TCW vs NSC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
surge said:
ok! ppl out there!!!

NIKON DONT SELL PARTS!!!

if you can get the parts,

1-its old discarded ones from spoilt camera/lens.

2- they are imported or sneak out from somewhere illegally, like drugs!

so stay clean, stay healthy!!! buy only from nikon and service only at NSC!!!
Wow.. took you so long to understand what I meant to put across for the past few posts? Thought you'd be able to pick it up right from my clarifications post in this thread :thumbsup:

Looks like you've just gotten smarter, way to go kiddo!!! :thumbsup:

espn said:
Ok, to clarify this.

Yes, it's true that CCD cleaning is not covered by warranty. However, Nikon Service Centre doesn't charge for CCD cleaning when it's still under warranty.

huh!? dun get it... the nsc send the email and told me it would cost $25 for ccd cleaning as the warranty does not cover CCD cleaning.

hmmmm so is it possible to have my ccd cleaned FOC b4 the warranty expires???

Geordie said:
huh!? dun get it... the nsc send the email and told me it would cost $25 for ccd cleaning as the warranty does not cover CCD cleaning.

hmmmm so is it possible to have my ccd cleaned FOC b4 the warranty expires???
Yes, it's complimentary cleaning, they do it complimentary, but it's not covered under warranty.

Hope I don't confuse you further, if you are, do feel free to PM me.

Btw, there's NUG tonight - http://forum.nikonuser.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=945 if you want to clarify this in person.

espn said:
Wow.. took you so long to understand what I meant to put across for the past few posts? Thought you'd be able to pick it up right from my clarifications post in this thread :thumbsup:

Looks like you've just gotten smarter, way to go kiddo!!!

:bsmilie: haha...if this satisfy you then way to go man... thanks for accepting my kindness so that you can save some face....

...so next time can sell me your cheap stuff liao ah? or are you still angry within?

anyway since we are talking espn...next time if i ever start a post please refrain from posting any of your comments there hor...not that you care la....but i am not comfortable w you la. btw me just joking about buying things from you

I actually do not see the point in this thread and the need to specially hilight that authorised service centres charges more than 3rd parties. Which everyone already know. I do not take any stand for going original or 3rd party.

Please, if anyone can, tell me that authorised service centres charges cheaper than 3rd party repair shops instead of something we all already know.

*Disclaimer: The follwing is general info and not pointing to TCW or NSC
It is a known fact and common practice that any faulty parts are now replaced by 'modules' and nobody (or very rarely) does component level repairs at service centres. This will cut down on the turn around time. Replacing modules will also mean that it's gonna be more expensive because you replace other working parts of the module as well, but to the service centres it doesn't really matter because 1.) the cost is passed to you, 2.) there is lesser chance of another component failing within the module. 3.) the service technician's job is simplified and doesn't require deep technical know-how to troubleshoot. (ie: no need high qualification)

So what happens to the defective modules? These replaced modules will then be sent back to manufacturers for examination for the cause of defect and they can build a database of what went wrong and improve on future models.

The faulty modules will then be repaired component level if possible and can be resold in the 2nd hand parts market to authorised distributors as 're-conditioned' replacement parts as another means of revenue.

For others, they just throw them away or be sold off directly as faulty modules. Up to the buyers to do whatever they want with it.

At the end of the day, going to authorised service centre or 3rd party like huggable said is individual ($900 vs $90) A ceased drive shaft sounds serious to me, but if anyone has more knowledge about it (which I think huggable does) he'll know that it's low probability for the driveshaft to cease just like that. For me, I'm lucky to have a little bit more of technical knowledge and know what is dangerous to replace my own and what needs special attention. So I can choose 3rd party or original and manage my finances better.

Yeah, end of the day, main thing is to know what/why you're paying for. Weigh the pros and cons yourself, and what you're getting, and what you're not getting.

Like the generalised saying goes, "good thing not cheap, cheap thing not good." :bsmilie:

huggable said:
The service centre told me there is no such thing as replacing the rubber boot, as dirt might have gotten into the CV joints and cause a driveshaft ceasure. No choice, paid the hefty amount and replaced the entire driveshaft.

"Ceasure" is the wrong word. The correct word is "seizure" from the word "seize". Basically it means that the moving part gets jammed and refuses to move. As for the driveshaft seizure, that is rather unlikely since it is operating at atmospheric temperatures and still has some lubricant on it. However seizures of the engine due to lubricant failure causing the piston to jam and connecting rods to break are common in hot-rodded or "zhenged" cars and motorcycles. Sorry to say but you got a half-explanation from authorized service centres whose standard practice is to replace parts in a modular fashion. For your situation, a visit to an unauthorized one is more appropriate since this is a personal vehicle and is also not meant for racing. If they were to explain everything to everyone, then they will have less business.

