[STOMP] Are these uncles true camera enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of these uncles are retirees, part/full time photographers, self-employed, unemployed, etc... and i have noticed that some of them are still using really old film cameras .... they are there not necessarily to chio those pretty dancers but somehow i suppose this is once in a year opportunity to have free shooting of young girls, and since most of them are quite free, they will usually be there a couple of hours before each show, to also get the best seats.

In between, they will talk a lot about their skills and some will show samples of their masterpieces, which are really not bad. They actually will try to sell you some old photos of theirs if one is interested.

Recently I noticed there are some "uncles" who came with handy video cams - I suppose they will tape the performances and then show off to their family or relatives about their ability. In one instance, I heard one of the guy will tape all the performances and actually burn them to sell.

I am sure all the young photographers will be there if these uncles did not chop good seats.

So all in all, I would say this is fair game for anyone since the organizers are allowing anyone to photograph or videotape the performances ... so let us mind our own business and don't call names .... :dunno:

But I would think that organizers should block off ALL shooters from the front and maybe only allow them maybe after the first 3 metres from the stage .... and allow those who are serious to watch to come in front. Let them have their ladders but only after the audience.:think:

IIRC, I saw a couple of them also giv prints to some performers. ;)

then again, I also notice more videos nowadays... looks like some of them progressed from TFP to selling VCDs :D

Agree it's a fair game... just dun block the audience... they have as much right to enjoy the show unobstructed and any photog (less officials).

Are these uncles true camera enthusiasts or are they in reality voyeurs at work in public ?

This was the question that popped up in Stomper Brad Tan's mind when he was at Vivo City on Sunday.

He doubt they are serious camera enthusiasts but are more voyeurs, because he notices that the uncle brigade would invariably turn up at events at malls when there were comely women on parade, like fashion shows.

He saw this same brigade of very "chee hong" looking brigade of uncles snapping away with their cameras at the China girl dancers performing at the Spring Festival show at the shopping mall.

What struck him was the behaviour and demeanour of the uncles. They were like hungry sharks at feeding time. There was a certain desperation in the way they crowded the front of the stage (as close as they could get). There might as well be saliva dropping down from the mouths of those voyeuristic uncles.

When the beautiful and sexy dancing girls finished their dance act, they were replaced by another group of ordinary looking women performers playing the violin and Chinese musical instruments. The uncles immediately put down their cameras. These musicians were apparently not sexy enough for the uncles.

Brad is not condemning the uncles (to each his own), but he's rather amused at the rather unsavoury pastimes of Singapore's elderly. And maybe also saddened by it. Can't they do something less sleazy and more useful during the weekends?

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=51125
Just a thought.....some of the photographers there are also women, would they be considered perverts as well or something else/

One of these days I'll post my "foreigner's" opinion of Singapore, should be interesting :p

haha, i am not surprised if these uncles come to club snap to join shoots to shoot xmm as well.

Sion's xmm shots were classic man.

I always feel stompers should get a life instead of bitchin bout other people's interest and lives.

sin-007.jpg

not restricted to uncle only :bsmilie: remove or replace Race Queen with Race King see still got pple not :bsmilie:

haha, i am not surprised if these uncles come to club snap to join shoots to shoot xmm as well.

these uncles heed the call to spend in tough times? :dunno:

XMM dominate industry oso need a push-up! :sweatsm:

saw a few ladder gang.....

but we seldom see Uncles posts their shots here...lack of info?

Uncles smarter. Dont post here so that sammyboy cannot leach their photos. Brad Tan could be one of the Leacher so he "Buay song" the uncles get all the best seat to shoot and he cannot leach their photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.