= Stefan's Weekly Singapore City/Landscapes II =

Ohh nice. Love the foliage as part of the foreground. Which part of punggol might you be referring to?

It's been over a month since I've been here. Sorry to keep everyone waiting. I took a break from photography to pursue other interests. I did actually shoot on certain occasions in December but just didn't process the images.

Here's one from Toa Payoh:

15570727193_edecebdb14_h.jpg

Toa Payoh Fantasy II

3 Image HDR/DRI, 11x3 33 image Multirow Panorama. Toa Payoh, Singapore.

Initially, I wanted to crop just the distant sky but I've decided include as much as I can since I've taken the time to capture the entire scene. Hence it took me a while to process this 200 degree panorama and achieve very little or no distortion as possible.

Seeing the cloudy sky, I thought it was going to be a sucky sunrise and an impending rain. Thank goodness there was an unexpected intense glow of light that lasted for nearly 15 minutes, coupled with dark clouds above me literally lighting up the whole of Toa Payoh.

040115 UPDATE: Reduced center saturation + minor pano mismatch fix.

050115 UPDATE: Reduced overall colour temperature - It was a little bit too warm if you ask me.

110115 UPDATE: Increased overall blacks for foreground - It appears way too flat on some LED monitors.

Last edited:
Last one from Toa Payoh, I swear.

16248425151_7d732eedc3_h.jpg

Toa Payoh Viewpoint

3 Image HDR/DRI, 178° 7x3 21 Image Multirow Panorama. Toa Payoh, Singapore.

Last one from the Toa Payoh shot on the same day as the previous. Saw the sun rising and decided to move to the next stairwell to take the shot before it disappear into the clouds.

Took me a while to process it. I just wanted every part of the image to have no distortion, also partly because I was bored processing something so stale and boring to look at. Not even sure why I uploaded it, just something to fill the my flickr gallery perhaps.

110115 UPDATE: Fixed pano mismatch in sky + slight increase in sharpening.

Last edited:
I've always loved these HDB shots of yours, there's something special about the mood you create. Good job!!

I've always loved these HDB shots of yours, there's something special about the mood you create. Good job!!

Thanks!

16102621578_6347755e07_b.jpg

Southern Dawn

3 Image HDR/DRI, using GND 0.9 soft, 3 Image Vertorama to include sky and foreground elements. Marina South, Singapore.

Ventured far to the south and walked a kilometre to witness this beautiful place; oh how I love my solitary life. Simple shot though.

Moreover, this was shot with the all new Sigma 18-35 f1.8 I bought for filming/video purposes. I must say it is an amazingly sharp lens... Not even sure I'm hallucinating but the dynamic range apparently is way much improved over the 10-22 I've been using for all my shots. (As you know, dynamic range for the EOS 7D is... below average in comparison)

160115 UPDATE: Colour balance fix - Added a slight tinge of green. (Looks balanced now)

Last edited:

16221171569_690b1b0dc5_b.jpg

Contentment

3 Image HDR/DRI, 2x2 4 image Multi-row panorama to relief bottom spatial proportion using GND 0.6 soft. Punggol, Singapore.

I last stepped here back in 2005; it was a school trip I recalled. Didn't realise this place until I saw the sun direction and a little bit of exploration. It's good to see this place in person once again - after so long.

310115 UPDATE:
- Fixed Pano mismatch at bridge.
- Reduced image noise at extreme left bottom side.
- Increased luminosity of barrage's reflections. (Looks a lot more balanced now)
- Reduced edge glow at barrage caused by bad masking (my fault for lack of thorough spot checking)
- Converted to sRGB

010215 UPDATE:
- Fixed Pano mismatch at foreground.

Last edited:
Extremely sceptical to post this on CS but, what the heck.

16138741430_aed93e1ee3_b.jpg

Fence, Crane & Boat: My Crappy HDR

3 Image HDR/DRI, handheld shot. Marina South, Singapore.

Wish I had a better lens that creates cool starburst effects like I did last time with the borrowed Sony A99 + 16-35.... Guess I have to work with what I got. I had a Sigma 18-35 but it wasn't wide enough to exaggerate the perspective of the fence framing my crappy subject.

I didn't want to upload this as it was an impromptu shot. Tried f3.5 but it just didn't work; not with that ugly bokeh... So I went ahead with f11 to achieve that mild bokeh effect on the fence, and threw the image aside on my hard drive. It was not until recently a friend wanted to see my entire HDR workflow.

Nah, this is just purely psychedelic crap. It isn't nicely processed in anyway.

may I know location for this block? thank you!

Thanks. Sorry I've been pretty busy lately...

