Tele and wide Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy C

Mar 5, 2005
I just got my tele (2x) and wide lenses (x0.45)

But there's a blur at the sides of the photos whenever I use them, it's fine without the lenses.

I was wondering, is this a sign of a poor quality lens? Or do they all blur at the sides to an extent?

Edit: Okay, reading a bit, I found out that this is called vigetting (which I didn't know :embrass: ).

I found that this is normal but good lenses don't have/limits this effect. And I have also heard that high contrast lens would limit this?

My second question is therefore is there any way of limiting this fairly cheaply? do any filters out there help? Or is the only way to get some expensive lenses?

Thank you for the feedback, I guess there isn't really anyway to "fix" it with equipment, I'm an amateur anyway, I guess if anything, it makes me less worried about dropping them etc.

Plus, I'm trying to capitalise on this blur...if that's possible lol.

capitalise on the blurness? don't think so...

i used to have this 0.45x OEM convertor lens to use with my oldie prosumer digicam and the corner blurness drove me nuts.

sold it away for a loss of course.... and got myself a quality olympus wcon-08... so much better in terms of sharpness and image quality... no loss in f-stop some more. much happier with how the images turn out.

Freddy C said:
I just got my tele (2x) and wide lenses (x0.45)

But there's a blur at the sides of the photos whenever I use them, it's fine without the lenses.

I was wondering, is this a sign of a poor quality lens? Or do they all blur at the sides to an extent?

I find it difficult to believe that "cheap" lenses vignet. I my be wrong. But there are other possible reasons.

Do you use a lens hood? Sometimes an improperly placed lens hood can cause vignetting.

thanks for the advice tao, but I still think that in some way I can overcome the annoyance of the blurness when shotting some subject, or delibrately add a blur round the edges etc.

Btw, does the olympus wcon-08 not blur at all round the edges? I read quite a lot and so far, just about every lens blurs a bit. Maybe the blur goes when the zoom is not too low. olympus wcon-08 is a x0.8 if I'm not wrong. But do you know of any lens that are x0.5 or less that doesn't blur a lot?

student, I wasn't using a hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.