Taking off lens while camera still turned on

canon550d

Dec 4, 2011
I had carelessly left my camera still turned on and took off the lens to change. May I know what kind of damage that could happen to the body or the lens? :eek:

After I realised this, I tried shooting with 2 different lens, AF, IS still working fine. Picture still sharp. Camera function looks same as usual. Does this mean there was minimal damage?

People have said that it might affect the circuitry but I doubt it. For 4 years I have been doing that and nothing happens to any of my cameras.

I also does not turn off my camera and change the lens to and it does not have any damage or problem..

Supposedly not too healthy for your sensor... but won't kill or damage your camera in anyway. The stories goes that if the camera is still 'On' when you remove your lens... the 'charge' CMOS sensor will attach dust from the surrounding air. But nothing a good cleaning from a blower won't solve...

canon550d said:
I had carelessly left my camera still turned on and took off the lens to change. May I know what kind of damage that could happen to the body or the lens? :eek:

After I realised this, I tried shooting with 2 different lens, AF, IS still working fine. Picture still sharp. Camera function looks same as usual. Does this mean there was minimal damage?

I'm sure they designed the camera to do this.

It's suicidal if they don't as there'll be tons of warranty returns.

Your camera is not made of tofu. Believe it or not, there are actually intelligent people who design the cameras. If there was a risk of damage, they would make the camera auto-shutdown when you release the lens - common sense right?

Worry less, shoot more.

Well sometime I also forget to off my cam while changing lens, so far no problem also haha.

Don't worry too much, just shoot

I dun bother to switch off when i change len as i am a prome shooter. No problem at all in all these yrs ..

I dun bother to switch off when i change len as i am a prome shooter. No problem at all in all these yrs ..

What does shooting with primes have to do with it? Nothing.

Nothing will happen... I did that a couple of time on field and so far my camera is okay.

Just chill man. If your camera works fine, it is working fine!

Supposedly not too healthy for your sensor... but won't kill or damage your camera in anyway. The stories goes that if the camera is still 'On' when you remove your lens... the 'charge' CMOS sensor will attach dust from the surrounding air. But nothing a good cleaning from a blower won't solve...

Yup, that is the only story i've heard about not turning off the camera when switching lenses. Nothing much to worry about ;)

the 'charge' CMOS sensor will attach dust from the surrounding air. But nothing a good cleaning from a blower won't solve...

yeah, and dun do it in the wind direction cos any big hard particles flown pass then get suck in may not be good.

Thanks for the feedbacks. Much more relieved now.
I like your comment, Rashkae about the "tofu" :bsmilie:

Even the manual which is also used for US does not state anything about switching off camera before changing lenses. And if it's not necessary in the land of lawyers and million Dollars damage claims ...

I've actually forgotten to turn off my camera as well, when changing the lens. No problems here.

Since we are on this power-off issue, may be we can cover the removal and replacement of battery and storage media as well.

As power will be automatically turned off when battery compartment door or storage media compartment door is opened, what's your habit? Do you still off the power switch? :)

Since we are on this power-off issue, may be we can cover the removal and replacement of battery and storage media as well.

As power will be automatically turned off when battery compartment door or storage media compartment door is opened, what's your habit? Do you still off the power switch? :)

I do for both count... not sure will be be some issue... but switch off never the less...