Stanley Lim's shooting "tour" - 12th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
eh, i'm posting this because it's not meant to be a for-profit thing...

anyway, i was at stanley lim's yesterday, and joanne asked me if i could post on their behalf - they would be organizing a nature-based shoot with models (don't ask me the quantity/quality :D ) to probably 4 locations on 12th July 2003. these are the details in short:

1. cost - $50 (film users), $35 (digital users)
extra $15 is to cover one reel of film (didn't check number of exposures) and included development of the reel to 3R size. digital users can skimp that amount by being... digital! :D

2. locations - to be advised
the locations, stanley/joanne will be working them out.

3. light refreshments would be provided
note that i used "would", not "will" - since the operating costs were all explained in detail to me - there would be inherent costs due to having a bus all booked and "ready to go" for us, unlike most other shooting tours

4. group size - max 18 pax
if include model(s) and makeup artist, you must understand standing in a minibus is a real Gulliver's Travels chapter :D

interested folks, please indicate on the list below

eh, i'm posting this because it's not meant to be a for-profit thing...

anyway, i was at stanley lim's yesterday, and joanne asked me if i could post on their behalf - they would be organizing a nature-based shoot with models (don't ask me the quantity/quality :D ) to probably 4 locations on 12th July 2003. these are the details in short:

1. cost - $50 (film users), $35 (digital users)
extra $15 is to cover one reel of film (didn't check number of exposures) and included development of the reel to 3R size. digital users can skimp that amount by being... digital! :D

2. locations - to be advised
the locations, stanley/joanne will be working them out.

3. light refreshments would be provided
note that i used "would", not "will" - since the operating costs were all explained in detail to me - there would be inherent costs due to having a bus all booked and "ready to go" for us, unlike most other shooting tours

4. group size - max 18 pax
if include model(s) and makeup artist, you must understand standing in a minibus is a real Gulliver's Travels chapter :D

1.Patricc(Tentative)

Just came back from Stanley's shop. Joanne informed me that the outing will be postponed to 19 July because Stanley canot make it on the 12th.

cheers,
sfhuang

hi guy

i'm interested for the outing..can i join ?

just added your name to it, darktimus.

1. Patricc(Tentative)
2. darktimus

thks ...sehsuan

:gbounce: :rbounce:

was at stanley lim's shop yesterday also
it sounds very interesting
actually im considering going but its my last day of work, dun think i can get away :(

Okay... Latest update (and may be a duplicate of what Sehsuan has mentioned:

Date: Saturday, 19th July.

Time: Gathering at 14:45hrs at Stanley Lim's. A bus will come at 15:00hrs. We are expected to finish the shoot by 18:00+ hrs.

Cost for film users: S$50. The cost will cover the following:

a) Transportation
b) Light refreshments (Drinks)
c) Models: 3 models will be employed
d) One roll of film, development and print (3R)

That's all i know and was asked to report up till now. I believe Joanne is starting to collect deposits for this shoot (to cover the cost of the transports and model in the event of no show). Please call her for more details.

Cheers...

:)

err... where did the list go huh?

think it will be a good idea to keep track of the response... here it is:

[Interested folks, please indicate on the list below]
1. Patricc(Tentative)
2. darktimus
3. tert

:cheergal:

1. Patricc(Tentative)
2. darktimus
3. tert
4. sfhuang

Originally posted by sfhuang
1. Patricc(Tentative)
2. darktimus
3. tert
4. sfhuang
5.Joe (Tentative)

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but i do question the reason why people pay to partake in such a shoot....

Why does anyone feel the need to pay for photoshoot? To learn? Surely not... To oogle at the beautiful model... well, maybe... or then again, it could be the fact that you want to pick up the finer points in learning how to pose a model?

I doubt it.

Come, lets share why we need to attend paid model shoot?

One of the reasons i have heard is that it helps when you are "working" with a professional model... which is utter crock... Ask yourself very very honestly. What do you learn after you finish that 10-20 mins of shooting that model?

