Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL

wahgongzai

Dec 13, 2006
hi all, after some consideration I decided to dedicate a thread specially for this Vintage yet super fabulous camera flash.

The SUNPAK auto 120J PROFESSIONAL/TTL.
Before anyone contributed anything to this thread, please make sure it is related only to 120J. It can be sharing of tip/tricks, personal experience, works/photos achieved with 120J (together with other flash/device is also acceptable), light setup, QnA, reviews and etc.

So let me start to get the ball rolling :bsmilie:

Did a simple setup to do low key experimental shoot, the purpose is to try out a honey comb/grid spot set that I bought recently. Below is the setup
T01setup2.jpg

120J with PT-04 mounted on a boom, the base I am using a 60cm reflector (black) to make sure that no/very minimum light is reflected back.

Last edited:
dup120shot.jpg

The image was shot @ F16 1/160 ISO100, no adjusting of any color/contrast (beside resizing) to the image. What you see is straight from the CF card.

The image was shot with a Sony A100 with a Minolta 50mm F3.5 macro, it is shot under normal room light (fluorescent). Reason, I can't shoot pitch dark as I need some ambient/available light for me to focus properly. To kill the ambient I just shot at F16 (small hole) plus fast shutter speed. The 120J is set @ 1/8 power about 60-70cm above the object. Too bad my max sync speed is only 1/160. How I hope my A100 can have a max sync of 1/500 like the Nikon D70.

Last edited:
nice. i had a hard time trying to get the 120j locally.

gave up in the end.

lobang to get it would be nice. :)

hasselblad version of this

Hasselblad version is more rare than the Sunpak 120J :bigeyes:, you got this rear gem from US or Hong Kong?

From what I know both sets have the same internal components and 110W power output. But accordingly to old timer, he told me that hasselblad d40 have a different/unique flash body design. And it does not have flash power control? Informations/images about this flash is very limited on the net. Zekai possible can post/share with us more your Hasselblad (120J). Images of how it look like will be cool :thumbsup:

thanks for sharing Zekai

Last edited:
just to share on the features/specs for the 120J,

12001.jpg

Sunpak 120J Professional/TTL
Guide Number 150' (45.7 m) at 50mm position
Zoom Range No
Bounce Capability Yes
Swivel Capability Yes
Auto Settings Auto Distance Range 2.3-27' (0.7 to 8.2 m)
Auto F/Stops f/2.8, 5.6 & 11
Angle of Coverage 46° (50mm lens in 35mm format) 63° (35mm lens) in wideangle position (barebulb reflector can be removed for 360° coverage)
Flash Duration on Auto Distance 1/600th to 1/8000th second
Flash Duration on Manual Settings 1/600th to 1/6500th second
Recycle Time 13 Seconds (based on fresh batteries & full power)
Power Source Four 1.5-Volt "AA" alkaline, lithium, NiCd or NiMh batteries
Dimensions (W x H x D) 3.0 x 5.7 x 3.6" (76 x 145 x 91mm)
Weight 1.15 lb (522 g)
Recycle Time Shoe Mount = 1 Sec (Nicad), 3.5 Sec (Alkaline) 555 / 544 = 1.5 Sec (Nicad), 4 Sec (Alkaline) 622 = 2 Sec (Nicad), 5 Sec (Alkaline) (Pending On Shooting Mode, And Distance To Subject)
Number Of Flashes Shoe Mount = 350 (Nicad), 300 (Alkaline) 555 / 544 = 220 (Nicad), 400 (Alkaline) 622 = 150 (Nicad), 250 (Alkaline)
Dimensions 6.5 X 4.1 X 1.5" (Hxwxd)
Weight 12.3 Oz.

PROs (my personal opinion)
115Ws (Guide no 150)
Barebulb design (its just like a mini strobe, and you can achieved very cool effects like 1, 2 and 3 just click the numbers to check out.)
Light weight and more portable if compare to other similar bare bulb flash.
Able to use grid spot/honey comb
If used together with a softbox, the light can spread more even
Fast recycling time with battery pack (1.5-4 sec full power depend on the type of battery used)

Cons (my personal opinion)
No more in production, thus very hard/impossible to find the accessories locally
Can't TTL with DSLR, have to shoot in full manual. However TTL is possible with film AF SLR if you buy the dedicated hot shoe module.
Power Hungry, it can deplete a set of fresh batteries very fast if you are shooting @ full blast.
Long recycling time, all my 120J if shooting @ Full power with Energizer (fresh/new) is about 7.5-10 secs. After 25-30 full blast than the recycle time will start to drag 1-2 sec more. For NIMH 2500MHa, is about 5-8 sec. Not sure why the specs above stated 13 secs?:sweat:

Last edited:
Many years back, I got my 120J at Cathay Photo after i wrote to Sunpak Japan. They gave me a contact in Cathay Photo and I just had to approached that particular sales person for the special order. Had to pay full upfront though.

