Super Moon Weekend

Oh? Please do.. I shot in JPG though.. you want me to send it to you?

edited photo by increasing the "blacks" slider to 100. (i just used the low res file you uploaded)

2mysux5.jpg

Genecor, what is ur setting for the Moon pic?

Looks to me like ISO is set to high. The Sun makes the Moon acts as a giant reflector. Thus u do not need a High ISO to shoot it. Thats why it can be shoot handheld.

Yeah lupa the ISO was on Auto.. think was ISO 3200 on this one. What ISO should I have set it to? or set the Auto ISO to lower max range?

edited photo by increasing the "blacks" slider to 100. (i just used the low res file you uploaded)

2mysux5.jpg

thanks Hellfire.. didn't think to mess around with PP since its a Jpeg. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
nice shot all..

what i use was manual mode settings at 1/250, F8, Spot metering, AFs C, iso (100-200), Raw, white balance auto (can play with this to make the moon more blue if prefer), zoom to 300 aim n fire.

pp the raw file with 2 easy steps,

1. Clarity to MAX
2. Sharpen to 75%

after that i just crop it out.

this is another shot from last nite.

imgp9037.jpg

this is the same photo with white balance to tungsen to have a "Blue Moon"

nice to see everyone's 55-300 in action.

Last edited:
My humble contribution to the thread. 19th March 2011, 6.00AM. Cloudy morning. As the moon sets, the colour got more orangey.

moonset1.jpg

moonset2.jpg

wow nice moon u got..

all u need is someone on the roof to "Carry" it up.. =)

IMGP8281.JPG

Airconvent do you mean something alittle like this? I was walking along Beach Road last night when I saw this & was reminded about the "Supermoon".

Man, I need to improve my skills, couldn't achieve anywhere near as detailed as rx7ong's with my Kx+DAL 55-300 handheld.

IMGP8275.JPG

looks alittle "soft" :( how to improve besides using a tripod as I seem to also suffer from Shaky hand syndrome ;p

this is nice.. no offence to many who posted closeups on moon but i don't see the point. u can probably get that kinda of shot anytime. an environment shot fits the idea of supermoon best.

drumma said:
this is nice.. no offence to many who posted closeups on moon but i don't see the point. u can probably get that kinda of shot anytime. an environment shot fits the idea of supermoon best.

Well, for one you could afford to crop less if you don't have the correct equipment?

Thank you, thank you! I had too much coffee, which I don't usually drink, and I was still awake at 5am. So I took my camera and tripod and headed for the MSCP to wait for the moon-set.

K20D, DA*60-250, Slik tripod.

But a 55-300 would be just as good!

Last edited:
did u guys manage to see the big halo around the moon that night?

kopilove said:
did u guys manage to see the big halo around the moon that night?

Yes but it was too faint to be taken with a camera.

My humble contribution to the thread. 19th March 2011, 6.00AM. Cloudy morning. As the moon sets, the colour got more orangey.

moonset1.jpg

moonset2.jpg

These are great! At least you didn't stay up till 5am for nothing. :)

:bsmilie: Thanks! Actually, I was awake until 9am, downloading the photos, editing and posting them on facebook.

The point is in the details, each closeup if you observe have different degree of details of the moon's surface, the challenge here is in the equipment used and the technique employed bythe photographer in shooting something as specific as the moon with different results. An environment shot might end up as just a landscape or night photography.