Still advisable to buy D90???

When u really ' advanced ' your photography skill ...... u will go for low end camera instead .. Cos u know It can produce any pic u have on mind without blowing ur pocket and tiring ur neck.

Unless u mean, advanced in term of knowing how to the camera instead of taking better photo ..

Pros can produce the pics even in the lower end cameras. The reason they like the higher end ones is that it lets them do it easier and faster.
Unless they strongly believe in "adversity builds character".

Some pros are still shooting with D70 and D80...

fmeeran said:
Pros can produce the pics even in the lower end cameras. The reason they like the higher end ones is that it lets them do it easier and faster.
Unless they strongly believe in "adversity builds character".

Thats what i mean ..

Don't mind me asking,

so if btw a D90 & D5100, which would be more advisable?

I only use it as casual photography. Like take pics of friend's baby, holidays kinda thing.

If your usage is that casual, i would recommend D3100....

If among these 2, it will depend what you need. If u need the swivel screen for composition and need 30fps Full HD video, then it's D5100. If you want to spend money on cheaper screw-in AF lens, need a bigger body for comfortable grip, and a handful of semi-pro features, get the D90.

does anyone feel limited by their camera's AF points? i used a D5000 and i feel that the AF points are inadequate.

Don't mind me asking,

so if btw a D90 & D5100, which would be more advisable?

I only use it as casual photography. Like take pics of friend's baby, holidays kinda thing.

I recommend D5100. smaller in size and good for casual gathering photos taking specially kit len is min 18mm, can shoot more friends in one shot and not to stand far away ...

does anyone feel limited by their camera's AF points? i used a D5000 and i feel that the AF points are inadequate.

Go for D7k, 39 Focus points

I might be a minority, but most of the time for day to day photography, I've only used the center AF point. AF-S, focus and recompose.

edit: and to answer the original question, the D90 is an awesome camera. I loved it when I used it and I would advise getting it. Obviously if you have the cash, go for a D7000, but by no means discount the D90. Also, for flickr's uploads, the most used camera is the D90. that should tell you a lot about the camera.

Last edited:

Use one AF point, focus and recompose, not too difficult to master.
When u use 39 af points, u'll tink the next upgrade of more af points is better and it'll be never ending vicious cycle.

true, true. 11 AF points abit mafan thou. after 1 yr still feel abit frustrated. sometimes just heck and put into auto af then focus wrongly. annoying cycle.

Haha, i using film, manual focus, split prism.. take ur time and practise ;) i am learning to get faster as well.

Back to digital, i use one centre af point, more comfortable, less pressing of buttons here and there. Less af points, less cluttered the viewfinder.

Go for D7k, 39 Focus points

currently on D5000 for 1 yr already. the focus points are quite limiting. 11 only.

:D I've set the D7k for 11 focus points as I hate having to mash the cursor(?)/wheel(?) too much to get to a focus point. Use recompose in lower light as I find the central focus point to be much better at getting focus.

thanks for the tip!

:D I've set the D7k for 11 focus points as I hate having to mash the cursor(?)/wheel(?) too much to get to a focus point. Use recompose in lower light as I find the central focus point to be much better at getting focus.

Definitely. Of the 39 AF points, only 9 are cross-type. the other 30 are not as accurate and fast.

true, true. 11 AF points abit mafan thou. after 1 yr still feel abit frustrated. sometimes just heck and put into auto af then focus wrongly. annoying cycle.

For the d5000 you have only one cross type. the other 10 are not, so I think you have some fustration with the focusing.

Hope this helps. I own both the d5000 and the d7000.

Definitely. Of the 39 AF points, only 9 are cross-type. the other 30 are not as accurate and fast.

For the d5000 you have only one cross type. the other 10 are not, so I think you have some fustration with the focusing.

Hope this helps. I own both the d5000 and the d7000.

If I did not remember wrongly, when you set ur D7000 to 11 focus point, only the center one is of cross-type. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I did not remember wrongly, when you set ur D7000 to 11 focus point, only the center one is of cross-type. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right. The central 9 are cross type. 8 of those are left out in 11 point af.

If I use center point to focus, press n hold shutter half way n recompose, my focus will run away also, how to fix the focus at initial position?