Asia we have "huh" - english but used differently, "lahs", "liao"
"What are you doing now huh?"
"You busted liao lah"

Status
Not open for further replies.