Personally I am convinced that many (not all) 3rd party repair guys are more skillful than the authorized ones since they got to do more with less, and also because these guys started off as zealous hobbyists. Those authorized repair guys got factory training but may not possess the "xiaoness" factor, which may mean they won't survive if they were to open their own repair shop elsewhere. Its basically a question of who got more skills, and who got better paper qualifications. The typical Singaporean mentality is to go for the scholar with straight As, and disregard those with a great pair of hands but less exam smart :) Words like paper scholars and paper generals spring to my mind. :dunno:

cool_sahara said:
"Ceasure" is the wrong word. The correct word is "seizure" from the word "seize". Basically it means that the moving part gets jammed and refuses to move. As for the driveshaft seizure, that is rather unlikely since it is operating at atmospheric temperatures and still has some lubricant on it. However seizures of the engine due to lubricant failure causing the piston to jam and connecting rods to break are common in hot-rodded or "zhenged" cars and motorcycles. Sorry to say but you got a half-explanation from authorized service centres whose standard practice is to replace parts in a modular fashion. For your situation, a visit to an unauthorized one is more appropriate since this is a personal vehicle and is also not meant for racing. If they were to explain everything to everyone, then they will have less business.
Sorry for OT, but as a former mechanic, let me throw in a few denarii worth...

I think the problem with dirt is not so much the joint seizing due to temperature but contamination of the lubricant...and sand and dirt in lubricant is the liquid equivalent of sand paper...:bigeyes:

theRBK said:
Sorry for OT, but as a former mechanic, let me throw in a few denarii worth...

I think the problem with dirt is not so much the joint seizing due to temperature but contamination of the lubricant...and sand and dirt in lubricant is the liquid equivalent of sand paper...:bigeyes:

Even with sand+dirt+grease in the CV joint, it will not seize/jammed stop. Unless you are driving around construction worksites or military exercise areas daily, the amount of sand on Singapore's roads won't be enough to wear out even naked CV joints to the point of catastrophic failure in years. $900 to be kiasu is not worth it unless you are earning peanuts every month ($600K per peanut).

was just the other day in a cab travelling beside road construction (Zion Rd)... over about a 150m stretch, you could hear gravel and sand hit the wheel well...imagine that in your joint...and the lubricant will just cause the sand and gravel to stick persistently on the joint and grind it...the official repairs people just want to be sure...:)

sorry for OT...:embrass:

theRBK said:
...the official repairs people just want to be sure...:)

sorry for OT...:embrass:

Are you sure :dunno: From what I've read from kukubird post, the thread starter, "official repairs people" seems more like unsure ...

kukubird said:
... At the first place the technician clean the contacts but I told them not the contact problems so the counter girl go back to the technician and a moment later I was told need to replace the whole hot shoe. .......

geoyip said:
Are you sure :dunno: From what I've read from kukubird post, the thread starter, "official repairs people" seems more like unsure ...
Who's the technician? The user/TS or the technicians at NSC? :dunno: Who will know better?

Many a times most of us tends to assume that we know everything, especially when it comes to "how to repair an electronic item".

And many that times, it's not as simple as it seems.

hear say is dangerous.

1st of all, have they even met or spoken to the ppl in the tech dept of Nikon?

ever worked as repair technician before? given a faulty equipment. Would you rather follow detailed and simple to follow step-by-step pictorial instructions to replace a module or 'go that extra mile' and replace a component to save money for the customer? This will probably get the technician fired instead.

If cleaning contacts doesn't work, of course change the whole hot shoe mount lor. You still want me to do diagnostics to find out with contact joint no good or trace faulty? Open the mount and blow out the faulty component and solder back again?

:sweat: I hope aviation company doesn't just replace 1 screw of a component...

espn said:
Many a times most of us tends to assume that we know everything, especially when it comes to "how to repair an electronic item".
seriously speaking it's really not that hard. ;p to me.:bsmilie:

yanyewkay said:
seriously speaking it's really not that hard. ;p to me.:bsmilie:
You really asking for a hammer from me, ya? :bsmilie:

espn said:
You really asking for a hammer from me, ya? :bsmilie:
;p peace! :D No hammers for today..keke.. today will be 'Hammer-free day'.

Status
Not open for further replies.