Thailand Water Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovenikon

Feb 26, 2005
Dear All,

I'll be going up to Thailand for their annual water festival with a group of bikers (all scooters) in April.

Juz wondering the best way to take those pictures without getting the camera wet.

I have a D70 and Ixus 400. Think one of the way is to buy a marine pack for the Ixus (coz the one for D70 will be too expensive)

anyone any advise pls?? :)

not sure how to not get your cam wet .. but as far as i know .. if u're well dressed and carrying stuff that do not react well to water (like an expensive suit or laptop .. or in your case a d70) they won't throw water at ya =/ ... but if u wanna get pics in the midst of them throwing water ... best get a marine bag =/

do those plastic shield from a marine BAG distort the picture very badly?

thk you

Hi Ben! Get a telephoto zoom and find a good sniper's nest to capture the action... at a safe distance :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Expiredyoghurt said:
not sure how to not get your cam wet .. but as far as i know .. if u're well dressed and carrying stuff that do not react well to water (like an expensive suit or laptop .. or in your case a d70) they won't throw water at ya =/ ... but if u wanna get pics in the midst of them throwing water ... best get a marine bag =/
They will throw water on anyone. Destroy you camera, etc. They don't care. Most people get the hell out of Bangkok for that weekend. It ain't fun!

Beware that water thrown from passing pick-up trucks often comes from Bangkok canals. :eek: They fill up 55-gallon drums then drive around drenching pedestrians. You will a get a fungus skin rash that is nearly incurable........ hahaha.

Have fun with your :bsmilie: D70!

r52lanc said:
Beware that water thrown from passing pick-up trucks often comes from Bangkok canals.
thought those old-time canals are now better known as sewage outlets? so the water isn't that strange to us anymore ... we all know what is WC water. some of us in singapore even drink it on occasion.

i'm new here, at to start i really like this site :cool: .
i'm at Thailand, been through 3 years of the water festival thingy. for all the three years, i've opted for the cheapest, but proven effective, way to take pictures during the festival - plastic bags! now this may sound really cheap, but hey, it works for me. never got my nikon f65 doused with water :bsmilie: .
here's what i do:
first get a big plastic bag, one that can fit your head and right hand in. a thicker plastic is prefered. cut a small hole at the butt of the plastic - hole must be a bit smaller than the lens diameter, just enough so that the lens won't go through and not get the plastic edges in the frame. then use a UV filter to lock the plastic in place - the tough part, but possible. if you must use a duct tape to tape the sides, then use it, otherwise your camera is waterproof from the front, above, and below. the catch is, you've got to always watch your back :confused: - where you will SOMETIMES get hit from. if you want to (which i did twice but found it troublesome) get a smaller plastic bag to cover your camera first before putting on the outer plastic.
it's not a really efficient way to safeguard your camera, but it works well for me, like i said, i never got a single drop of water on my camera :bsmilie: . oh by the way, just make sure you have extra bags of silicon gel inyour camera bag to suck out the moisture (which MIGHT accumulate in the bag) later. i have sent in my camera to the camera shop for checks after the festival, and they said it's clean. so i've been happy with this method so far.
cheap, not-so-convenient way, camera only about 95% covered, but works well with mine. or you can always opt for the expensive way. suit yourself.

peace out!

btw, am looking forward to the water festival - or Songkran as they call it here - and am definitely using the same method again.

ok, thk u all for yr reply. i tink i'll settle for a 2nd hand marine pack if there's one. :) :)

So sorry for the late reply, I am surprise that nobody here have an idea of getting a good solution. Check out this website:

http://www.ewa-marine.de/

The best part is that they have a Singapore dealer, at Sophie Rd. Give them a call. :D

Hommie said:
So sorry for the late reply, I am surprise that nobody here have an idea of getting a good solution. Check out this website:

http://www.ewa-marine.de/

The best part is that they have a Singapore dealer, at Sophie Rd. Give them a call. :D

hey! thx. call them already. it'll cost around $400 for teh customised marine bag. much cheaper than the marine pack

ilovenikon said:
hey! thx. call them already. it'll cost around $400 for teh customised marine bag. much cheaper than the marine pack
dude, you can get the raincape what! If you are just going for the Water Festival, you have no need for airtight sealed marina bag. That is for underwater photography. Raincape will cost you alittle over a hundred if I am not wrong........ do check with them again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.