10306743985_7af55551b6_b.jpg

Welcome To 2050

Single Image RAW, 2 image timelapsed for light show, 3 Image panorama. Toa Payoh, Singapore.

Went to one of the 40 storey blocks to collect my favourite 24-70mm lens. Of course, since a I had a lens capable up to 70mm + a 1.6x crop factor camera, why not have some fun with it? ;)

While shooting the lightshow, a plane at the distant horizon passed by the city skyline. You may have noticed a short but rather obvious streak that I wanted to clone out in Photoshop but somehow it didn't look quite the same without it. I guess I got accustomed to that streak, it became part of the image. That streak somehow, added sense of mystery and draws your attention to the skyline.

16625239405_b5b2b950d8_b.jpg

Red Skies Of Potong Pasir

5 Image HDR/DRI, 5x3 15 image 180° multi-row panorama. Potong Pasir, Singapore.

Took me a while to post-process, but the composition was the biggest issue here. Not even sure including the extra walls at the side really mattered, but somehow frames the centre more efficiently working with a rather stale looking scene.

It was also a deliberate decision to remove/clone out the crown of another tree located at the bottom; the tree's crown bothered me as it appears random and unnecessary to be part of the scene. Never do I resort the use of cloning techniques to remove an object this much, (I try to achieve truthfulness as much as possible) but this is one of those times I had no other choice but had to.

If I may say, this part of Potong Pasir appears run-down and unmaintained: paint walls are peeling off, hedges are growing uncontrollably near the highway - all these elements are just perfect for the camera.

250215 UPDATE:
- Added signature
- Fixed minor pano mismatch
- Straighten the buildings

Last edited:

16090814904_d09b7aa725_b.jpg

Last Light of River Vista

3 Image HDR/DRI, 5x2 10 Image 160° Multi-row Panorama. Boon Keng, Singapore.

Been here 3 times, and finally got it. I've been waiting to achieve this vision for the longest time. Thus waited nearly a year for the sun's right timing and position and achieved what I've envisioned: Shooting a sunset in-between structures.

The lens flare was intentional as I feel it's only natural to see flares when a lens is aimed toward a light point.

050315 UPDATE:
- Fixed minor pano distortion at bridge
- Brightened centre sky a little

Last edited:

16729935655_de17612cc1_b.jpg

Back To The Basics

3 Image HDR/DRI using GND 0.6 soft. Labrador Park, Singapore.

Wanted to use my ND 0.9 for smoother water effects but it got wet from an earlier attempt and my cleaning cloth got dirty - what luck do I have? The sky had a sudden hue of orange streaks; therefore I'd rather take the shot before it disappears.

You might wonder, why the strange title? Well, I've been doing large scaled architectural panos in all my recent photos and those really take a (dedicated) deal of time to fix and post-process. Single framed shots, long exposures of the seas are all that matter now; and I really, really missed the seas.

My future uploads will probably be based around this theme - back to the basics. Not that I do not have any more complicated panos to post-process but gotta do the basic stuff for now.

110315 UPDATE: Desaturated shadows by 30%.

Last edited:
Hi Stefan,

Its been a long while since I last dropped you a message. Would like to check with you which part of pasir ris park is this shot taken? I believe there was another person having the same enquiry on page 53. Appreciate if you can share the location, many thanks!

Just gotta keep a fine balance when doing it! :) Thanks man.

Gosh I wished I would've moved a little closer to rid that ugly pipe at the foreground... What was I thinking when I shot this.

14107142791_3db4c8cd08_b.jpg

Heaven On Earth

2 Image HDR/DRi using GND 0.6 hard + ND 0.9 for smoothed water effects. Pasir Ris Park, Singapore.

It has been a while since I stepped here. The sun was rising and the sunrays exploded. I gotta admit, it was a challenge to compose this scene, as the actual environment appears way much darker than this and the Cumulonimbus cloud created visual heaviness on the right. I overexposed it in hopes to lift away the illusion of visual heaviness and it seemed to work.

It was in fact, the actual visual narrative I had in mind when I stepped here and saw the sun rays - the feeling was heavenly. Hence it was essential that I should put my thoughts of this place in a photograph.

PS, was expecting the tide to be a tittle higher to cover those pipes at the foreground. Distracting if you'd ask me. Too bad, just gotta work with what I have in front of me... Would definitely come back here ASAP when the tide is just right.

16596199209_086f5039b4_b.jpg

Guardians Of Labrador II

2 Image HDR/DRI, 2 Image vertorama to include foreground elements using GND 0.6 soft + Haida 10 stop filter for smoothed water effects. Labrador Park, Singapore.

