Sunrays

manohardj

Aug 17, 2008
North
Hi All, looking forward to your C&C of my posting. Taken in India during my vacation.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Lighting and composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Learn to improve my lighting and contrast

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Early morning with bit of mist in the air

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I thought the light falling thru the tree was wonderful to capture

0194.jpg

This looks almost like a CG painting at first glance!

Regarding the composition, IMHO I think its pretty undramatic given the dramatic lighting conditions.

The bush on the bottom left is pretty distracting and the two trees that are sharp and contrasting from the back ground kinda sticks out as well. Gotta beware of unwanted details.

I do not know if you tried, but I would try lower angle shots to bring up the scale of things, try making things a little more dramatic.

AND most importantly, find a focus point, at the moment...I cannot really see a focus point.

Hope my comments helped you out!

Hi Jeffzhen,

thanks for looking at the picture, really appreciate your feedback.. It gives me a new perspective and improve the composition.

Cheers

I actually like the peaceful, serene sense it gives. :thumbsup:

Good Capture! We all get excited with light like this. It is however important to remind ourselves to look at what is it that is in the foreground. I have seen days with wonderful sky... but the foreground scene just doesn;t match up.

Hey... If you have a friend with you next time.. get him or her to walk through the woods. It should improve some feel to the picture. :-}

Cheers!

I feel it's a pretty good photo!

The feeling's like a scene from Jurassic Park and I'm peeking out over the foreground bushes.
The empty foreground gives a sense that at any moment, a Velociraptor's going jump out and bite you. :bsmilie:

This is a prime example where HDR application will totally kill the mood:think:

Sorry, I wasn't much help but I think you got a keeper there.

wow surreal !..... keep that mood.... get rid of a bit more of that foreground .... a little bit of foreground for reference is good ... but not too much if it does not add to the image

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Composition is ok to me...but if u cam make it brighter i think the sunrays will look more stand out cos this picture is about sunrays and what andrew ng said also a very good idea to make it better. Keep up the good work ^^

Last edited:
I like the way the rays of light were captured and the attractive way they stream across the picture. The coconut trees gives the picture an overall tropical feel. Good mood creation and conveyance.

I personally would like to see stronger contrast in the picture to accentuate the rays of light. Trying "burning" strongly a few tree trunks near the foreground and those in the background a lighter "burn" to give some depth. It would be great if a person can be somewhere in the picture but then again that's a matter of timing and luck.

Overall, I like the picture. Nice work! :thumbsup:

good mood, nice lighting.

as others have mentioned, those two very prominent trunks slashing across the entire frame are a letdown for this otherwise good picture. i'm not sure if cropping them out is the solution - perhaps pay more attention to detail the next time round and take note of such distracting elements.

if its me,

I would have

- Choose only one framing tree truck instead of two as they can be abit distracting, although if the framing truck is more to the right side would be more ideal.

- show more of the rays and less ground

- increase the contrast so that the rays are more drama and golden.

- i added abit of red tint to it to bring up the warm as well...

something like this.. hope u dont mind.

69347510.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks for your viewing the picture and for your valuable critiques to improve. Definitly I will keep the suggestions when I shoot next time.

I never realized the foreground and the tree trunks. I was just focussed on the sun light... your comments gave me lot thoughts to my mind and what should I look for better composition.

thanks again,

Regards,
manohardj