taking grp photo - urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is.

1: (we dun know the shutter speed you have on your cam when you used the initial settings.)
Anything above shutter speed 1/250 will usually require high speed sync.

2: are you shooting to compensate for shillouette?

3: are you shooting to just make sure your subjects are lighted?

4: depending on how you position your subjects, is f4.5 sufficient depth?

5: if your flash is set at 1/1, is it because you are in M mode?

6: could you use a lightmeter to meter the amount of light needed?

....etc

alot of questions i guess. So maybe you could give us an example of your set up or show us the photo so we can better help you>?

I'm using Nikon D3x with D900 flash light and 2 speedlight (studio light), when the speedlight is set 1/1 and my aperture f11 or f9, 1/60s , ISO 100, the shots taken is dark like without flashlight (my flash and speedlight is working fine). It seem not logical but when I set the speedlight to 1/32, f4.5, 1/60s and ISO 100, it seem to be brighter. Butthis is not logical rite?

Please advice

Yo DM, TS set the SB900 at TTL mode to trigger studio flash, so when the studio flash fire at FULL power, seem like no light up from the studio flash, but when the studio flash set at 1/32 power, the overall result is better, (the two studio flash do gave some exposure to the scene)

My Baaad.

My mind remembered the later part where TS inaccurately referred to the studio flash/monoblocs as 'Speedlight' so I thought TS set the SB 900 speedlight to 1/1 and 1/32. I have no idea what a D900 flashlight is though. :(

Why like that leh? You are so experience, I do have explain to you what is happening right?

:complain: :mad2: :kok:

Anyway, I is ALWAYS learning from SIFU like you mah! :bsmilie:

Edit:

Sorry, I thinkl I state wrongly. When I set the Bowen to 1/32 it look dark on the people and their background (which is the glass window looks bright) but I set the Bowen to 1/1, with my camera setting 1/60s, F4.5 and ISO 100, then it will better and bright. Is that correct setting?

Err ... TS, exactly what did you set and what are the results? Don't describe, just show us the test photos and write down the exact settings you used for each shot.

Also please use this: http://www.diyphotography.net/lighting-diagrams

Annnnywaysszzz, I would have approached this differently - in two possible ways. LOLZ!

Last edited:
Thats why from the start already tell TS to show a diagram or photo of the set up and settings used. I strongly suggest TS to get someone who knows what he/she is doing to help on the ground.

1/1 is power output at full blast

1/32 is power output at one over thirty two, not 32 shots.

you are close, but not there yet.

what i meant is that at 1/32, the flash is only using 1/32 of its max power thus its capacitor should have enough juice to fire off another 1/32 power flash consecutively if need be.

so with 1/32 power, in theory the flash capacitor should be able to fire up to 32 times before it need to recharge.

thus in the TS case there was still more than enough juice in the capacitor to fire off the 2nd shot trigger by the main flash when he/she snap.

My Baaad.

My mind remembered the later part where TS inaccurately referred to the studio flash/monoblocs as 'Speedlight' so I thought TS set the SB 900 speedlight to 1/1 and 1/32. I have no idea what a D900 flashlight is though. :(

:complain: :mad2: :kok:

Anyway, I is ALWAYS learning from SIFU like you mah! :bsmilie:

Edit:

Err ... TS, exactly what did you set and what are the results? Don't describe, just show us the test photos and write down the exact settings you used for each shot.

Also please use this: http://www.diyphotography.net/lighting-diagrams

Annnnywaysszzz, I would have approached this differently - in two possible ways. LOLZ!
now, the story changes, everyone get confuse, not just only you.... :-s

Sorry, I thinkl I state wrongly. When I set the Bowen to 1/32 it look dark on the people and their background (which is the glass window looks bright) but I set the Bowen to 1/1, with my camera setting 1/60s, F4.5 and ISO 100, then it will better and bright. Is that correct setting?

what i meant is that at 1/32, the flash is only using 1/32 of its max power thus its capacitor should have enough juice to fire off another 1/32 power flash consecutively if need be.

so with 1/32 power, in theory the flash capacitor should be able to fire up to 32 times before it need to recharge.

thus in the TS case there was still more than enough juice in the capacitor to fire off the 2nd shot trigger by the main flash when he/she snap.
yes, if it is @1/32, the flash able to fire continuously, so might still able to trigger by the SB900, when main flash fired.

Hi, I need help here. I suppose to take grp photo for ard 12 person. Inside a function room, there will be a event backdrop behind the row of people, but the sid eis a full glass which sunlight and shine in but there is a transparent curtain.

I'm using Nikon D3x with D900 flash light and 2 speedlight (studio light), when the speedlight is set 1/1 and my aperture f11 or f9, 1/60s , ISO 100, the shots taken is dark like without flashlight (my flash and speedlight is working fine). It seem not logical but when I set the speedlight to 1/32, f4.5, 1/60s and ISO 100, it seem to be brighter. Butthis is not logical rite?

Please advice

so which is the correct statement?, 1/32 looks bright or dark? 1/1 looks bright or dark?

and why are you looking for a correct setting by asking those people not at the scene?

the correct setting has to depend on the actual situation, size of group, equipment you use, the venue, the lighting condition, the effect you want.

So, as long it gives you the correct exposure, enough depth of field, truly represent the scene or the effect you want, acceptable by clients, are consider correct setting.

and finally, have your done similar set up before? didn't you tested the set up OK before ask the group to come forward?

TS, many have contributed to your thread.

Could you give us an update and show us the problem you were facing, please?

That way, many others can also learn from the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.