Strawberry Saturday

river811

Mar 26, 2011
7031640359_b8fcfcf17f_c.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
White Balance, Lighting, Composition.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
I'm trying to make the viewer see that a strawberry is not as plain as it seems. shooting close up to show how the skin is very complicated with dimples and even hair.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken at 4.30pm near my kitchen window. I didnt have a tripod. Flash was positioned 30-40cm away and bounced from the ceiling.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I know it can be improved, but i can't pinpoint where.
Also I am still in the midst of learn PP so I was not able to do any PP on it.

PS. This is my first post in critique section, I've read the guides already but please let me know if i violated any rules.

Last edited:
Newbie here too. Just my own thoughts; no offense meant.

Perhaps would be good to show a comparison/ contrast from the definition of plain;
having a comparison of a cross-sectioned strawberry compared with a whole that'll be sitting on top of a white dish would be good,
and perhaps you might want to think again about the photo title.

It does show a strawberry but Saturday isn't really much linked;
else, named because it was taken on a saturday.

Not a pro, but still learning...I offer my comments..

- For the title, labound have pointed it out...
- "shooting close up to show how the skin is very complicated with dimples and even hair", at this distance, it's not close enough...
- The flash seems to be abit harsh even from the ceiling bounce.... You may want to consider using reflectors to further soften the light. I normally use reflectors instead of ceiling bounce for these kind of shots. In a way, reflectors can be easier to control...
- The current frame is pretty messy in a way as in,
1) the leafs of the strawberry is drawing most of my attention to, instead of the dimples.
2) there are some distracting colors at the edge of the frame (I refer to the bottom left side especially) where the "whitish" contrast is abit outstanding, which also draws my eye to it.

So, for composition, I will suggest a tighter crop of this picture.. PP wise, no comments, I'm not very good at PP either..

thank you. i see what you guys mean now. :)