starhub maxonline is it got problem now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you added any firewall (software/hardware)? i learnt from my colleague that this is usually the number one culprit if all else is constant from ISP.

no change to router config. if it was the computer then i would expect 7mbps using direct connect also.

For the last week or so, youtube has lagged like crazy... Or is it just on starhub?

this is very puzzling....i spent the last 2 nights trying to figure out why direct connection to modem gives me 12mbps but going thru netgear wgr614 router gives me only 8mbps. i finally decided to give my apple time capsule another shot and today it is giving me the full 12mbps! just few days back it was giving me 8mbps also.

so my conclusion for now
1. my netgear router is seriously whacked.
2. my time capsule needs a break every now and then :sweat:

:dunno:

Last edited:
thanks for sharing.
ah, i remember i once had router problem as well. its so bad i had zero transfer rate on an ad hoc basis. call help line and located a faulty router. from then on, i connected direct from modem.

after sometime, equipment degrade. and not all hardwares built for 24x7. good to switch it off when not in use. anyway, router is quite cheap. around $60 can get a decent one out there. all those transfer rates are not impt as your cable wont reach those bandwidth to begin with.

not really true....in my case i can see a lot of difference when downloading from itunes store. movie downloads that take under an hour can take as longs 24 hours or more. anyway i going to keep an eye on this for a while.

lag lag lag lag lag.

yeah with router it's slower... but it's not supposed to be THIS slow when accessing overseas websites.

speedtest runs me 2000 on direct connection, 1600 on router.

but it's really a huge difference from the 9000 on router i used to get.

damn it.

lag lag lag lag lag.

yeah with router it's slower... but it's not supposed to be THIS slow when accessing overseas websites.

speedtest runs me 2000 on direct connection, 1600 on router.

but it's really a huge difference from the 9000 on router i used to get.

damn it.

yeah i think we have used routers long enough to know when something is not right. tests using speedtest.net to the singapore server should give you close to the advertised bandwidth for your plan. you can also use starhub's own bandwidth test to confirm. tests to US servers is a different matter.

it is clearcut if tests using direct connection do not yield the desired results and we can easily get starhub to rectify it. in your case you say you used to get 9000mbps on router but direct connection now only 2000? give starhub a call.

Yeah, I also suspect there is something wrong with Starhubs broadband, since a few weeks ago, I noticed sending pics to Photobucket or eBay takea looooong time to upload.....first I thought it was because I was doing it at night (around midnight) and perhaps there were others in my flat doing games or downloading. But then during the day (not weekend) uploading also is lagging what it used to be normal.....

Will give Starhub a call soon

HS

Yeah, I also suspect there is something wrong with Starhubs broadband, since a few weeks ago, I noticed sending pics to Photobucket or eBay takea looooong time to upload.....first I thought it was because I was doing it at night (around midnight) and perhaps there were others in my flat doing games or downloading. But then during the day (not weekend) uploading also is lagging what it used to be normal.....

Will give Starhub a call soon

HS

Photobucket has been a royal pain in the @$$ for me on Starhub too. On Singtel or Pacific it works in a snap though.

Reported bandwidth isn't too shabby, but the lookup and resolution times are awful!

Photobucket has been a royal pain in the @$$ for me on Starhub too. On Singtel or Pacific it works in a snap though.

Reported bandwidth isn't too shabby, but the lookup and resolution times are awful!
Yeah, but it wasn't as bad as now a few months ago, the last time I uploaded to Photobucket and eBay, so there is something wrong with either my router/modem or Starhub

HS

wrote a damn long complain to starhub and they have been calling me for the past few days like mad also..

crazily irritating.. i keep telling them that it has to do with their server side because my connection is obviously fine in the morning (i can get my usual 8000 on speedtest) but only 1200-1600 at night.. so it can't really be a problem with my house connection... though they keep wanting to come into my house to check.. what for, i ask?

told them they seriously should go and rectify their server side issues first.. even if at night all of a sudden my whole HDB block decides to log onto the internet, speeds shouldn't have an 80% drop... madness is there.

but the good thing is, at least they're finally cutting out the whole "ROUTER" bull and somewhat admitting there's some other issues.

Yeah, I tried to message them, and I get this message that I should first check if my router got problems. The fact that they put an automated message means many other people got the SAME problem, so I wrote them back whether they really think many people in Singapore suddenly have the same router problems? What is the chance of many people having the same problems with their router around the same period (the past few weeks)?????

HS

I understand that at night in the weekends the speed may go down because more people are on-line, but I am facing the same problem during the day whole day......

Yeah, I tried to message them, and I get this message that I should first check if my router got problems. The fact that they put an automated message means many other people got the SAME problem, so I wrote them back whether they really think many people in Singapore suddenly have the same router problems? What is the chance of many people having the same problems with their router around the same period (the past few weeks)?????

HS

I have problems with Starhub about 1-2 weeks back. At 1st, I tot it was Starhub's prob as everything seem fine, modem, router etc all working perfectly but the problem persist.

I tot of calling Starhub to complain, hesitated cos of the long waiting time. So I asked my bro for help since he is an IT person and he managed to solved the prob. Its the router. He said dunno what url or ip got stuck. Anyway, this the best I can describe cos I no It guy and dun quite understand what my bro said as well.

Maybe u should look into your router again. Good luck!

I have problems with Starhub about 1-2 weeks back. At 1st, I tot it was Starhub's prob as everything seem fine, modem, router etc all working perfectly but the problem persist.

I tot of calling Starhub to complain, hesitated cos of the long waiting time. So I asked my bro for help since he is an IT person and he managed to solved the prob. Its the router. He said dunno what url or ip got stuck. Anyway, this the best I can describe cos I no It guy and dun quite understand what my bro said as well.

Can ask him to write down for us what and how to check? If not too much work from him to do it?

I am also no IT guy.......

HS

Can ask him to write down for us what and how to check? If not too much work from him to do it?

I am also no IT guy.......

HS

I'm afraid have to wait till tomorrow cos he is asleep.

Your prob seems slightly different from mine. I almost totally can't access the Internet including CS but it seems that u have no probs. Your prob is only with Photobucket and ebay? I got problems with photobucket most of the time too. Very slow but other websites are ok.

Just disconnected the router, and directly connect my iMac G5 onto the modem, still very slow now (01:12 AM) and uploading pics to eBay also very slow. I gave these two sites as examples as they have many images to load in the page. Sometimes, mail yahoo also slow.....

I am not aware of firewalls on my imac (not sure if Mac has this)

HS

but like what hongsien said earlier, what are the chances that all the routers hit problems around the same time? anyway in my case i switched routers and still hit the slowness. i then switched back to my original router and all was ok. damn puzzling.

Just disconnected the router, and directly connect my iMac G5 onto the modem, still very slow now (01:12 AM) and uploading pics to eBay also very slow. I gave these two sites as examples as they have many images to load in the page. Sometimes, mail yahoo also slow.....

I am not aware of firewalls on my imac (not sure if Mac has this)

HS

if you experience slowness going direct thru modem then you should log a call with starhub.

Status
Not open for further replies.