You guys might want to use this approach.

I have to agree that its impossible to find the flash locally in the shops.

Hi all decide to share something on TR-PAK II, its a battery pack which power quite a number of SUNPAK classic flashes.

120J is a great classic flash, but using just 4 AA batteries regardless of NIMH or ALKALINE. 120J can suck all the power juice dry at an alarming speed if you fired all the way @ FULL blast :sweat: I encounter this problem when I was call in to do a photo shoot on some machinery/work process. Alone without an assistant + the shoot was arrange last minute. I decide to carry light. I bought along 2x120J + 2x25W flashes + shoot thru/reflect umbrellas + one 60cm softbox + 2 light stands + light meter + flash/umbrella holders + triggers + DLSRw3 lenses... Before I left my house, I struggled with the idea of whether to bring my TR-PAK II (during that time, I own one) + 2 sets NIMH or just bring two sets of new energizer + 2 sets NIMH. I decided not to bring TR-PAK II cause of space and weight factor. I anticipated the shoot last about 1 hr 1/2 but in actual fact the shoot lasted about 3 hrs. Within 2 hrs the 120J have suck dry one set 2500mha NIMH and a set of fresh energizer alkaline. The other set of NIMH is in one of the 25W flash which add as fill. So for the next 1 hrs I have to conserve my last set of batteries, every trigger counts cannot fired anyhow, anymore..
AKmeow.gif
Anyway the experience was fun with a lot of sweat. Now back to TR-PAK II

Basically, TR-PAK II is not the first battery developed, before this. Sunpak have a 510V and 2x240V battery pack. The 2x240V is antique now and basically very very hard to find one. I will post this antique pack maybe some other time. From what I gathered and heard from a old timer. TR-PAK II have two versions, II and IIa. Below is the different pros and cons (my personal opinion) between this two.

SUNPAK TR-PAK II
II.jpg

Uses 6 "C" size batteries. The pro about II is of course the ability to use common "C" batteries which is available all over the world. II the recycle speed is not as fast as the IIa. However I like to stated that this is based on using ALKALINE. According to the manual. The recycle time for NIMH is 2 sec and alkaline is 5 secs @ Full blast. Currently I am using Alkaline to power the II, the recycle time on average is 3-3.5 secs??? Duration wise the II can give between 75-125 full blast before 120J suck it dry. I am now still saving up to buy the powerx C 5000mha and MAHA charger. So when I get my hands on the NIMH I will know whether the II recycle time is on par with IIa. My friend did suggest why not use the eneloop C adapter... I am still considering about this...

SUNPAK TR-PAK IIa
IIa.jpg

IIa uses a battery cell (CL-PAK IIa), you can still find this cell brand new selling in the states (and sadly only in the states also) @ US$65 exclude shipping. The pros about IIa is it recycle very fast @ 1.5 secs. And if the pack is fully charge it will most likely last you the whole day (100-150 full blast). On the other hand, IIa using a battery cluster will deteriorated over time and eventually need to be replaced. However the owner does have the choice of buying a brand new cell or to rebuilt it. The one that you saw above is a rebuild one, the previous owner had it rebuild in the states. In Singapore I think we can send it to the batteries shops @ Sim Lim tower. The other not so good thing about IIa is we have to refresh it every 2-3 weeks. If this is not done, most likely the battery will be gone before you know it.

Well this about it, if anyone have anything to share on TR-PAK II or IIa please do contribute :D

Continuous Fluorescent Light (Technical), Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Last edited:
Hi all, just got my new eneloop with C adapter few hours back. Decided to update it as promised. Originally my plan was to get a "C" POWERX 5000mha, but after consideration based on price + other factors. I decided to get eneloop batteries.

SPIINIMH.jpg

The batteries are fresh from the pack, I never charge the batteries and straight away use it. After testing I am surprise with the recycling time. The NIMH actually recycle faster than the cell pack :eek: below is the recycling time of each.

