Suitable flash for F717?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fella

Dec 14, 2002
I've recently gotten myself an upgrade over the v3 - a F717.
Have basically gotten most of the accessories I needed for it.
The thing now is I feel that I need an external flash to complement my setup.
Problem is I've never taken any pics with flash with my ixus cameras before, so I know nuts about flash photography.
I've tried searching for past threads around for recommendations but to no avail.

From a friend, I was recommended the Mertz 44MZ2 with the Mertz SCA3602MZ adaptor.
I need some suggestions for other recommendations as well as the pros and cons of each.

Thank you very much.

One bad point about it is the inability to swivel horizontally. This limits the options when you use the camera in the portrait orientation as you could not bounce the flash off ceilings.

Also note that the AF assist and auto zoom of flash head would not be activated with the combination.

The older 32Z2 and 32MZ3 has the ability to swivel horizontally but are weaker in power compared to the 44MZ2.

Thank you!
I was taking the lack of swiveling for the 44 into consideration as well, may get the older flashes after all.

Any other recommendations and comments please?

The Metz 44MZ-2 with SCA3602 will only support the following features on the SONY F717 (those with the "tick")

a) Flash ready light in camera view finder
b) TTL flash control
b) Triggering control
c) Flash range indication
d) Automatic flash programs
e) Flash activation by the camera (wake up)

6 features max.

The 32Z-2 with the SCA3602 will support only the following features on the SONY F717 (those with the "tick")

a) Flash ready light in camera view finder
b) TTL flash control
c) Triggering control
d) Automatic flash programs

4 features max.

You can check by selecting the model of your camera (in this case, you have to select F707 as there are no 717 and the Model of the flash
http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/main_index_e.php3?link=4&sub=6&linkname=mecablitz

The 32Mz-3 support the exact same features as the 32Z-2, meaning "Power zoom reflector control" is not supported. So I feel the Motor zoom feature in the 32MZ-3 may be wasted on the F717 even with an SCA.

It is important to find out what your SONY will or will not support as the Metz flashes can do lots of things but the question is can your SONY support it?
If not, you are paying for more features but your camera can't use them.

The 54Mz-3 which costs a lot, supports 6 features exactly like the 44Mz-2, so buying a higher end flash may not increase the features supported.

It is up to the SCA3602. It can only do 6 features max.

So the 2 "extra" features supported by the 44Mz-2

a) Flash range indication

b) Flash activation by the camera (wake up)
(Actually I feel this feature is only very insignificant as you can manually turn the flash ON or OFF yourself.)

It is up to you to decide, Is it worth to buy a higher end and more expensive flash just for this 2 features more (other than a higher guide number)

Thank you very much!

S$340 w/o GST @ CP.
It's heavy...

Originally posted by mpenza
The new Olympus TCON17?

Is it really lighter and better?!

Was comtemplating between waiting for it and getting the 1758 before I finally gave in to temptation...

hi fella,

yes the tcon is pretty good... and cheaper too..
overall both are just as good, cept that the tcon is cheaper ;) or so it was the last time i was in japan..

anyway, a really really good flash would be the promaster 5500dx with the sony module (as discussed in the dpreview forums.), unfortunately, you would be hard-pressed to find one in singapore...

used the 32mz-3 with the f717 with good results on manual mode... haven't used the sca adapter with it so not too sure how it performs with ttl... but without the adapter, manual settings a bit troublesome.. ;)

Originally posted by mpenza
The new Olympus TCON17?

Is it out for sale in singapore already ? Where can I get it ? Since it is 55mm, does it mean I need to buy an adapter to connect it to F717 ? Since it is a smaller len, will the image be cropped leaving a black border around it ? Thanks !

Originally posted by majere2sg
Is it out for sale in singapore already ? Where can I get it ? Since it is 55mm, does it mean I need to buy an adapter to connect it to F717 ? Since it is a smaller len, will the image be cropped leaving a black border around it ? Thanks !

dunno whether it's out or not yet but you just need a 58-55mm step-down ring (~$6) to use it with the 717. As for vignetting, almost all teleconverters have vignetting. for the TCON-17 on the 717, vigneeting will be gone at higher zoom range.

Another point is that the threadsize does not mean much. e.g. the 52mm threaded Olympus C-210 has a much smaller rear element compared to the 49mm threaded Olympus A200.

No stocks in CP...
And AP quotes ridiculous prices...
MS no response...

So I'm getting a 2nd hand mz3 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.