That Star by the Moon is unusually bright Tonight

spheredome

Jul 5, 2007
AMK
This is a 2.5sec shot of the cresent moon last night (11 Sept'10). What was unusual from the eye is that very bright star or planet above the moon. What is that planet or star?

IMG_7278.jpg

yes I noticed that aswell.. somehow is it a coincidence the islamic holiday of Ramadan and Hari Raya puasa has a significance with this occurrence?

This is a 2.5sec shot of the cresent moon last night (11 Sept'10). What was unusual from the eye is that very bright star or planet above the moon. What is that planet or star?

IMG_7278.jpg

What is your setting for this pic? I didnt manage to get the rest of the Moon..

I shot in raw and didn't expected the shadow end to become visible too with slow shutter. But I am not sure if shorter zoom will still yield this result as the crescent bright glow may cover the whole area.

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 2.5
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Metering Mode Spot Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 3200
Focal Length 500.0mm

What is your setting for this pic? I didnt manage to get the rest of the Moon..

DSC_0194.jpg

I just handheld the cam and shoot:

Shooting Mode : Manual
Tv : 1/30
Av : F6.3
Focal Length : 200mm
Metering mode :Center
ISO Speed :100
Exposure : 0

Did some cropping, adjustment,etc and sharpening as well

Last edited:

IMG_7278.jpg

Nice!!
Did you shoot with the filter on? Seems like there's some reflections due to that...

Nice Shots, it was pretty unusual to have seen this yesterday night . didn't manage to shoot it. Thks for sharing this :thumbsup:

Hi,
I took the Moon and Venus with a Mosque, but result wasn't so good as I was quite late already.

By the way, SingAstro will be having a Stargazing on 18 Sep 2010. If you are free on that night and had not seen the Moon up close and Jupiter (and Jupiter's Moon, Europa, having a transit on Jupiter), do come and join us.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760723

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

IMG_7278.jpg

beautiful shot...........!!!~~~ :heart:
love it.....!! :thumbsup:

made all my venus and moon shots using point and shoot like comic....!