SUNPAK TR-PAK II with 6x2000mha eneloop with C adapter
FULL POWER --- 2 secs
1/2 POWER --- 1 sec
1/4 POWER --- 4 CB - 1.5 sec
1/8 POWER --- 5 CB - 1 sec
1/16 POWER --- 6 CB - 1 sec
CB= Continuous Flash Burst - Recycle time

SUNPAK TR-PAK IIa with CL-PAK II "rebuilt" cell pack
FULL POWER --- 2.5 secs
1/2 POWER --- 1.5 sec
1/4 POWER --- 4 CB - 1.5 sec
1/8 POWER --- 5 CB - 1.5 sec
1/16 POWER --- 6 CB - 1.5 sec
CB= Continuous Flash Burst - Recycle time

Please note that the above flash recycle time table is only for reference, recycle time may varies with different brand batteries, MHA?, cell pack, age + other factors. Eg: The cell pack used by IIa is a rebuilt one and it might be a old cell. So performance wise may be affected marginally.

PRO factors (personal opinion)
Cheaper, no need to buy a "C" battery charger
Lighter and save space as compared to a actual "C" NIMH

CON factors (personal opinion)
A bit hard to insert in as the AA batteries tends to slide out of the casing.
Only 2000mha so power wise a bit weak

Today going to share with you all something new, a beauty dish.

120JBDNHC.jpg

On the left the wall is lit by the beauty dish placed @ 1.8m, Camera setting F4 1/125 ISO100 120J at 1/2 power, on the right is the 120J fitted to the 40cm beauty dish.

120JBDWHC.jpg

On the left the wall is lit by the beauty dish placed @ 1.8m, Camera setting F4 1/125 ISO100 120J at 1/2 power, on the right is the 120J fitted to the 40cm beauty dish with a honey-comb grid.

120JBDMD.jpg

On the left the "donut catch light" in the eye is lit by the beauty dish placed @ 70cm, Camera setting F2.8 1/125 ISO100 120J at 1/16 power. On the right is the beauty dish fitted with a metal white reflector dish.

120JBDPD.jpg

On the left the "circular catch light" in the eye is lit by the beauty dish placed @ 70cm, Camera setting F2.8 1/125 ISO100 120J at 1/16 power. On the right is the beauty dish fitted with a white translucent plastic diffuser dish.

I never used a light meter to measure, just shoot @ F2.8. The image is overexposed by a few stops
:sweat:.

Last edited:
hi all, last week did a test (FUN) shoot using the beauty dish. below is the setup

KHsetup01.jpg

Basically two 120J was been used, one behind the model and the other one is fixed onto the beauty dish

KH01b.jpg

Image shot @ F14 1/250sec ISO200

KHCL01b.jpg

"Donut" catch light + you can see my friend wee in the model's eye reflection :bsmilie:. To avoid this, do not stand infront of the light and try to wear all black. If possible try not to wear white/light color/reflective clothing during the shoot.

Continuous Fluorescent Light (Technical), Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

KH02.jpg

Image shot @ F14 1/250 ISO200, basically the setup is almost the same like the above. We just move the beauty dish a bit further away from the model about 1.3-1.4m.

During the shoot, I try out the time lapse function on my Minolta Dimage A2. Always wanted to do these.

120BD-trial-setup.gif

Me and my friend setting up the two beauty dish.

120BD-ts01.gif

Photo shoot in (FW) progress :bsmilie:

The test shoot we did, beside doing a high key. We also tried out a low key set up.

KLsetup01.jpg

I am not using a standard backdrop/background stands, its sort of a improvised backdrop. I am using 4 light stands. One piece of the black backdrop has been tied to the tip of the two light stands using rubber bands. Another black backdrop is hang over a boom and clamped using my wife's hair clip :bsmilie:.

KLsetup02.jpg

This setup is actually wee ideas. Since I don't owned a backdrop stands. He just sort of improvised with what I owned. Setup is quite simple using 2 x C clamp weight hooks fixed on each lightstand. Than he placed a B182 boom on it.

I will be updating more on the low key shoot, stay tuned ;)

wahgongzai

where did you get that beauty dish? it looks tailor made for the sunpak 120J.

Arnold

where did you get that beauty dish? it looks tailor made for the sunpak 120J.

Arnold

Yap, the beauty dish is custom mod (modified) from a "strobe beauty dish". :)

would you like to share how you modded it?

thanks