Did this before, but this time at the tide level I've always wanted. Did try various exposures but they just didn't work to achieving the vision I was looking for. At the risk of being repetitive but once again, high key exposures of Labrador was what I could think of.

I had some ideas to convert it to B&W/Grayscale but as weird as it sounds it didn't have that emotional feel I was looking for. Tinge of pale colours -not totally desaturated- seem more appealing to me especially the placement and cohesive position of these rocks in front of me should be... Respected? Not sure what's the right word to use.

3 times I visited here, all 3 tries failed because of bad tide levels. Finally got it right at 0.85m... I must admit, the stubbornness in me prevails whenever I have something in mind for my photos to achieve what I want, and do what it takes to achieve that vision.

110315 UPDATE:
- Adjusted hue and colour balance a little.
- Cleaned up some dust spots.

Last edited:

16172031974_c68b83ecf5_b.jpg

The Final Farewell

3 Image HDR/DRI, 2 Image vertorama to include foreground elements using GND 0.6 soft. Labrador Park, Singapore.

Of course like any photographer would do at the sea - play with waves. And if you're lucky, the sky will play with you.

I love coming back here again and again - Did that on purpose to challenge myself to come up with something refreshing each time.

130315 UPDATE:
- Cleaned up dust spots
- Slight saturation increase of blue tones in sky.

Last edited:

16188276653_94f0efc41f_b.jpg

Saved By Zero

2 Image HDR/DRI using GND 0.9 soft. Changi Beach CP6, Singapore.

Been exactly one year since I last stepped here. All thanks to friends who ventured this part of the area only to find out much has somewhat changed. As I said before, I miss going to the seas, going back to the basics of photography - away from crazy multi-row panoramas and all that s***. That's the theme I am going for right now and might materialise in my future uploads.

But that's not the only reason why I'm here even though I live so far away... Now, my life is somewhat complicated. I'm almost 27 and reaching critical adulthood years. I am always thinking about the future. However there are times I wish to restart my life all over again. Start from the basics, start from zero.

Here's a song that closely reflects my thoughts that I've been listening to all week... And, someday wish to play a guitar riff from it:

The Fixx - Saved By Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp3YQEYcEhU

200315 UPDATE:
- Brightened the skies & the sea a little.

Last edited:
Hi Stefan. Heard from the Ah Nei that the place will soon be completed. Once clear of obstacle, there are new POV to look at. Hope to catch up with you again.

^^ :thumbsup:

16220696473_930a29b23e_b.jpg

Block Tie

2 Image HDR/DRI. Changi Beach, Singapore.

Took me a few post-processing tries as I wasn't too satisfied with the way it looked. Stricken and out of ideas, I once again went ahead with high key post-processing - a surefire and cliché way of doing it.

16668220618_26657ea6ca_b.jpg

Land Of Make Believe

3 Image HDR/DRI. Changi Beach CP6, Singapore.

Final shot of the series and ended up with a stupid selfie shot. I have to admit rarely do I see a huge boat anchored and not on water.

...Just like the dreams I hold onto, knowing they can never set sail.

200315 UPDATE:
- Colour corrected the ground.
- Increased highlights of the boat a little.
- Cleaned up some dust spots.

Last edited:

16885437546_85265587ed_b.jpg

Habitat Of The Skies

2 Image HDR/DRI using Haida 10 stop filter + LEE 3 stop filter totalling 13 stops for smoothed cloud effects. Bishan, Singapore.

I didn't want it in B&W. It doesn't have the particular mood or emotional impact as opposed to colour and it feels rather, "Meh." Commonness aside, I don't think long exposures should just be B&W. It doesn't work that way and the shot has to be conceptually designed for it.

Great place to test out the Sgima 18-35 f1.8 ART lens. In all honesty I felt like selling the lens and going for a fast 50mm f1.4 prime instead especially if I upgrade to a 5D MK IV. I shoot personal events from time to time, and I think it's time that I revamp my lens arsenal after so many years.

16357785434_7e13e7284a_b.jpg

The Habitat Up Close

2 Image HDR/DRI using Haida 10 stop filter + LEE 3 stop filter totalling 13 stops for smoothed cloud effects. Bishan, Singapore.

2nd shot of the series but this time much nearer. Had another shot with just the building alone but the lamp post does help to keep the visual balance of the picture.

As the minutes went by I wanted the same high contrast clouds as did the previous shot but dark rain clouds came and ruined the skies. Did the best I could with long exposure.

Once again, I do not like the way it looked in B&W as it does not achieve that mood and vision I am looking for.