Start off for amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new Olympus E500 with 2 kit lenses - a wide and medium zoom, and medium to long tele - all for below $1K.

From what you have said it can do maybe 100% and more of all that you want to do with a digicam, now.

Only when you go on to do - if ever - macros, low light, super long range, super wide angle or super fast targets do you need to add lenses and other accessories, and by then technologies have moved and you can consider then what will be the 2nd or 3rd generation from today. And then also you better know what you can and want to do.

So do you have any more cause for hesitation?

hmm, what people will normally tell you here in this case is, do not jump into SLRs just because you think it is supposedly able to take better pictures. people can take equally good pictures with simple point and shoot cameras, or even prosumers.

SLRs give you more freedom to control the different parameters of photo taking, for eg. aperture and shutter speed , white balance control etc. It is very much like prosumers.

The difference between prosumers and SLRs is that you have the ability to change different lens for SLRs, so you have a greater range of specialized lens at your disposal, such as macro, tele lens(super long range lens). other than that a prosumer will be good enough.

so it really depends on your needs. Don't get an SLR cause its like the more advanced equipment. It does not mean that if you have an SLR you will become very pro and take good pictures. many a time, people find out that the SLR is more than they can handle and find out the pictures they take turn out worst than what they get from a point and shoot.

so do think about it. if you are willing to learn, do not feel weird carrying a SLR out and getting a few stares now and then, then go for it. it is a fun and rewarding experience. =)

Quite a bit have been posted (here and elsewhere) on what you can consider when choosing a camera.
Once you did that, my small advice is to check out the 2nd-hand sets offered in the BnS section, it's cheap(er) way to get into the hobby.

ps camera?

one more thing! is it good to get 2nd hand camera and where to?

ps camera?

PnS I believe : Point and Shoot
PS : Photoshop

and anyway, do think more first. Coz when you get into a system, you tend to stick with it and you'd have to continue with their flashes, lenses, cameras, etc...

Make a good study on the various brands out there, and if you have friends who owns different cameras, try them and see if you like the handling, feel, shooting capabilities and most of all, the cost.

2nd cameras are avail in shops, our BnS sub-forum here and online too.... But do consider it carefully, you may not know how the previous owner took care of the piece of equipment and if it's out of the warranty period, repairs may cost you dearly.

recommend that you get EOS300D ... nice basic camera ... 2nd hand probably ard $500-600. The price of cameras is falling by the day, may be better to jus learn using 300D and then progress from there ... It is definitely better to dump ur money into lenses ...

DUMP MONEY IN LENSES?

What kinda of advise is this. Should be invest lah.

By the way, 300D body is too plastic to my liking. A D50 will win it anyday.

one invisible post. Sub 1K Pentax K100D or a K10D if you're feeling just a little bit richer.

one more thing! is it good to get 2nd hand camera and where to?

B&S subforum. Most users are relatively responsible but some are less so, so get only from those that you think you can trust. There is also a risk of buying a stolen product if you ain't sure, me neither.

I would suggest that only if you are comfortable with the above.

for total newbies, it is easier to go by budget and by rules of exclusion to narrow down.

for example, for myself only, i would exclude the 4/3s becos i like a wider shots without post processing cropping. I wanted a brand with responsible consideration of old customers and with reasonable degree of backward compatibility, so off goes even the largest giant. I wanted a system of reasonable fast focusing (lens dependent) and good handling. that is how i would list and exclude along the way - not exactly fair to the brands that are excluded for strengths they have, but it makes things easier.

since you got the budget, it makes the options clearer. but do remember to spare a little sum for some basic accessories, which i propose to be at least $250-300 for a good UV filter, an extra battery, a lenspen and maybe a small shoulder bag (i guess girls have no suitable padded bags for that out of your own collection).

and last of all, get this idea in. most brands have sufficient performance today to produce good photos on the technical aspect, some are easier than the others and that is about it. hence the choice is not so important in this case, although lens addition/investment is a important consideration on whether you should get committed to the system. as a newbie, however, that is not the question at this point of time.

if the brand that you got fails you, the bottleneck is often the user and not the equipment, and changing the equipment will not help. you can only blame the equipment when you know the feature fairly well enough and knows what other equipment will provide when this one doesn't.

get a guy friend who knows some stuff to accompany you in the shop or meetup for 2nd hands.

Hi, I'm just wondering any kind souls out there willing to give me advices on what model and brand of camera to buy?
I just need a simple(not that professional of cause), good(duhh) and not that expensive one.
I've got a budget of let's say below 1k?
Anyone? :)

Since this year, I had finally decided to pick up some hobbies I left behind before I grow old and senile. And I zoomed in on photography, since that was my first interest since 35mm film era. I need a catalystic camera to carry on the spark, and was surfing and trawling across the Internet for months before narrowing it down to S3IS and FZ8. In between surfing, I came across dSLRs which I consider them the deep pool (for the real enthusiaists and pros) and wondering the crossover is worth the effort and moolah.

Just been to Courts Tampines this afternoon, and as some bros suggested, brought along my memory cards for some snap trial. I tried on some dSLRs and later compact superzooms. I was blown away by the stark difference in clarity from the viewfinders to the end-products. I couldn't force myself to look into an EVF after I tried on the dSLRs'. Now, I don't have 6/6 vision, but the difference is like day and night; I could count the grains on a S3IS! Everything was fast, clear and with better ergonomics overall, making compacts feel like toys. Of course I'm not deriding the compacts - I am still using them!

It dawned to me that somehow, being a dSLR justifies its costs (and future hassles, from lenses to other accessories), and to have an all-in-one no longer interests me that much. Of the dSLRs I tried, the D40 strikes me as an easy-to-use, almost idiot-proof camera. After reading some reviews and tech-specs from the Internet, I could actually take photographs! I find that amazing considering I was a film- and later a PNS- kinda person. In short, I was sold (like an instant slave!) :lovegrin:

If you are an amateur considering a $1K camera that would not be an overkill, that would not stifle your interests along the way, but still gives you room to move into photography nirvana, I guess you should go the entry-level dSLR way (the D40 was going at $1088, of course, you can get it cheaper at other places). Canon was a little steeper though. Once I uploaded the pics to my computer back home, it just further cements the notion that dSLR is the way to go.

In short, I think PNS gives you the versatility to go anywhere, but these little behemoths gives you the compass to where your interest lies. ;)

I've found my calling. Hope you find yours too! Happy hunting, cheers! :)

Brother, welcome to the darkside.

I've heard of darkside in motoring forums, ie. turbo and supercharging.

Now photog forum also got a darkside? :bsmilie:

I've heard of darkside in motoring forums, ie. turbo and supercharging.

Now photog forum also got a darkside? :bsmilie:

Got...

we're called Nikon... Only dark lenses apply here... ;)

Thanks for the invitation... darkside, black art, whatever! :devil:
Haven't heard from Gael yet.

i think somehow i've settled on canon 300D. maybe...maybe. i'll keep u guys updated! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.