[Tech] Surprise : EM-1 Uses a Panasonic Sensor, not a Sony Sensor !

Agrivar

Oct 25, 2010
Singapore
Not a surprise. Panasonic & Olympus are the two major brands supporting MFT.

Though Sony made for E-M5, Sony has their own Full Frame (Alpha 7) mirrorless digital cameras introduced after the E-M5.

There are many digital camera sensor manufacturers.

Last edited:
Not a surprise. Panasonic & Olympus are the two major brands supporting MFT.

Though Sony made for E-M5, Sony has their own Full Frame (Alpha 7) mirrorless digital cameras introduced after the E-M5.

There are many digital camera sensor manufacturers.

True.. its just that i guess its a surprise to many that thought since Oly went with a Sony Sensor in the EM-5, they would continue with Sony Sensors.. This shows that at the backend, the commercial partnerships are very convoluted. : )

The sensor market is ever changing , Leica also has it's M sensors produced by a 3rd party named CMOSIS located in Belgium. :)

That saying , I'm curious to know how similar this sensor may be as compared to the one in the upcoming GH4.

Saw this on a few sites.. That Chipworks.de did a strip down of the EM-1 and they discovered that the Sensor is made by Panasonic !

Here's a link to 43rumors.com
http://www.43rumors.com/surprise-olympus-e-m1-uses-a-panasonic-sensor/#comments

Here's the chipworks link
http://chipworks.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=OLY-E-M1_Pri-Camera

Interesting ...

Let's cue all the bitching/cries of heresy/sustained huffing and puffing/etc. :D

Aiyo , Bitching etc for what ???

It's common for a brand to do the design and have a 3rd party build it. Not as if sensors associated with a certain brand implies inferior quality.

All anyone needs is to have the camera work as one needs it to. That's the key.

Same thing as those people who'd skip a camera because it's just not made in Japan - I never understand them :)

Aiyo , Bitching etc for what ???

It's common for a brand to do the design and have a 3rd party build it. Not as if sensors associated with a certain brand implies inferior quality.

All anyone needs is to have the camera work as one needs it to. That's the key.

Same thing as those people who'd skip a camera because it's just not made in Japan - I never understand them :)

You will be surprised how much human hubris floats about on the Internet..

Reactions: keithwee
You will be surprised how much human hubris floats about on the Internet..

Haha bro , yes , I totally agree with u on this. Reading the comments on the links provided already gave me a 'wa Biang eh' feeling.

Oh dear! I was wanting to get the E-M10. But if its going to be a panasonic sensor and worse than the EM5 or EPL5 sensor, then its going to be a deal breaker for me. I tried the GF6 before and the noise and the colour is not to my liking.

Oh dear! I was wanting to get the E-M10. But if its going to be a panasonic sensor and worse than the EM5 or EPL5 sensor, then its going to be a deal breaker for me. I tried the GF6 before and the noise and the colour is not to my liking.

Hmm , no one knows that yet but EM10 is reported to come with the EM5 sensor and EM1 processor if that's a worry for you :)

Hmm , no one knows that yet but EM10 is reported to come with the EM5 sensor and EM1 processor if that's a worry for you :)

Thats a relief. Actually, I misread the thread. I thought it was talking about the E-M10. Im not in the market for E-M1, so its cool for me....now :)

Hey. Judge the camera by the camera and output. The sensor is just one part of the whole equation. Em1 / Em5 / Em10 all produce superb OOC shots! Its very unlike the older panny processors.

Maybe the em10 processor same as gm1

Hey. Judge the camera by the camera and output. The sensor is just one part of the whole equation. Em1 / Em5 / Em10 all produce superb OOC shots! Its very unlike the older panny processors.

How you know abt em10? Are samples out?

Robin Wong just did a 2 part review on the EM10.

2nd part of the review focused mainly on high ISO shots. May want to take a look at his blog when you got time?

Why people get so emotional over brand of sensor. What about brand of capacitor, resistor, screws....

Sensor has become a commodity. Doesn't matter who makes it, as long as it is a good sensor.

It has nothing to do with which cam company is better or worse. Sensor (semi-conductor) companies will produce sensor chips. Cam companies will test the specs and pick and choose what goes into their cameras. It is like choosing a part. No big deal.

Why people get so emotional over brand of sensor. What about brand of capacitor, resistor, screws.... Sensor has become a commodity. Doesn't matter who makes it, as long as it is a good sensor. It has nothing to do with which cam company is better or worse. Sensor (semi-conductor) companies will produce sensor chips. Cam companies will test the specs and pick and choose what goes into their cameras. It is like choosing a part. No big deal.
Same here. Just be contended with today technology and I strongly believe regardless of brand of sensor, your skills, experience and ability to capture something more powerful still play a massive part of photography!

Why people get so emotional over brand of sensor. What about brand of capacitor, resistor, screws.... Sensor has become a commodity. Doesn't matter who makes it, as long as it is a good sensor. It has nothing to do with which cam company is better or worse. Sensor (semi-conductor) companies will produce sensor chips. Cam companies will test the specs and pick and choose what goes into their cameras. It is like choosing a part. No big deal.

Yes , exactly.

Why people get so emotional over brand of sensor. What about brand of capacitor, resistor, screws....

Sensor has become a commodity. Doesn't matter who makes it, as long as it is a good sensor.

It has nothing to do with which cam company is better or worse. Sensor (semi-conductor) companies will produce sensor chips. Cam companies will test the specs and pick and choose what goes into their cameras. It is like choosing a part. No big deal.

Well.. if the sensor is as good as Sony sensor of coz it doesn't matter. But the fact is that photo taken with pana sensor is full of noise as compare to Sony sensor. For those who have both E-M5 and E-M1 you guys can run a test with it. For noise performance E-M1 really lose out to E-M5. One thing I don't understand, why Oly decide to use a lousier sensor for the flagship model.

Well.. if the sensor is as good as Sony sensor of coz it doesn't matter. But the fact is that photo taken with pana sensor is full of noise as compare to Sony sensor. For those who have both E-M5 and E-M1 you guys can run a test with it. For noise performance E-M1 really lose out to E-M5. One thing I don't understand, why Oly decide to use a lousier sensor for the flagship model.

Perhaps Sony was coming out with their A7 series and had no capacity to do the EM1?