storing new rolls of flim in a freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpower

Feb 1, 2004
Jurong West
hi, after taking out from the freezer to use the film, will the heat outside cause condensation in the film? cos its cold inside and warm outside. Pls advice.. thanx... :)

nickpower said:
hi, after taking out from the freezer to use the film, will the heat outside cause condensation in the film? cos its cold inside and warm outside. Pls advice.. thanx... :)

no no no... you dont store film in freezer. you store them in the vegetable compartment.

nickpower said:

Yup, definitely will have s condensation. So take the film out of the fridge in advance before using. And there is no need to store in the freezer. The fridge main compartment is good enough.

nickpower said:

Firstly, only store professional films in the fridge. Consumer films have matured, there is no need to store them in the fridge because it makes no difference.

Secondly, you will need to remove them well in advance before use to allow for it to be brought to room temperature and avoiding condensation.

reachme2003 said:
Firstly, only store professional films in the fridge. Consumer films have matured, there is no need to store them in the fridge because it makes no difference.

Secondly, you will need to remove them well in advance before use to allow for it to be brought to room temperature and avoiding condensation.

Oic.. thanx....... guys

I noticed that the higher ISO films or the more sensitive the film is, the lower storage temperature is required.

Superia 1600 indicates a temp of <33 degrees, while Delta 3200 indicates <24 degrees..

Winston said:
I noticed that the higher ISO films or the more sensitive the film is, the lower storage temperature is required.

Superia 1600 indicates a temp of <33 degrees, while Delta 3200 indicates <24 degrees..

Not necessarily. It really depends on what kind of film it is. For example, it is recommended to store Press and Provia 15'C and below.

For consumer films, it does make a bit of sense to put it in a fridge to extend it's usable life (in a way push back its expiry date); basically to retard even more the chemical breakdown process and stuff. Of course, that is only when you buy film and store them for more than a year... :sweat:

Ah Pao said:
Not necessarily. It really depends on what kind of film it is. For example, it is recommended to store Press and Provia 15'C and below.

For consumer films, it does make a bit of sense to put it in a fridge to extend it's usable life (in a way push back its expiry date); basically to retard even more the chemical breakdown process and stuff. Of course, that is only when you buy film and store them for more than a year... :sweat:

Will it be the same if i store it in a drybox instead? Thank you.

Lister said:
Will it be the same if i store it in a drybox instead? Thank you.

no... the chemical emulsion will dry up faster in a dry box.. try not to store your film in the dry box

mervlam said:
no... the chemical emulsion will dry up faster in a dry box.. try not to store your film in the dry box

Then again a fridge has a lower humidity level than a drybox...isn't it? ;)
Just store according to manufacturer's instructions and nothing will go wrong. Modern film emulsions are pretty hardy.

Ah Pao said:
Then again a fridge has a lower humidity level than a drybox...isn't it? ;)
Just store according to manufacturer's instructions and nothing will go wrong. Modern film emulsions are pretty hardy.

I dunno :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.