Tassie in Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgotha

Aug 20, 2004
Melbourne/Singapore
A couple of pics to share from my recent trip in Tasmania.

Covering 1280 square kilometres, Cradle Mountain National Park contains some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in Australia.

759205623_d54c09301e.jpg

41°41′4.72″S, 145°57′4.59″E

Rising to 1,545 metres above sea level Mount Cradle is one of the principal tourist sites in Tasmania

759376047_b46c3b707f.jpg

Walk along the lake and you will reach the boat shed. It's empty but u can hire a canoe n row around the lake however, it's not advisable during winter when it's cold.

Wonderful! Bring back fond memories!

Taken early in the morning?

Yup, very early in the morning. As i was setting up my tripod n camera, i noticed that there's frost on my lens hood............

wow.. so beautiful... so serene...

Can't believe that I didn't go to Tasmania while I was at Melbourne.. too late.. dun think i'll head down south anytime soon..

Gd to know that you are out and about after ur exams.. ;)

Back to the pics.. was there much editing done.. the background / sky looks kinda artificial.. I love the reflections though

Can't believe that I didn't go to Tasmania while I was at Melbourne.. too late.. dun think i'll head down south anytime soon..

Back to the pics.. was there much editing done.. the background / sky looks kinda artificial.. I love the reflections though

your holiday is too short for melbourne + tasmania. i've planned a tasmania trip more than a year ago, but never materialised it. i always have a thing for large islands. tasmania and hokkaido on my top list, if budget and time allows.

Anyone who wanna go tassie year end just let me know. I was there for 5 days n it's not enough, wished i can spend 3 days at cradle mountain for the 2 days hike to the summit.......

761428940_f31b0e56e5.jpg

Winter in an Tassie National Park is not always fun especially when it's raining and cold....................took this shot of the forest at around 4 pm but the sky is already dark. It does look errie in the forest at night, especially when it's wet and cold. Left my torch light at home, luckily I've got my mobile as a torch.....however, if you are lost.....the mobile is useless, I went without mobile coverage for the entire trip.......

Btw, this picture has been touched up

Didn't do much editing except for USM.......was there before the sunrise but it's too cold for me to handle, hence did a long exposure......hence it's bluish.......also cos it's raining n cloudy for the entire time i was there.........lighting was horrid. I did take another pic @ the same spot when the sun was up but wind came as well, hence the reflection is not nice.

liked the second pic.

Will be going to melbourne/tas in August. Hopefully no rainy weather. I like shooting in Winter though as the sunset is around 4-5pm. And you can catch the after glow pretty easily. In summer, the sunset is so late.

Will be spending like 6 nights in Tas and 3 nights in melbourne, 1night great ocean road and 3 nights in adelaide.

Looking forward to my trip. Dunno if I should get and ultra wide angle....

liked the second pic.

Will be going to melbourne/tas in August. Hopefully no rainy weather. I like shooting in Winter though as the sunset is around 4-5pm. And you can catch the after glow pretty easily. In summer, the sunset is so late.

Will be spending like 6 nights in Tas and 3 nights in melbourne, 1night great ocean road and 3 nights in adelaide.

Looking forward to my trip. Dunno if I should get and ultra wide angle....

Thanks, 1 night at GRO seems kinda short, i would stretch it longer esp since the day is short and you got to prioritize which attraction you wanna visit. Along GRO there are some waterfalls which I suggest to give it a miss.

Are you going end of august? If so Spring is just around the corner........

A couple of pics to share from my recent trip in Tasmania.

Covering 1280 square kilometres, Cradle Mountain National Park contains some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in Australia.

759205623_d54c09301e.jpg

41°41?4.72?S, 145°57?4.59?E

Rising to 1,545 metres above sea level Mount Cradle is one of the principal tourist sites in Tasmania

759376047_b46c3b707f.jpg

Walk along the lake and you will reach the boat shed. It's empty but u can hire a canoe n row around the lake however, it's not advisable during winter when it's cold.

Sorry to rain on your parade but is the purple sky done on purpose?

Thanks, 1 night at GRO seems kinda short, i would stretch it longer esp since the day is short and you got to prioritize which attraction you wanna visit. Along GRO there are some waterfalls which I suggest to give it a miss.

Are you going end of august? If so Spring is just around the corner........

going early august with my wife and her parents. They have family friend who is staying in Adelaide so I am just tagging along. no planning of itinery, no need to drive, or book hotel. I just bring my camera and shoot what comes along I guess.

Really praying for good weather though. I really hate a misty/foggy day....

4 seasons in a day here, so it's unpredictable hence u still can get good weather during winter. Just keep you cam with you always.....lots to shoot. :)

A short walk towards the summit, however was forced to turn back as we were not well equipped.

768396578_801c5b52b5.jpg

The sky is still as cloudy as ever.....will it ever be clear skies :dunno:

768396656_896aaf7674.jpg

Same spot as pic #1 but almost 2 hours later, the sky is brighter but the clouds are still there. Gone too is the mirror like reflection on the lake.

767601995_f9b8504e9b.jpg

going clockwise round the lake

767602025_6ca3ba3469.jpg

Up we go again...........clockwise up the mountain

i like #2. something i would buy, frame and place on my wall. =)

must visit tasmania since its rather close. better to go in the spring/summer?

oh. just checking. #1 and #2 seems to be taken from the same location just with/without the hut. was it psed or how did you do it? thanks.

i like #2. something i would buy, frame and place on my wall. =)

must visit tasmania since its rather close. better to go in the spring/summer?

oh. just checking. #1 and #2 seems to be taken from the same location just with/without the hut. was it psed or how did you do it? thanks.

Well, Spring is cooling, Summer is not that hot but according to the locals it's still too hot for them around 28 degrees avg.......but cos of the ozone layer, it burns.....I'm not sure if that's ture but that's what they told me.

#1 is taken at the start of the trail, the park rangers actually made a clearing so you can take photos, the 2nd pic is taken on the right hand side of the lake, there's an old boat shed, if you are there, just follow the signs along the trail.

Didn't do much editing except for USM.......was there before the sunrise but it's too cold for me to handle, hence did a long exposure......hence it's bluish.......

em. i dun quite understand the reason.

why a long exposure is required when it is too cold to handle?

and to my understanding, long exposure does not cause a bluish cast.

ok, maybe i didn't make myself clear. It was cold, i set up my cam on the tripod and shot with long exposure, since it was dark.(walked back to the car to hide haha). The pic was taken around 530am when it's still dark so tat' why the bluish color.

Status
Not open for further replies.