[Tech] Surprise : EM-1 Uses a Panasonic Sensor, not a Sony Sensor !

Well. I agree that incorrect info shd be called out.

I for one, will be less likely to buy the em1 if it had a panny sensor. It matters to me not bec of the brand but bec the panny sensors in the m4/3 cams i have owned namely ep1, epl3, gf6 are really noisy. The sony sensor in the em5 and epl5 was amazing. Based on my experience, I would much prefer a Sony sensor to a panny one. I hv no engineering or technical background to understand all these sensor performance tech, but until I can see better IQ in a panny sensor compared to a Sony, I'm going to base my preferences on my experiences.

Well. I agree that incorrect info shd be called out.

I for one, will be less likely to buy the em1 if it had a panny sensor. It matters to me not bec of the brand but bec the panny sensors in the m4/3 cams i have owned namely ep1, epl3, gf6 are really noisy. The sony sensor in the em5 and epl5 was amazing. Based on my experience, I would much prefer a Sony sensor to a panny one. I hv no engineering or technical background to understand all these sensor performance tech, but until I can see better IQ in a panny sensor compared to a Sony, I'm going to base my preferences on my experiences.
The EM1 sensor is one generation ahead of the old one. So what's the beef?

The fact that most people couldn't tell the difference itself shows the sensor passed a blind test. Aside from the long exposure issue, which both EM5 and EM1 have anyway, I'm not seeing the problem beyond irrational reactions.

Last edited:
In hindsight, I probably should have combined all the photos in 1, regardless, I did the high ISO test with the previous king of high ISO, full frame camera no less. I think the photos speak for itself, Sony vs Pana sensor, Expeed vs Trupic.

ISO6400.jpg~original

ISO12800.jpg~original

ISO25600.jpg~original

At ISO 6400, it's a bit hard to see differences without pixel peeping, at 12,800, there's a little bit more of a clear difference on who is winning, at 25,600, it's clear cut which camera produces better pictures. IIRC, both are shot in manual with light meter, ooc jpeg, NR off. True that this 2 cameras are generations apart, but it shows how much the cameras have improved over time. And that's why time and time again, when friends ask what camera to buy, I always tell them that there is no bad cameras today, go try, you like, you buy, settled. Buy already, don't like? Too bad, don't complain [brand] is lousy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sony A900, Nikon D3, exact same sensor, worlds apart at high ISO.

The EM1 sensor is one generation ahead of the old one. So what's the beef?

The fact that most people couldn't tell the difference itself shows the sensor passed a blind test. Aside from the long exposure issue, which both EM5 and EM1 have anyway, I'm not seeing the problem beyond irrational reactions.

Already stated the reason in my post. It's a reputation thing. Some of you guys gotta stop flaming people for being influenced by reputation as if you yourself dun care about brand reputation. Also a lot of people do not have the time or the interest to conduct tests or research into the nitty gritty. Thats the reality. As such, reputation matters a lot to brands. That's the reality again. I do not hv the em1 and not planning to buy it so this is just a discussion to me.