[SunChasersSG] - sunrise outing, Lwr Seletar, 10Jul

Nah bro.. picnic maps not meant for "makaning".. more of a cover in those muddy patches for us elites who intend to go damn low to get a shot..

Recently just changed uniform (NS), nw u reminded me what good i can use for my "old" no. 4s... swee.. :lovegrin:

I know :) Was replying to Ding's comment about sunrise breakfast with a view. I took it to imply that we bring some makan there to eat after shooting. Apologies if I assumed wrongly :embrass:

I know :) Was replying to Ding's comment about sunrise breakfast with a view. I took it to imply that we bring some makan there to eat after shooting. Apologies if I assumed wrongly :embrass:

Kev, based on our group title, that's the idea. We chase it to take pictures of it, and then take a moment and sit back, while enjoying tea/coffee and crumpets. Hehehehe. Provided no ants come uninvited!

No prob bro... actually we can do that sometime.. but if its me i will probabaly forgo all the nice food if the sunrise is good.. :lovegrin:

erm, saw this thread late. just wanna share a few shots that i've taken together with other pentaxians on the same day. shots were all taken from the new jetty.

my first time shooting sunrise, and definitely very new to landscape photography as well. all shots posted here are with very minimal PP. would appreciate all c&cs on how should i improve on my shots.

thanks in advance !

4779665242_2298149de5_z.jpg

4779664782_3fbd94bfe0_z.jpg

4782506300_74cc43ca4b_z.jpg

4779663592_71bfcbe7b9_z.jpg

4779029791_b56cddb3ef_z.jpg

erm, saw this thread late. just wanna share a few shots that i've taken together with other pentaxians on the same day. shots were all taken from the new jetty.

my first time shooting sunrise, and definitely very new to landscape photography as well. all shots posted here are with very minimal PP. would appreciate all c&cs on how should i improve on my shots.

thanks in advance !

Were you with the group of people we saw at Yishun Stadium carpark as we were heading off? About 10 fellas I reckon... maybe more.

Anyway onto the pictures.

1) I notice most have horizontal tilt problem. A lot of your horizons are slanting to the right.
2) All the photos lack a foreground element. Me and NNB arrived early for advance-party recce... we both concurred that the new jetty wasn't the ideal shooting location. Sorry to steal the good spot! :angel:
Probably from your location, a panorama-style shot would be better. I can't be sure as I'm just trying to imagine. The sky looks interesting, but when you frame the horizon just 15% from the bottom, the composition looks off somehow. The colours are nice though.

Were you with the group of people we saw at Yishun Stadium carpark as we were heading off? About 10 fellas I reckon... maybe more.

Anyway onto the pictures.

1) I notice most have horizontal tilt problem. A lot of your horizons are slanting to the right.
2) All the photos lack a foreground element. Me and NNB arrived early for advance-party recce... we both concurred that the new jetty wasn't the ideal shooting location. Sorry to steal the good spot! :angel:
Probably from your location, a panorama-style shot would be better. I can't be sure as I'm just trying to imagine. The sky looks interesting, but when you frame the horizon just 15% from the bottom, the composition looks off somehow. The colours are nice though.

Hi Astra,

First, of all, thanks for the comments ! Definitely well received, and worth every brain cell of mine to digest. Eh yup, we're the group that you saw in the carpark i guess? Just 3 of us, together with Brian who posted earlier in this thread.

Regarding the horizon tilt problem, i noticed it that morning, however i'm not sure if it's the park on the left that's causing this perspective issue, because when i try tilting it to the left, it seems to be causing more problems :dunno: But thanks for pointing out !

Hmmm sorry, i'm still very new to this. I'm not very sure about (what's) foreground element, will need to trouble you to share a few examples etc. How can i improve my shots further ! And no worries for "stealing" the good spot, some of the aunties we met there actually revealed to us that there's a better spot where you guys were :bsmilie:

As for Pano shots, i have totally 0 experience with them. So i'll leave them for later. Regards to composition and 15% from the bottom, how can i improve my composition for these shots further? I'll wanna try the next time i head down.

Sorry for asking so many questions, i'm new to this, and i really want to improve my shots. :bsmilie:

very nice colors - great shots - where is this place?

very nice colors - great shots - where is this place?

sorry... I don't like to spoonfeed.
The thread title is self-explanatory.
After that, some kind of online map service (eg. google maps) will point you to the correct location.

Hi Astra,

First, of all, thanks for the comments ! Definitely well received, and worth every brain cell of mine to digest. Eh yup, we're the group that you saw in the carpark i guess? Just 3 of us, together with Brian who posted earlier in this thread.

Regarding the horizon tilt problem, i noticed it that morning, however i'm not sure if it's the park on the left that's causing this perspective issue, because when i try tilting it to the left, it seems to be causing more problems :dunno: But thanks for pointing out !

Hmmm sorry, i'm still very new to this. I'm not very sure about (what's) foreground element, will need to trouble you to share a few examples etc. How can i improve my shots further ! And no worries for "stealing" the good spot, some of the aunties we met there actually revealed to us that there's a better spot where you guys were :bsmilie:

As for Pano shots, i have totally 0 experience with them. So i'll leave them for later. Regards to composition and 15% from the bottom, how can i improve my composition for these shots further? I'll wanna try the next time i head down.

Sorry for asking so many questions, i'm new to this, and i really want to improve my shots. :bsmilie:

ahh, then should be different group. That one had about 10 people at least.

If you see the pics that everyone has been posting in this thread, you'll notice just about every one of the shots makes use of the floating jetty as a foreground element. This gives the composition an 'anchor point', in my opinion.

I'm not sure how to advise you to improve your shots.
Rarely do people compose a photo with so much sky in relation to ground. Generally we follow the rule of thirds... if sky is more interesting, we have the horizon at the lower third (ie 30-40% from the bottom).

ahh, then should be different group. That one had about 10 people at least.

If you see the pics that everyone has been posting in this thread, you'll notice just about every one of the shots makes use of the floating jetty as a foreground element. This gives the composition an 'anchor point', in my opinion.

I'm not sure how to advise you to improve your shots.
Rarely do people compose a photo with so much sky in relation to ground. Generally we follow the rule of thirds... if sky is more interesting, we have the horizon at the lower third (ie 30-40% from the bottom).

Oh okay, because we happen to see a group of people heading to the carpark as well.

Hmmm okay, i can roughly figure out what's foreground element. Will keep a look out for this in future, thanks !

As for the composition, yes the rules of thirds, read about it and yup i know what you're talking about already. Once again, thanks alot for your comments, really appreciate it ! :thumbsup:

thanks in advance !

You've made a good start :)

Btw the tilted horizon can be fixed quite easily in post by tilting + cropping at the expense of a few pixels.

You've made a good start :)

Btw the tilted horizon can be fixed quite easily in post by tilting + cropping at the expense of a few pixels.

thaBuzzed, that's very encouraging, thanks ! :lovegrin:

Regarding the tilted horizon, i'll take note of it and try fixing it when i get home later. Thanks again for your pointers ! :thumbsup:

thaBuzzed, that's very encouraging, thanks ! :lovegrin:

Regarding the tilted horizon, i'll take note of it and try fixing it when i get home later. Thanks again for your pointers ! :thumbsup:
what PP software are you using?
If it's a very simple one, sometimes it doesn't allow you to rotate by a very small amount (eg. 0.5 degrees).