Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

When I was looking around for filters, one salesman was explaining about Brita. He said that Brita is a German brand. And Europeans will buy this brand because they are familiar with it, as compared to Hyflux.

But Brita costs more, FYI. I'm sure it has high quality as well, since its well known in EU.

From Brita FAQ:
"The Brita® Pitcher Filter Systems and the Brita® Faucet Filter are both excellent water filtration products offering different filtering techniques. The best product is the one that most meets your individual needs. Both products reduce the contaminants that most commonly concern consumers — lead and chlorine (taste and odor) — and both products deliver great-tasting Brita® water. The Brita® Pitcher Systems also reduce copper and mercury — which the Brita® Faucet Filter can't do. But unlike the pitcher, the Faucet Filter removes the microbes, Cryptosporidium and Giardia, and reduces the chemicals Atrazine, Lindane, Benzene, Trichloroethylene and Asbestos."

It appears that the water pitchers are not as comprehensive as the faucet type. Also the Instapure R8 filters the combine of the Brita pitcher and faucet.

But I have used the Brita water pitcher and find the filtered water to be sweeter and smoother than the Instapure faucet type. I think it probably has to do with the pitcher filter being constantly submerged in the water while the faucet is only one pass.

Last edited:
I spend about $500 for the whole set from my friend. Comes with booster pump, a tank, 5 stage filter and additional de-ionised filter cartridge.
Every 6 months, I'll spend another $30 for sediment, GAC & carbon block. I bought from a reefing shop, which is cheaper. Probably every 3-4 years, another $85 for the RO membrane cartridge.

I think this company, ultrapure.com.sg is selling similar setup as mine under sink filter.

It is probably more economical over long term to install such a system. My bloody tap filter already cost $135. Filter has to replace every 2 months. Each filter pair cost $75. Assuming I replace once every 3 months, I would have incur $435 in a year.

I use Hyflux filter pitcher, the water taste much better and no metallic taste