Anyone else has a reason that is more compelling? ;p

Ok why I pay... last time newbie think must pay then got things to shoot... but after hanging out with my Mentor... I learn the following things

1)If you are good, everyone you shoot is chio bu or yan dao
2)If you are not good, LF, MF or 35mm is not going to save u
3)Photoshop also have its limits
4)This kinda event definitely must pay and go shoot... so many tikos... just imagine all the blackmail opportunities for a meagre $35 (digital users) / $50 (film users) [In fact, broken leg also must go... just the chance to call others' bluff]

P.S. Thank you, Mentor

But seriously, sharing a real experience here
During the street festival, I printed some shots and shared it with some of the crew at various stations. Upon looking at the shots, a few ladies volunteered to be my models for free (gave me their contacts as well). Granted they are not Claudia or Cindy but I am not Russell Wong as well.

My pt is: if you wan to pay to do a good studio or outdoor shoot, by all means. Don stray from the path of learning. After which build a portfolio, carry it and share it with friends, relatives and strangers alive. Listen to what people say. And you wont be surprised when strangers ask to be your models.

Originally posted by Wolfgang
I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but i do question the reason why people pay to partake in such a shoot....

That's a good question; especially given that in recent times, there are a lot of such events being hosted.

Personally, i am taking a wedding photography course under Stanley; and an outdoor shoot is a part of what is covered by the course. I think the most impt part about this event is that we will be having Stanley around to guide us, to be on hand to give suggestions and pointers and to answer any question that we may have.

I've patronised Stanley's lab for quite a while; our relationship dates back around 8 years when he was operating in Tampines (okay, i shall not dwell too much into history): I think they're one of the most friendly people i've ever meet. They take the effort to adjust your photos to its best (so they say shooting with film is a partnership between the lab and you). Not only that, they've always taken the trouble to sit down with me and review my photos: "this shot is overexposed"; "that's underexposed"; "it will look better like this"; "you should always open up 1/2 - 1 stop with film". And indeed, i've learned alot from them... (and i'm sure many will agree). :) I've recently helped a friend out with his ROM shoots; its my first. With a lot of help from Stanley, the photos turned out quite good... IMHO.

If one considers the amount we pay; think about how much do they actually earn. Cost = S$50. Including one roll of film, one free development and 3R print (after the event is over where we get the opportunity to review our shoots with the help of Stanley). Refreshments, transport, models.

I think the very main reason why i've decided to go for this shoot is the opportunity to learn... Lighting techniques, angles, perspectives. I don't really care about how pretty the models are anyway... (btw, if i were to bring back REALLY good pix of the models, my galfren will grill me anyway).

A thought to ponder: At a cost of $50, less $30 for transport, film and development; we're not expecting pro models... ;)

Originally posted by tert
That's a good question; especially given that in recent times, there are a lot of such events being hosted.

Personally, i am taking a wedding photography course under Stanley; and an outdoor shoot is a part of what is covered by the course. I think the most impt part about this event is that we will be having Stanley around to guide us, to be on hand to give suggestions and pointers and to answer any question that we may have.

I've patronised Stanley's lab for quite a while; our relationship dates back around 8 years when he was operating in Tampines (okay, i shall not dwell too much into history): I think they're one of the most friendly people i've ever meet. They take the effort to adjust your photos to its best (so they say shooting with film is a partnership between the lab and you). Not only that, they've always taken the trouble to sit down with me and review my photos: "this shot is overexposed"; "that's underexposed"; "it will look better like this"; "you should always open up 1/2 - 1 stop with film". And indeed, i've learned alot from them... (and i'm sure many will agree). :) I've recently helped a friend out with his ROM shoots; its my first. With a lot of help from Stanley, the photos turned out quite good... IMHO.

If one considers the amount we pay; think about how much do they actually earn. Cost = S$50. Including one roll of film, one free development and 3R print (after the event is over where we get the opportunity to review our shoots with the help of Stanley). Refreshments, transport, models.

I think the very main reason why i've decided to go for this shoot is the opportunity to learn... Lighting techniques, angles, perspectives. I don't really care about how pretty the models are anyway... (btw, if i were to bring back REALLY good pix of the models, my galfren will grill me anyway).

A thought to ponder: At a cost of $50, less $30 for transport, film and development; we're not expecting pro models... ;)

I applaud your noble intention Tert but there are too many people who don't share the same manner of thinking the way you do... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.