susilo lost....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aton said:
Well said! :thumbsup:

Sports is not just about winning and losing

Then explain why our government spent millions "buying" FT to play for us.

LimCB said:

they're TRYING to NURTURE a sporting singapore?

aren't other countries doing the same thing? i see many women table tennis players of chinese origin playing for european countries now.

dun be surprised if a yao ming becomes a dream team member one day.

:)

acroamatic said:
apologies for jumping to conclusions. well, hard to know what you meant when you said, "nothing to say"... could have meant lots of things! :dunno:

Don't worry about it bro. I understand your concern. Glad this is cleared up. Thanks for your reply.

in singapore, we have the best facilities and best equipments....of course we can take some nice pics.....oops....i mean win some nice medals.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: ;)

kiwi2 said:
Hee-hee.. Thanks.. I want to see our Singaporean bro or sis standing on the rostrum and hopefully hear Majulah Singapura being played. But then, I think that's like an elusive dream...

Heh I also this dream will come true ...will definitely stand and sing with them in the comfort of my home...though in the short term this may not materialise, I feel that we shld always work and persevere towards our dream! Totally agree with what Aton said about sports: "Sports is not just about winning and losing. Its pure hard work, dedication, self discipline and commitment."

Go go Team Singapore! :cheergal:

jonlou said:
they're TRYING to NURTURE a sporting singapore?

They are TRYING to NURTURE alot of things on Singapore..

Sport
Art
Music
Drama

But I think the best they achieve is...
1. Study for test, study for exam, study for a pcs of paper which will make u a Better MAN
2. Q for this, Q for that, whenever there is a Q, Q 1st then ask what is that for, dont be the last one.. ;)

therat said:
They are TRYING to NURTURE alot of things on Singapore..

Sport
Art
Music
Drama

But I think the best they achieve is...
1. Study for test, study for exam, study for a pcs of paper which will make u a Better MAN
2. Q for this, Q for that, whenever there is a Q, Q 1st then ask what is that for, dont be the last one.. ;)

hahahaha... :thumbsup:

lolx. frankly, Singapore nurture this nurture that. copy this copy that. people do american idol, they do singapore idol. which is quite crappy lar. people do amazing race, they do the jamie yeo that race show which ended within like 2 mths... now come out sports skool.

they can try lar. but i really dunnoe when all this trying will lead to some visible results lor. sometimes u really wonder whether u should be more encouraging wat the local talents ard are doing here or pour cold water lar... haiz.... :rolleyes:

jonlou said:
lolx. frankly, Singapore nurture this nurture that. copy this copy that. people do american idol, they do singapore idol. which is quite crappy lar. people do amazing race, they do the jamie yeo that race show which ended within like 2 mths... now come out sports skool.

they can try lar. but i really dunnoe when all this trying will lead to some visible results lor. sometimes u really wonder whether u should be more encouraging wat the local talents ard are doing here or pour cold water lar... haiz.... :rolleyes:

FYI, Singapore Idol is not copied, it's part of the AI franchise. Haven't you heard of M'sian Idol, UK Idol, Australian Idol, etc? And then they had World Idol.

I think as long as anyone puts in good effort in what they try, they should be encouraged. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a Sim Wong Hoo or Fandi Ahmad today.

if susilo had won, the gold, for instance, what does it mean by this "represent"ation of singapore?

that if a person trains within our country, using the equipment and methods, it is possible for the person to win a gold medal? and therefore our equipment and methods, and hopefully our people's genes (if the person originated from our gene pool) are of a gold-winning quality?

and this distinction is worth spending money to "nuture"?

Just an OT,
as a parent, will u encourage ur kids to do full time sportman or sportwoman.

For me, I will not, unless my son is very very di 'gifted' and my husband and I left alot of money for him.
So that he will not lack of 'bread' ;)

Aiyo drop this topic la..nvm he lost, i hope he try harder next time on other competitions.

yah that's good, let's sweep it under the carpet, what you don't see can't hurt you.

when asked what she gained from being sent to the olympics, one of our swimmers (maybe miss yeo?) gave a pretty lame reply, as if the air ticket and hotel and other expenses foot to bring her all the way there didn't really amount to any usefulness.

sport(s).

mercuryblue, i would suggest you look for some of my lecturers back from NIE, who would be able to enlighten your viewpoint of sports and society. do look for Dr Steven Tan, and Dr Nick Aplin. they will be able to help you open up your mind.

seriously, susilo hasn't lost. he managed to win the world #1, and come so far in the olympics. its not easy you know? i don't think any of us reading this forums will ever go so far on the international stage.

what is your definition of winning? getting the trophy? winning is more than that. =)

When France won World Cup in 1998 and Euro in 2000, a couple of players were not born in France, including a particular Patrick Vieira...

When Portugal reach the finals of Euro 2004, a particular player with the name of Deco was a brazilian a couple of months before the tournament.

The world is importing talent...singapore also, so no need to be alarmed.

LimCB said:

Susilo has already raised the profile of badminton in Sg and carved out several wins such as the Japan Open. Beating Lin Dan alone was worth our being proud of him

goering said:
Susilo has already raised the profile of badminton in Sg and carved out several wins such as the Japan Open. Beating Lin Dan alone was worth our being proud of him
Yea but what about our local guys? Without FT, what can the local guys do? I agree it's the lack of a sporting culture that is hindering our boys/gals outperforming internationally. When people like Susilo is gone and without more FT, we are back to square one if this culture remains.
Why do you need FT to raise the bar? Simply because we can't do it. Like when you can't shoot, you hire a pro to shoot for you so that you are aware of what good shots are. But then without going out there and do it yourself, you are as good as watching the pro.

Although this is a widespread trend and no natioin would care less about where their atheletes are from being already naturalised one way or the other, it is the attidude of our government and such "money can buy talent" mentality that will see winning as everything. I don't see much pride in these actions from the top.

The EPL for instance, has evolved into one where it's not about sports anymore, but money, power and influence.
I would strongly encourage our government to buy the whole brazillian soccer team for the next WC if that means not screwing up our 2010 plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.